Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Lil Sis

Intrusive??

Rate this Entry
POST-SLEEVERS

How do you respond to family, friends, even strangers who compliment your dramatic weight loss but then follow it up with asking HOW MUCH you lost??

Do you give actual numbers? I understand sharing with those closest but the nosy co-worker/neighbor/PTA Mom is bound to ask!

Submit "Intrusive??" to Digg Submit "Intrusive??" to del.icio.us Submit "Intrusive??" to StumbleUpon Submit "Intrusive??" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I've lost a lot of weight before and whenever anyone asked I would proudly shout it to the world. I never actually told them how much I weighed, mind you....just how much I have lost. It's just a personal preference and a comfort zone thing, though. Go with whatever you are comfortable with!
    Just say thanks and use the "a lady doesn't discuss her weight" to appease them. I know I have lost a lot and still have a lot to lose, I'm not going to tell people the details. I'm getting healthy and that's that. Good luck.
    I know what you mean! In the beginning it was fun to say how much i was loosing...I was also proud of myself for what i was accomplishing. After a while though, it seems that that is all someone asks you about. So i just started saying "i stopped weighing myself, now i am just eating right and enjoying seeing myself shrink!" After a couple times of that... they stopped asking me. Now all i hear from them is "gee, looking good!', then NORMAL conversation! hehehee Good luck in however you choose to handle it. Like everything with this sleeve... there are many different ways to handle things..it comes down to personal preference in what you are comfortable with.
    Maybe tell them in inches/dress sizes?
    I say I have lost 70 pounds but never say what my actual weight was or is.
    Also I didn't tell anyone that I had the procedure so they see continued lifestyle change of eating less and exercising more (I lost almost 50 pounds pre-op and much less post).
    I tell them how much I have lost but not what my actual weight is now. If they ask further questions, I say that I plan to lose about 50lbs more and see how things are at that point.
    I have told everyone I had the sleeve and I tell anyone who asks exactly how much I have lost, which is 83 pounds so far). I see it as accountability...the more people who know, the more people who will be watching for me to gain it back and stop me! LOL
    HA! Luke, your funny. A dress size is like the weight number to most women, big NO NO!

I have intrusive "in laws", and I would say "I am eating healthy, and exercising and just really feeling good, I track my success in other ways than standing on a scale"

Brentymac- that is awesome for you, not everyone has the same support/same neighbors/ same co workers/ same in laws, what I am saying is, what works for you, may not be what works for others.

Best of luck,
    Something purposefully vague like I'm trying not to obsess over numbers, just focusing on my health should give them the hint. If they ask again they're just being rude as opposed to thoughtless.
    Sometimes I've told people, and sometimes I've expressed it as a percentage/proportion of how much I had to lose overall (not any more now that I'm at goal). So someone would say "wow how much have you lost" and I'd say, "oh I'm about half way to my goal weight".
    I've told people that I've lost enough to feel healthy and leave it at that. It's great to share but some things should be personal. If someone comes up and ask you "how often do you and your partner/spouse have sex" do you answer???
    It doesn't bother me.....I'll give numbers if they ask. If they have known me long enough they know I was not 120 pounds. ;p
    I don't want to share. I don't want to emphasis how much I weighted, rather celebrate where I am now (when that time comes). I have told my husband that I will never admit to more than 40 lbs, although I am looking on the upwards of 120lbs. Then again, I'm not telling anybody I am having a sleeve, either, other than my parents and siblings. My siblings know b/c one already has been sleeved, the other is on the fence. I know I would not be doing this if it wasn't for my sleeved sibling. Other than that, we don't talk about it outside our immediate family. I also don't bug my brother how much weight he has lost so far. It's none of my business, but if he wants to share, I'm happy to listen. RIght now I bug him about how he feels, what he's eating, exercising, etc. We live 500 miles apart so I cannot see his physical changes.
    Thanks for the great ideas. I suppose it will depend on who is asking and what MOOD they catch me in ;-)
    I give them actual numbers. I have EARNED every pound and every ounce lost...so I am loud and proud where my weight loss success in concerned