Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bergamini

What No One Tells You About Dramatic Weight Loss

Rate this Entry
If you read anything today, make it this article: http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/11/what...ight-loss.html

I have previously blogged about some psychological challenges I was undergoing with the dramatic weight loss, my changing body image, the loose tummy, etc. This article nails it on the head!

A lot of people go in thinking if they lose weight all will be great. That's a big fat lie. We will be healthier and we may even look better, but most of the challenges in our life are going to remain.

I always tell people that there are plenty of people out there who are into bigger, fluffier, people ("chubby chasers", etc.) but there isn't a line of people waiting to hook up with us who have loose, hanging, skin. I'm glad I had this surgery to be as healthy as possible so it wasn't until months after reaching my wellness goals that I realized my body had changed and I needed to accept my new flaws. I mostly did but, of course, had the tummy tuck for both aesthetic and functional reasons. That's a lie. I had the tummy tuck for psychological reasons more than my looks, more than the moves I will be able to do better in yoga/pilates, more than it will help me running and playing tennis as well. Feeling normal in my skin is why I coughed up the dough and went through the pain of that plastic surgery.

It is a great journey we are on, but we have to go in with our eyes wide open and now that there are challenges.

I did laugh about the people who lost 60-70# talking about their challenges when many of us are going to lose 2-3 times that but it's all relative and I'm sure someone 75# overweight was as unhappy about it as me being 125# overweight.

Submit "What No One Tells You About Dramatic Weight Loss" to Digg Submit "What No One Tells You About Dramatic Weight Loss" to del.icio.us Submit "What No One Tells You About Dramatic Weight Loss" to StumbleUpon Submit "What No One Tells You About Dramatic Weight Loss" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was 70 when I had this surg. I knew that I would have lots of interesting changes to this bod. I truly wanted to get and stay healthier before it took my health away, and at this age not a great thing. I have made it to goal weight, able to laugh at the funny stuff with my skin. I look good in clothes, I won't be going to any nude beaches so not a problem. My partner has no problem with how my skin sags, guess being older makes that part easier.
    I miss the losing part, the highs of watching the scale going down, clothes getting loose,etc. Lots of stages to go through in this journey. I worry about some of the younger ones who have unrealistic expectations or misinformation. Do this with emotional support, a realistic idea of where it will go, love you and get healthy. Cheers
    Thank you for sharing this article. Powerful issues.
    This was a Great Article. I have to admit I saw the photos and watched the video and I really didn't think her body looked that bad. I personally think a heavy obeese body looks a lot worse. She did have the excess skin in the stomach area but I am sure before her surgery that what is now excess skin still hung over her, maybe it was a bit tighter and not as wobbly but it was still there. So that excess skin she had when she was heavy its now flatter either way you look at it, It Is Still Excess Skin. I know from doing a lot of research on the internet and making a lot of phone calls and talking to a lot of doctors that Insurances now are getting a little more leanient (sorry for the misspelling) on surgery for the excess skin now. You just have to get to the right doctor and the doctor has to know how to code it for the Insurance Companies. Insurance Companies want to hear and see "Medically Necessary" and when that comes into play, most likely they pay. Well those are my opinions. Hope everyone is having a great day.
    That article is exactly what I am scared to death of but have come to the realization that if it happens it happens and there is a way to get rid of it. I already know it is going to happen because my stomach is already a little hangy. I have made peace with it.
    Ty 4 the article
    I don't know how I will feel when I get there, but for the first time in almost 12 years I am starting to believe that I might actually get there, or really, really close. Thanks for taking the time to blog. Your perspective is valuable.
    I too appreciate this blog... At 55 yrs of age and about 120 lbs to lose I know that I will have sagging skin, tits, ass, tummy and whatever else will sag! It is what it is however I would rather be weight healthy then healthy fat. I say healthy fat because I do not have any of the other illness associated with being over weight such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc. I do however have knees, feet and hips who hate me! So for the sake of my feet, knees and hips I am going to lose the weight and understand from the get go that saggy skin is going to be the trade off...

Be healthy and Happy!
    Thanks, I do have to say so far my skin is sagging and completely grosses me out. I don't and will never be able to do anything about it. So I will live with it and cover it up with clothes. But I feel a hell of a lot better almost 70 pounds lighter, my health is better and with clothes on I feel wonderful and look wonderful. I have read that saggy skin is a concern that people have so they won't do the surgery. Dying concerned me more. So I will take saggy skin over being in the ground.
    You will definately feel so much better in those areas, I "only" had to lose 66 pounds off of my 5'1"body , but my hips, legs and feet are so happy now! I didn't have any other health issues either, just fat!! I dont have a whole lot of saggy skin, but its not pretty either. Will have to figure out what to do about it, not bad enough to have the drastic measure of major plastic surgery. I will however be getting my volume replaced in my girls,back to the D cup I had presleeve!

yrs of age and about 120 lbs to lose I know that I will have sagging skin, tits, ass, tummy and whatever else will sag! It is what it is however I would rather be weight healthy then healthy fat. I say healthy fat because I do not have any of the other illness associated with being over weight such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc. I do however have knees, feet and hips who hate me! So for the sake of my feet, knees and hips I am going to lose the weight and understand from the get go that saggy skin is going to be the trade off...

Be healthy and Happy![/FONT][/QUOTE]
    Thank you for sharing this information. I'm concerned about the sagging skin, but my other health issues are so much more important. I hope that my leg, feet, and joint pain will get better. Best of luck to you and your success!
    I knew going in because of my starting weight that I was going to have sagging skin and boobs. What I wasn't expecting was that although my original bra band size decreased by a whopping 6 inches, my cup size increased! Say what! I thought I would be able to get some pretty things from the "pink store" when I was done. But now, even with deflated boobs, I am a G cup. Craziness! It is because the cup size is a ratio between the band size and breast size. Sigh.... And at age 58, I knew that I was going to have issues with sagging skin. I watched the slide show and I know I have seen this young lady before. She looks wonderful to me. Lucky for me, my husband says he will love whatever is left of me. But as I look at myself, I know that I am not going to want to live with this for the rest of my life. I will ultimately want a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see what he/she can do for me. But at 83lbs down, I am rejoicing with each pound and each pants size I go down. Thank you Gastric Sleeve.
    Thanks for the article. I was thinking the other day about the sagging skin and the likelihood of getting it taken care of. I am a lot older then her, so I feel bad that she has the sagging skin to deal with. All of us are not in a financial position to get things fixed. But the bigger question is what will be our new excuse for things gone wrong with health, life, relationships once the weight is gone. Just goes to show that happiness truely comes from the inside and how you decide to live your life. Thanks for sharing.
    I agree with Ladyinwaiting. Happiness comes from the inside. And, having just gone through a tummy tuck, I will tell you it's a major procedure and disrupts your life -- and I am having an excellent recovery, comparatively. I know it will look great, but man there is definitely a price to pay.

If you focus on the scale, or how you look naked, there is bound to be disappointment. If we focus on how much healthier we've all become, undoubtedly there will be more joy.
    Thanks for the very interesting article and artist page
    A wonderful thread. Thank you for sharing!
    I had watched some of that womans you tube videos recently. The skin surgery helped her look and feel better. Not all can afford it though. It really can make a big impact. Kudos to anyone that can and braves it