Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Grace

I'm back...missed you

Rate this Entry
Hi folks, don't know if any of the old crew is here, but am hoping to be here more. I was awarded SSDI and that takes a lot of the stress off...so going to get back to life as it were even if it is mostly from bed. I've been feeling ashamed because I had gained weight back, but maybe this part of the journey is important to share as well... I may not be one of the super success stories, but Im back anyway, hoping to support as well as I can.

Submit "I'm back...missed you" to Digg Submit "I'm back...missed you" to del.icio.us Submit "I'm back...missed you" to StumbleUpon Submit "I'm back...missed you" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

welcome back Grace!
    Tell us about it, Grace. What happened? How long was it until you began gaining weight? Did you gain a little or a lot? What can we do to help? This can happen to anyone. Maybe if we can share together we will find that this is a normal part of the process. Glad to hear from you.
    Hi! It's always great to hear from you! I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time! Be gentle with yourself!
    Grace I went back and read your blog from 5-28-13. You and I both have been in the small percentage of patients who have serious side effects. I was tested for gastroperesis a few months ago but it was ruled out. Luckily I am able to eat better now than I was but I ended up with malnutrition induced neuropathy which appears to be permanent. I still suffer from dizziness when standing and walking due to low BP-I used to have high BP. I have just applied for SSDI and have professionals helping me with that-a benefit from my former employer. I consider myself lucky to be alive after all I went through. Glad you seem to be doing better. I am sure getting that gallbladder out had to be a good thing. I had to go back under the knife and have mine out 2 months after my sleeve was done.
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsibelle
    Tell us about it, Grace. What happened? How long was it until you began gaining weight? Did you gain a little or a lot? What can we do to help? This can happen to anyone. Maybe if we can share together we will find that this is a normal part of the process. Glad to hear from you.

Hi
    I'll give you the cliff's notes version. (well, my kind of cliff notes)
    I did great until a year out. Weight loss stopped at 10 months but I had dropped 117 lbs in less than a year so that didn't bother me as I felt after a rest it would start up again. Then a few things happened. I developed sweats, shakes, a tremor. I had a major life change a bit before and was at loose ends so I presumed this was my anxiety kicking up. (hubby and I are fine, this was something else) While dealing with that, at just after a year out I had gallbladder attacks that kept me up all night and had me doubled over with heat packs most of the day. I was told by my gastro to stop eating fats and did. Makes it a bit harder to stick to a high protein diet, but I tried smoothies and mush. This didn't help. It seemed like my body was rebelling against protein. I got anemic, malnourished but was bloated and had to go up a size at the same weight. Now, that stinks. Then there was a different type of belly pain, more central, a burning. Long story short, it took me 7 months of every test they could do before I let them do an EGD (I was scared with the sleeve) and they diagnosed chronic gastritis. The very next day I had a "hida scan" and they decided, finally, my gallbladder was full of sludge and had to go (the dye wouldn't go through). Gallbladder out in March, but the gastritis continues to this day. The stress on my body from the year of undereating and the other issues kicked me into a full blown reoccurance of my myalgic encephalomyelitis (aka Chronic fatigue). The tremor was diagnosed as essential tremor at first, then I saw my pcp and ultimately my endocrinologist and was finally tested for and diagnosed with post bariatric post prandial hypoglycemia ( elsewhere on this blog ). Now I know the tremor is my body reacting to my sugar being low.
    So, why I gained weight. Couple of reasons.
    1. I just couldnt stick to the plan with that much stomach pain. I cried the first few times I ate the pudding my gastro recommended, with protein powder mixed in (my idea) because I simply can't have sugar free and I knew the sugar would kick up my sugar addiction and it did. So I'm still battling that, especially during stressful times. Being brutally honest.
    2. I stopped being able to exercise. I had been swimming ( the only one I can do ) at the pool near my mother in laws house but when she passed on I had no reason to drive the 2 hrs there anymore and to be honest I was and still am in way too much pain to do it now. My metabolism is very low, bp is low (105/60 avg) and my pulse rate hovers around 55. My naturopath says it's adrenal insufficiency and is helping with herbals.
    3. depression. Being here was my outlet for over a year. Then I was here but was not losing weight, and was sick, and the others of my "sleeve class" were doing so well. I was really in the dumps and feeling like a failure. I hated my body, it was droopy, I felt (feel) really unsexy and had stopped wanting to be intimate at all. I gave up. I'd put in for SSDI with the help of a lawyer and money was tight. I ate. No excuses really. I just ate. It was like everything I'd denied myself for nearly 2 yrs was calling me and I just went for it and gained 15 lbs in literally one month.
    4. What's changed. I received my SSDI, just last week. That was a relief financially but also a source of pain as it's so permanent, to be labeled disabled is hard. My gastritis remains, but I seem to know what I can and cannot eat and have all the meds with me at all times. My ME/CFS is still kicking my butt, however I've accepted this is my life now. We put our house on the market to move closer to my kids and to the pool (hasn't sold but just getting ready helps emotionally). I cut some people out of my life who were toxic. I read a great book "how to be sick" that changed my view on who I am and is teaching me to accept little failures as teaching moments and to accept the love of those around me as genuine. Hubby and I are back in the sack as they say as much as I can be, and doing well.
    Things aren't perfect. Perhaps I'll never be a size 16 like I wanted. But I'd like to get back to my lowest post sleeve weight and learn to stay there if possible. Sometimes this journey can be far different than you picture, so it's better not to picture and just go with it....
    (fyi, this took me 3 hrs to type up, with resting in between)
    Quote Originally Posted by teresaloves2trvl
    Grace I went back and read your blog from 5-28-13. You and I both have been in the small percentage of patients who have serious side effects. I was tested for gastroperesis a few months ago but it was ruled out. Luckily I am able to eat better now than I was but I ended up with malnutrition induced neuropathy which appears to be permanent. I still suffer from dizziness when standing and walking due to low BP-I used to have high BP. I have just applied for SSDI and have professionals helping me with that-a benefit from my former employer. I consider myself lucky to be alive after all I went through. Glad you seem to be doing better. I am sure getting that gallbladder out had to be a good thing. I had to go back under the knife and have mine out 2 months after my sleeve was done.
    Sending you hugs Teresa - if I can be of any help or just a friend, my email is peace_harmony@live.com. Bear in mind it may take me a day to get back to you if it's a bad crash day with my ME/CFS. I'm glad you are seeing the right doctors!
    Grace, welcome back. I'm so sorry about your challenges but I'm glad you are taking care of yourself and getting the help you need.
    Hi Grace, sorry I missed this a couple of weeks ago. So sorry to hear of your troubles, but so lovely to see you. Healing thoughts your way, my friend.