Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

dackn8tr

Pressure to stop losing

Rate this Entry
Has anyone else gotten close to their goal and started hearing from their family and friends that they needed to stop losing? Scratch that, I passed my original goal back before Christmas and have added on another 25 pounds to lose just for good measure but now i'm wondering if that was the right decision ... i hate it when i let people get in my head this way!! I'm 9 1/2 months out of surgery, down 115 pounds from my start with the Bariatric program November 2011 and am starting to catch comments from all sides on this subject. My mom lives 2+ hours away so i only see her once a month or so and last weekend she looked at me and asks "You're done losing right?!?" "I really think it's time you stop" I have to tell you, that was very strange to hear coming from the woman who's always had a problem with my weight?!? I know it comes from a place of concern and yes i think i look healthy now and would be perfectly content at this weight, but I don't really think that the last 10 lbs i planned to lose will make me look sick. My husband and friends say I look great and that last few pounds won't make that much difference so if it makes me happy go for it, but my dad (who is divorced from mom and don't speak to her at all), my grandmother and the nurse at the dr's office all asked me the same question over the span of about 2 weeks. I guess I'll just leave it up to my body at this point, if i'm meant to stay at this weight i will and if those last 10 lbs aren't part of the plan then they'll go away with the rest of them The weight loss has slowed down so maybe my body's about done too ... i just know i feel better than i have in YEARS and i know that this surgery has saved my health, my sanity and very possibly my life if i hadn't stopped the insanity when i did! I love my sleeve with everything i have in me and i'll tell anyone who'll sit still long enough to listen to me about my journey! Ok, enough venting for now.

**Follow your dreams, they'll take you to beautiful places**

Submit "Pressure to stop losing" to Digg Submit "Pressure to stop losing" to del.icio.us Submit "Pressure to stop losing" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pressure to stop losing" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I had a similar experience with my PCP - she asked what my goal was and I told her 150, and for my height of 5'5" that is a BMI of 24.8 (just under 25) and my doctor said... that's really lean are you sure - OMG did my doctor just say that in a nice way that would be too thin!!! So I have changed my goal to a range, not a number... somewhere between 150 & 160 and I will be happy.
    I wonder if anyone goes too far and has the inverse problem here? Just curious.
    Lucy, i'm the same height as you and with the same end goal of 150... maybe that's just not going to look as good as we think it will! I'm not going to worry about the number anymore (as long as it doesn't go up that is!) I just plan to enjoy being healthy for a change

Luke - I wondered that too, I can see how it would be easy to take it to far the other way!!
    I think most of us hear those comments, but I also believe that as long as our goals are HEALTHY than we need to follow our hearts. I am close to goal and have heard about how "skinny" I am for most of the past couple of months. Now I have to say that there is nothing "skinny" about me. My boobs may be smaller and my ass flatter, but I am far from skinny
    I am 8 pounds from my surgeons goal, & 15 from mine & I told my friends that I would "revisit" the subject at 150 pounds which I am nearly there. Well I can tell you that I have already made up my mind, and I am aiming for MY goal. So as long as your goal is not hazardous to you health, I say have at it sister!
    I have gotten the "when will you stop?" or "how will you stop" questions from a few friends but I know I am not done. I still have about 20 lbs to my goal and if I feel there are a few more after that point then I will work to get that off because after everything I have done to get here I am striving for the BEST body I can get which to me doesn't mean skinny it means toned and strong. I say do what makes you happy and if you need to tell those people to back off. I know the ones who ask me those questions are all morbidly obese and I believe a part of them questioning me is their own almost jealousy that I have gotten here and they haven't. I know its just human nature when they come across that way but in some ways it pushes me harder. The more people tell me to stop the more I reaffirm my own personal goals and I know I can and will have the body that I earn for myself!. You look great and I hope you do what makes you happy and don't worry about those who would stand in your way to achieve your goals.
    No!!!!! I just got started sleeved on 2/1/13!!!!!! I'm sure it's ANNOYING but it's something I hope to experience lol!!!!! Best of luck to you!!!!!! You and your doctor know what's the best weight for yourself!!!!!! Personally I would like 5-10 pounds to play around with I think!!!!!! Your weight loss is phenomenal!!!!!!!
    Same here. But I still have +50lbs to lose. And people tell me I should stop losing! I don't know why. I think as long as you feel good in your own body you should do what is right for you!
    What is your current BMI? Even doctor has different opinions, my PCP said the ideal BMI is 22 I have decided to stop at where I am. However, she cautions me not to kill myself to get there. She is very impressed with my loss and very happy with my current weight. I am slightly below BMI 25. My surgeon said I shouldn't go much lower than that. I have excess skin.

I don't think people should tell you to stop losing weight. It is a personal choice. As long as you feel good, your lab work is good. Do what you want.

