Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Neurorat

One Year Out...Musings, Observation and advice

Rate this Entry
Tomorrow marks my one year surgiversary. I have lost 78 pounds, 10 pounds below my revised goal. I have gone from being sedentary to exercising 5-6 days a week. I no longer avoid the stairs at work. I can be around all sorts of tempting food and my sleeve gives me the strength to stay on tack. No regrets.

Many people have asked me what I did to lose and how I maintain, so I thought I would break my experience into post op stages and share. This is only one way, and it worked for me; it may not be for everyone.

For anyone who thinks they are too busy, don't have time or have too many health issues, please use my experience as inspiration that you can do this. I am not extraordinary. I work over 80 hours each week and have one day off at the most per week. I have had Multiple Sclerosis since 2007. I focused in on me for this because I knew that if bariatric surgery failed, there was no where else to go. I used this to keep my eye on the prize. I worked my tuchus off and did it. My weight has been stable since November.

First 8 months:

I began by logging my food on Fat Secret and trying to keep my fluid intake and protein intake up. I had one protein shake a day, but it was a doozy, protein-wise. I used a packet of Shakeology mix, a scoop of Unjury unflavored protein powder, 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt and 1 scoop PB2 all mixed with water. It packed 480 calories and 60g protein. It took me all day to drink the shake, but it curbed my sweet cravings and helped me get my protein in.

I began with moderate work-outs with a trainer 2 weeks post op, avoiding any exercise that pulled at my abdomen for 4 weeks. We worked out 4 days a week for an hour doing plyometrics (explosive movements) and weights in circuit fashion to burn as many calories as possible. On my off days I began the couch to 5K program to do some cardio.

I kept my daily calorie intake at 1000-1200 calories a day. I ate 80 grams of protein per day (the majority from my super shake) and avoided any carbs that weren't veggies or fruit.

Months 8-10

I was at my goal at this point and had tired of my trainer, so I switched to running 3-4 days a week. I did an Insanity video or Brazillian Butt Lift video on the other 1-2 days. I was a little lax on my logging during this time, but I kept drinking my protein shake. My schedule was even more hectic than usual.

I began logging again at month 9 and kept my calories under 1200. I hit my 150 goal by the end of September.

Months 10-now
I was 10 pounds below my goal by Thanksgiving and wanted to stop losing weight. I began to up my daily calories by 25 calories a day each week until I stopped losing. I found this magic number to be 1350 + the 300 or so calories I burnt off exercising. I find I average 1500 calories a day. I am much more lax on carbohydrates now. I have oatmeal with blueberries and raisins for breakfast. I still don't really eat bread unless it is the whole wheat sandwich thins, and then only one a day. I also eat sweet potatoes.

I do not eat sweets (ever, no exceptions), chips, or junk food. If I get a craving for pizza, I may have a slice once a month or so, but for the most part I stick to my plan. I get in about 100g of protein per day. I do not use my "super shakes" anymore as they are too many calories for someone who is eating enough real food. I now have a 20 oz Muscle Milk a day and get the rest of my protein from plant sources.

I am training for a half marathon, so I run 4 days a week and do spinning videos 1-2 days a week. I am trying to incorporate strength training again, but have not been successful so far.

Of note, I am absolutely hungry during the day. I have to exercise in order to be able to eat the amount that I want, even if it is healthy food. I hate to work out. I do it anyway.

I use the skills I learned over the first 8 months to establish healthy habits and now I am able to keep them up, thanks to the sleeve.

I use tea with Splenda to curb sweet cravings when I have them.

I wish the best of luck to those who are on this journey with me and am happy to answer any questions as best I can

Dr. K~

Submit "One Year Out...Musings, Observation and advice" to Digg Submit "One Year Out...Musings, Observation and advice" to del.icio.us Submit "One Year Out...Musings, Observation and advice" to StumbleUpon Submit "One Year Out...Musings, Observation and advice" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It's all true. I hope I can, too.
    Congrats to you.....thanks for the info especially on your "super shake". I will most definetely be trying this after my surgery. And most of us on here realize that this is not a quick fix....I agree with you 100% this is my last option. If I fail at WLS then I'm doomed to be obese the rest of my days. And I fully understand and appreciate a MD's/residents schedule....the craziest schedule I've ever seen. You go. Stay strong.
    also what is PB2?....nevermind found it
    THANKS...I am 4 days post op and need to find a receipe for real good protein. I will give your receipe a try and tweak it to my liking if necessary. I know the weight will fall off for the 1st year, but I am determined to not be a re-gainer. Thanks again for your post you are a true inspiration to all.
    Pam
    Thank you for your post - I agree you are a true inspiration! So far, I think I have done well at some parts of this new life. I am having the hardest time getting the exercise component going. I get started with walking but I am on disability for chronic migraines and rarely have a symptom free day. But if I am going to succeed, I've got to get this part in place.
    Dr. K... Thanks for taking the time to write how you succeeded in conquering this monster called obesity! You certainly have your head and heart in the place it needs to be. I am a few months out from surgery and with the help of the 8 week pre surgery classes am charting a plan to make sure I succeed. I wrote down your power shake idea and will keep that at my desk when I go back to work to help me through the day! Blessings! Cat/Denver =^..^=
    Fantastic job Neurorat! It takes a lot of discipline in what you did and hats off to you! I am 13 weeks post op 43 pounds down and I do exercise 3-4 days per week but I find I get bouts of fatigue every few weeks, not sure what that is about. Most of my labs are within normal range except for my ferritin at 489. I was on insulin prior to surgery I'm thinking the diabetes caused that level to be high. Can I ask how you trained for your couch to 5k? I am interested in doing a 5k in May but I don't know if I have enough time to train for it or where to find a program for that. Good luck to you and I hope your maintanence is not too difficult.
    Oh I forgot to ask, how is your MS? Do you see a difference in exacerbations with the weight loss? I have a friend who wants the sleeve and she has mild MS, I told her that it may help her just by getting her weight off, she weighs 315 lbs.
    Just now found your post. WOW you are an inspiration to all of us especially those of us who suffer from MS like me. I am having my surgery aug 6 of this year and I do hope that I can live a better quality of life. Diet and exercise I will refer to your plan often. Thanks for sharing.
    Since you've seemed to run high on protein, did you suffer any hairloss?