Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirleybird

stomach sleeper

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone. I was wondering is anyone had trouble sleeping on their stomach after surgery. I realize that it probably will be a few months, but I have always slept on my stomach and hope I can eventually go back to sleeping that way without any pain or discomfort.

Submit "stomach sleeper" to Digg Submit "stomach sleeper" to del.icio.us Submit "stomach sleeper" to StumbleUpon Submit "stomach sleeper" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and basically the answers, like everything else having to do with getting sleeved, were across the board. Propping yourself up on your side with pillows may be the only way to get close to stomach sleeping for the first few weeks, I think.
    I was sleeping on my stomach as soon as I got home from the hospital but I also had no pain and never took any pain meds- I don't think that is the case for everyone. Good Luck
    About a week for me.
    5 days to a week
    I'm at 4 weeks and just started sleeping on my side.
    I slept on my stomach about 1 week out. It was glorious! Never slept that well in my recliner or on my back in bed.
    The same day of my surgery that was the only way I could get comfortable on my stomach. My doctor said nothing would hurt it. You wont know until you try it.
    thanks everyone. I appreciate all the information about sleeping on my stomach.
    One of the factors is whether or not your surgeon puts an internal stitch into your muscle wall for the largest incision. Some surgeons do it, some don't. If they don't you'll be fine very soon to go back to stomach sleeping. If they do (and mine did) it was bloody hard and painful turning over in bed for the first month. It felt like I had a tearing pain at times which was momentarily quite excruciating. Once I understood what it was and that it didn't mean anything bad then it was fine, and it was tolerable because it stopped again as soon as I got into a comfortable position. But no way could I have slept on my stomach for probably 5 weeks or so. I think I first slept on my side after about 3.5 weeks.

I'm a stomach sleeper, and went back to it once that pain stopped. I also got used to sleeping on my back very quickly while I was in those first few weeks recovery. If you get pain from trying to roll over, your body soon learns unconsciously to stop trying to do it, even while asleep. Try not to worry, we're pretty adaptable things!