Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Conversation Between Cindola and dbarnes7

Leave Comment

7 Visitor Messages

1. What would I do differently???? Pack fewer clothes! Be sure to bring your baggiest clothes -- your stomach will be larger after surgery due to the gas that was pumped it. I would also walk more!!! It gets rid of the gas.
    What would I do the same??? Bring a friend, bring an extra blanket, and bring my positive attitude.
    If you have more questions I'd be glad to answer them.
  2. Recovery at home -- Well I should have rested more, but life intruded (sick kid, plugged toilet, slob kid). This week I've done lots of resting, especially after I had a nasty bout of diarrhea. Just remember that you have had major surgery and your body needs time to heal. By Thursday, I had lost the soreness in my abdomen -- but I haven't needed to use any pain meds since the hospital. Started full liquids this past week and that seems to be going well. I am using yogurt and my protein drinks to get in my protein -- watch the sugar content -- it can lead to disaster.
  3. Recovery at the Marriott -- I did lots of walking in the hallways on our floor, but we also went down to the pool and I did laps there as well, the fitness center is right there but I didn't want to use it I wanted to be outside. We had lunch at the hotel restaurant I had some tea and the broth, it was good but I could only get down about a half a cup. Later that afternoon Eduardo brought each of us a goody bag with antibiotics and some pain medication if needed. I found that I didn't need the pain medication I actually spent most of the first day there sleeping! Thursday was suppose to be more of the same with removal of our drains as well, but I had my drain removed and began the journey home. We had a 6:30 am flight home.
  4. The Day After the Big Day -- I tried to walk for 5 - 10 minutes every hour to hour and a half, but I did take a nap Tuesday afternoon. Sometime mid-morning I had my swallow/leak test to make sure that my stomach didn't have any leaks. The solution that they have you chug is really nasty!!! I had my IV changed several time and got drugs every 4 hours or so. Around 4pm I got gatorade to drink -- my first good liquids in 36 hours, about 3 tablespoons and I was full. Tuesday night I had my first nausea, but found that taking a walk made it go away. Around 5am they changed my dressings. At about 7:30 am they moved us back to the Marriott for recovery -- the showers were nicer and the beds much more comfortable.
  5. "The Big Day" -- Once at the hospital, we filled out another health history complete with medication list, if you kept a copy of yours bring it along to copy. We were assigned to rooms, if you bring a friend they stay with you. Once in your room you change into a hospital gown, have blood drawn, and an IV is started. After that you just wait your turn . . . bring a good book, etc. I had my iPad, but the internet was slow and yes you are able to recharge your devices in the room. I met with the surgeon around 4pm and was told that my surgery would be around 5:30, it was 8:30 pm. The anesthesiologist met with me around 7:30 and discussed what she was doing to use, she was really through. I left the room around 8:30 and don't remember much until Tuesday morning when they came to change my IV and add drugs (antibiotics, nausea, pain). At that point I got up and started walking.
  6. Dear Dennis -- This will have to be in a couple of different messages. As I tend to be long winded. I decided in early September to get a lapband at Mi Doctors Hospital, but after talking to Rhonda switched to a gastric sleeve -- it has lots less maintance. Once I had my information sent into A Light Me, I looked at possible dates and flights, finally deciding on October 22. On the morning of October 21st and friend and I boarded our flight from Oregon to San Diego, where we were met by Abraham (he is a real hoot). We waited for two other patients who were due in the next hour and a half -- it just made sense. The trip across the border was uneventful, we didn't even have to show our passports. We drove to the hospital to pick up a patient that was being discharged, then it was off to the Marriott to relax. Mostly I slept, but we did go down to the hotel restaurant for the broth. We were told to be in the lobby at 6:45 am to go to the hospital for the "Big Day."
  7. I am considering Dr. Ortiz for my sleeve procedure. I would be very interested in hearing about your experience from start to finish, every detail.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7