Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

while.im.still.young

Checking in ;)

Rate this Entry
Hello my lovely sleevers and soon-to-be's

I was sleeved on August 27, 2013 - Today marks 8 weeks post-op. It's hard to believe that it's been almost 2 whole months. Time has really flown by.

I don't have much to report at this point, things are going pretty smoothly.

The basics:I'm still introducing new foods into my diet on a regular basis and I haven't had many problems yet. I've found that ground beef is the most tricky for me. I still have to use wet condiments on the more dense proteins but my nutritionist says that it's fine at this stage. I have no hunger at all yet. It's the weirdest feeling. My nutritionist said that it probably will come back, it just varies from person to person on how long it takes to return. I'm not looking forward to it sneaking up on me.

As far as exercising goes, I'm still not at my pre-surgery work-out routine yet but my energy levels are slowly increasing so I'm sure I'll be back at it before long. Before surgery I was in the gym 4-5 times a week, doing 1 hour of cardio each time. Now, I do about 3-4 days of 30-35 minutes of walking. I was hoping to have been released to start some weight lifting by now but my exercise consultant wants me to wait until my next visit with her at 3 months out.

Some bads:I said things have been pretty smooth, and that's the truth but there are a couple things that I'm noticing that I absolutely hate. First, the hormonal changes are kicking my skin's butt. I feel like I'm 15 again with all these blemishes popping up on my face. I switched face wash brands and foundation types and neither have helped. I'm having to use a lot more concealer than I had in the past. I'm ready for that to go away. Second, I am sleeping terribly! I find myself waking up 3-4 times every night. Not to go to the restroom, not for a glass of water, just because my mind thought it was time to wake up. Each time I wake up, I'm only awake for about 5 minutes then I doze right back off but 5 minutes each of the 4 times is 20 minutes of lost sleep. I can definitely feel that I'm missing each of those 20 minutes the following morning when I'm trying to pry myself off of my pillow. It's becoming very annoying.

Some cool NSV's:
My sister and went shopping this weekend and went to Sears because they were having a pretty good clearance sell on a lot of summer-type clothing. Of course there wasn't any plus size clothing on any of the clearance racks but I came across a really cute pajama set so I bought it knowing that I would be able to fit it soon enough. I bought it in an XL and to my surprise, IT FIT PERFECTLY! It was pretty awesome being able to shop on the clearance rack and even more awesome fitting into something that didn't have a number in front of the X. I had another great NSV yesterday, I was on my way out of the office for my lunch break and noticed that a contractor's ladder was blocking the exit. With half of his head in the ceiling, he asked "Do I need to move?", I said "Nope, I'm good." and slid right past him and his giant ladder. 6 months ago, I would have probably bumped the ladder with my gut or hip while trying to squeeze by and sent him flying on to the floor. My sleeve saved his life too and he didn't even know it. Hahaha.

Something to think about: On top of my NSV, I had a not so proud moment yesterday as well. I'll start by saying, there are a million threads on this forum along the lines of "what did you tell people?". I have chimed in on quite a few of them myself. All of my responses being hypothetical of course because I hadn't had surgery yet. I told myself that when I was asked what I'm doing to lose weight, I would not lie.. BUT.. I made the decision that I was not going to openly say I had weight loss surgery. So yesterday, an ex-coworker of mine (one that I was never very chummy with to begin with) stopped by the clinic on personal note and decided to come by and say hello to the ladies in my department. Had I been sitting at my desk when she walked in the door, nothing probably would have been said.. but because I was standing, with my jacket hanging off of my thinned arms, my pants looking super baggy on my thighs, the first thing she said was "Wow! You've lost weight!". No harm in that... I just responded "Yeah, I've been trying to lose some." Then came.. "What did you do, go and have that surgery too?" followed by a bout of her own laughter. -Keep in mind, one of the other ladies in my department is nearing 2 years post-op from her sleeve.- The tone in this lady's voice just rubbed me the wrong way and the laugh she added on the end felt like she was taking a subliminal shot at my co-worker. The smugness in her tone when she asked the question was like she was confident that she already knew the answer before she even asked it... So what did I do? I surprised her with a big, bold faced lie. I simply replied "No.", smiled, and returned to my desk. I instantly felt bad because I told myself over and over that I wasn't going to lie about having the surgery. However, I wasn't going to set myself up to be judged by this woman either. It was a very odd position to be put in. I wasn't prepared for it, that's for sure.

Now for the numbers:
As of this morning, I am 45lbs down from surgery day and 65lbs down since my heaviest weight in April of this year. I plan on updating my pic soon so you guys can see the changes and not just have to read about them.

I hope y'all enjoy the rest of your day!

Submit "Checking in ;)" to Digg Submit "Checking in ;)" to del.icio.us Submit "Checking in ;)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Checking in ;)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What an awesome update! to funny about the ladder! LOL You know I too have decided to not tell people about my surgery,just the thought of having to explain to each and every person why I did it made me uncomfortable and my weight loss is not all about my surgery! It has to do tons with my exercise regimen and my commitment to eating well. My husband told his friend and he in part told his wife who then told theirs daughters and now when they see me its always "that surgery is working!"uggghhh NO! its me that has been hard at work! 6 days a week 2 hours a day weight training and doing cardio! arghhhh lol it frustrates me a bit if you haven't already noticed. Good going!
    OMG! They still have Sears??????????????????????????????

Love your blog, as always! To hell with that smug lady, and that's exactly why I don't tell people. Nasty comments, glares, judgment etc. Don't feel bad though, just get more creative with your verbiage. Smug lady "What did you do, go and have weight loss surgery?" Ashley "girl stop, your so crazy".
    awesome update! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you're doing since you haven't checked in with us in a little while...Keep doing what your doing! 45 lbs is impressive and 65 lbs overall is fantastic!
    Congrats 2 u, keep up the good work
    So great to hear from you!! Congrats on your awesome weight loss and the whole XL pajama thing. Can't wait for the day I fit into anything regular sized. Keep up the awesome work!!
    Thanks your blog is uplifting and put a smile on my face. Your doing fantastic! Great to hear :-)
    Awesome blog!
    Congratulations on all you scale and non-scale victories and you don't have to justify yourself or our decisions about your body to anyone. When someone asks if you have lost weight just smile and say yes I have thanks, you don't have to add anything else. If they continue to pry, just cut them off with how great your life has been with all the healthy eating and exercise you have doing. They don't need to know about surgery and since the whole exercise and healthy eating is your life from now on, it's not a lie. Keep up the spirits, the positive attitude and all your hard work!!!

Hey gal! I've missed your posts! I actually searched through the forum posts till like 350 something to find out who you were. LOL! You were sleeved a week or two before me and I was watching to see how you were doing - and then you disappeared! Glad to hear things are going well for you and that you are seeing changes in your body! It's so cool to go shopping and buy clothes off of the regular racks isn't it!