Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Phoenixrise

Support with old challenges Post Op

Rate this Entry
Hey I am a year out as of yesterday and I have not been on the forum recently but all that is about to change I plan to jump back on here and provide more blog entries for those who actually liked reading my posts and hearing what I had to say. I thank you all so much for those who found my words encouraging and help them make the decision to have this surgery done.

I wanted to write something for those who are still considering it because this is something not really discussed. This is my thoughts on facing old challenges while skinny. When a lot of us got this surgery we were down and depressed especially if you had to lose 80- 100 lbs starting. Just the thought of those numbers are intimidating alone. I went in thinking hey if I get this I WILL feel a lot better about me and the problems I face now if they come to me skinny I will be able to handle them better because of my new found confidence after WLS. Now when the year started I was really happy I had a job I loved and worked with patients and everything seemed so perfect I only envisioned things only getting better. Then life hit me and I was not prepared for what came next that I would lose everything I had in the beginning to be somewhere I was told I would never be. I took it hard and it hurt me that I started slipping I wanted to slip in depression but I wouldn't allow me to slip that far as I use to when I was bigger.

I AM GOING TO BE HONEST what got me through it was support of my fellow WLS patients who told me how far I CAME and not to stop doing what I do because like I WAS THERE for them they would be there for me. So before surgery I DIDN'T' HAVE THE SUPPORT I had after surgery, so no I do not face the same issues as I did before depressed and feeling alone. I found a group of men and women who know how I felt and who have been there. We encourage one another we help one another the support system I set up on the forums and groups I am in is something i DID NOT COUNT ON but is a very essential tool to get through this. I met friends who want me to be happy and seeing the weight drop off them makes me happy because we share photos. I am surrounded by progress and happiness so getting that support system is key to your weight loss.

I made a group for surgery buddies on here to help with the anxiety for some of traveling abroad to Mexico, and to have someone they can speak with until then or even link up with while there. For those who needed a cultural perspective because weight loss is slower in African Americans I created a group for us as well and that helps a lot for me too. Because there are certain things with my hair, skin, weight loss that i notice is natural among other AA's that I was not noticing in none AA'S. I also started the MEXICO sleevers for those wanting input about going to MEXICO. I know how important this is and I want to provide as much tools and knowledge as I can. I am doing what I CAN to give you all the most information and help you need for a successful weight loss journey. I know many people do not tell family or anyone about this surgery but sometimes it is good to vent a bit to those who relate most to your journey. Just keep that in mind if you feel this forum is not for you or you don't need the support. You may not but it is good to have just in case life hits you like it did me.

Submit "Support with old challenges  Post Op" to Digg Submit "Support with old challenges  Post Op" to del.icio.us Submit "Support with old challenges  Post Op" to StumbleUpon Submit "Support with old challenges  Post Op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thank you! Thank you! (wipes tears) I recently lost a job a really loved and took a huge pay cut so now I'm struggling. On top of that, both of my grandparents are very ill and probably won't make it six months. This is extremely over-whelming and now I have decided to add surgery to the chaos while I have insurance that covers most of it.

I can tell you that one response from someone here made a world of difference to me where I could not find support anywhere else. I understand what you are going through about losing everything. Being skinny doesn't help losing everything.

I am about a month out from surgery, I have support of my grandpa and mom, but my husband is not so supportive and Grandpa won't be around much longer. I'm not sure how my mom is really going to handle these changes I'm about to make since our relationship is a lot about food.

I can say though that complete strangers on here and been a God send. I agree 100 fold. Thanks for your posting! Sending prayers and encouragement your way.

Pip
    Thanks Pheonix.... Pip, hang in there. I know it's hard. Godspeed to you. I wish you the best and that the best can and will come through it all. We're here....BIG, large group of us. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandparents. Hugs. Jen
    I am going to Mexico, there are no WLS groups to join in my area, my family and this forum will be my support. Thank you Phoenix, and Pip, you will get through this - let us know how we can help
    I had surgery in Mexico too! I would have been happy to have it here in the U.S. but my insurance would not cover it. This website has been a God send and not once have I felt "less then" by anyone that posts here because I had surgery in Mexico. Everyone that I have had contact with here has been supportive, helpful, and willing to share their knowledge and experiences. I would have been lost without these people.

The truth is--We all have had the same struggles in one form or another.

Pip, you too will be an overcomer !! hang in there