Remember people are not used to seeing the thinner you. They kept comparing you to the former you in their mind.
    I do not get sleeved until next Wednesday so I am looking forward to the journey..however, I can tell you there is "too skinny". Today I weigh 238. That is 33 pounds down in the last 3 months. My heighest weight was 271. I had life threatening health issues that piled over 125 pounds on in the last 4 years very rapidly. I was always struggled with my weigh most of my life but had managed to get it all off from 2005-2007. I am 5'10 and only weighed 142 pounds. I also have breast implants factored into that 142 pounds. So thats really about 140. My BMI was about 20. Technically that is still considered "normal"...trust me, it wasn't "normal"...not only was I obsessed, but you could see my ribs and I had I lost another 5-10 pounds it would have been awful. I can't imagine was a BMI of 18 would have looked like.

Its very important to just focus on HEALTH. Your WEIGHT is less important if its muscle tone. I have a 5'7 sister in law who is a cross fitter, size 6, rockstar fit...weighs 165. looks gorgeous. if anyone guessed her weight they would say 135 tops. You have to base it on how your clothes fit, how you feel, and your actual health...once you get to that comfortable zone. I have learned that the hard way.

I am so excited to be getting my life back once again thanks to this sleeve opportunity which will allow my health to return, fixing my medical issues and allowing the fitness to be regained! The things I had to learn the hard way are going to cause me to block out what anyone else has to say. Plenty people told me I was "getting to thin"...and they were right. I HAD lost control. Doesn't mean everyone will. Most won't. We are all programmed differently and its is OUR choice. Just know it is possible...what YOU think is the most important and you have to learn to recognize the NEW you and LOVE the NEW you.
    Hear this all the time and honestly it is music to my ears... I just take it as a compliment and go with it. I will decide when to stop losing. Not my mom, dad, or friends. I've been through this long journey and I will not hop off the train till i'm ready....
    Sometimes there is just no pleasing others. Go for what you are comfortable with.
    Oh boy. I just have to ask, how do YOU feel? Are you happy where you are? If not, then continue on until you are happy. No one can tell you at what point that will be, and you won't know until you get there!

This is something I have been thinking about myself a lot lately. I am just shy of my dr's goal for me, but about 11# shy of my goal. I have been thinking about whether or not I'll be happy with how I look at 140#. That was my original goal I had for myself. I'm in a size 6 jeans and a S-M shirt, but when I look in the mirror, I still see my tummy, thighs, and arms. Who knows what another 11# will do, there wasn't much change from the last 10#. I'll just have to evaluate it when I get there. If I'm still not happy, I plan on going in 5# increments until I am happy. I am now to the point that I really need to work on my muscle tone, my butt has completely disappeared. So I'm thinking that as I put on muscle, the weight will go back up a little, so if I get to about 130-135 and then add 5-10# of muscle, I'll be about right.

I totally agree with Munchkin though, people still have the heavier you in their mind's eye, and anything under that is "skinny." The people that you see everyday, they have adjusted to the new, skinnier you and it's no longer a shock.
    Munchkin,
    I'm surprised your PCP says the ideal BMI is 22, grrr that makes me mad because it just reinforces unhealthy rigid ideas. The whole idea of the BMI being a range is that it allows for different build types through the range. Two people at the same height but with different builds (one very slim hips/shoulders etc, one with more curves) will be healthy at different weights. When I get down to 22, my hip bones start poking out. I sat healthily around 23.5 - 25 for many years. Bollocks to your PCP
    Munchkin - my BMI right now is 26.7, if i hit my goal of 150 i'll be just into the "normal" range for my height. I guess what's keeping my going is the fact that even after all the weight i've lost i'm still wearing a size 12 jeans and large or x-large in shirts depending on how they're made (if i didn't have the "bat-wings" from hell i'd probably be in a medium but i'll have to deal with those a while longer) in my mind that still seems big but when i look in the mirror i'm happy with what i see. I've always carried my weight well, I'm a big boned girl with a sturdy frame so even at 277 no one realized I was that big - my mom had to pick her jaw up from the floorboard of her car when i shared that number with her a few weeks ago, she just couldn't believe it. In all honesty if i didn't lose another pound i'd be happy where i am, my husband tells me how fantastic i look most every day and he's my main sounding board for this - if he's happy then so am I but he also loved me for 9 years at my heaviest so maybe hes a little biased My LPN @ the bariatric center told me at 175 that i was probably done losing and she felt like i was healthy and would do well at that weight so they're not pushing any set numbers on my, i guess i'm going for 150 because i can! I mean, i only have a couple more months until my year anniversary so if i'm ever going to get it off now is the time right? Thanks to ALL of you for your support, concern and thoughts ... just another reason I love this site - where else can we go to vent, question and rage where at least someone else has been there and understands just what you're dealing with?!? You guys are the BEST!!