Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

I'm almost 6 months out and i only started back at the gym 3 weeks ago, that's how un-disciplined i am. But i surprised myself with how much i'm enjoying my gym classes. I think it might have to do with the fact that i'm not lugging around an extra 6 and a half stone (91lbs).

I've never been disciplined where food is concerned either, which is why i had the sleeve, i've had to develope willpower of doom!!!
    I gave up eating crap a year before i looked into getting the sleeve, that took alot of effort but i took it day by day and the longer i went without the crap the easier it got so when i got the sleeve i was ready to eat healthy and not slide back into my old habits of eating sweets etc. I don't think i would have breezed though having the sleeve if i hadn't given up the crap because the cravings were the hardest thing to deal with. Having to deal with them and the sleeve at the same time... i couldn't have done it.

So no i'm not disciplined i'm just re-educated.
    Aside from hiking, I didn't like to exercise before but now that the weight has come off and I can move around without feeling out of breath, I find that I am enjoying exercise more. I just took my first boor camp class today and while I had to modify a lot of the moves, I felt great doing it. Granted, my legs feel like jello right now but in a couple of weeks, I am going to see some muscles develop instead of flabby arms and legs. That's what keeps me going.
    I hope when I get sleeved I lose my desire to eat...the "headhunger desire" I eat out of boredom, when I feel like celebrating, when I am lonely, or just for fun. I need to find something to fill this craving but I think the sleeve will give me the tool to get some control...I feel like Ive been out of control with my eating, esp. for the last 7 or 8 years.....I am on a runaway train of eating and it needs to freakin slow down!!!!! its good to read all of your posts....thanks
    I saw a youtube video of this girl yesterday talking about this. and I am so with you on this. If I was self disciplined with diet and exercise, I wouldn't have pursued WL surgery. The sleeve helps you reduce your food intake and thus causing weight loss. I believe if you work out or not you will still loose. I hate working out with a passion. I can't even stand going walking or running. OF course if you want faster weight loss and to build muscle you will need to exercise. Now I am not saying not to exercise and praise those that commit to exercising, like my husband did after bypass surgery. As for me, I will stick to an active lifestyle, more like taking the stairs when I can, moving more, walking my dog, playing sports, being active with my kids, etc. I did this with the lapband and was able to loose 60 lbs in less than a year. I will also concentrate on my eating, make sure to make healthy options and get my protein in. I know I will have my days of grazing and trying sweets and tempting food, but just need to get back on track and don't freak out or get depressed. We are humans still and will give in to tempations, but you can not fail because your stomach is so small now, you will loose weight. My personal opinion and experience also. Good luck to you on your journey!
    Having the sleeve seems to change the way you want to eat.
    So true! I was telling my wife the other day that nothing tastes the same to me. It's hard to put your finger on, but I have yet to find a food since the surgery that brings me the same sort of satisfaction from eating it that I used to have. Eating has become a maintenance taske, as opposed to a recreational task for me. As a result, I often find myself eating not because I want to, but because I have to. When that happens, I find myself making very pragmatic choices for meals. I have eaten more fish in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last 3 years I think. Everything I choose to eat is low/no fat and no sugar, even though there is plenty of bad crap that the rest of the family still eats and is available to me. Since I don't really enjoy eating anymore, that stuff has no appeal ... not like a low carb, high protien option when it is available.

As for the discipline to go to the gym ... I think the weight loss causes a couple of things to change with a lot of people. One, you feel better, so working out is more enjoyable and less painful or arduous. Secondly, you start to realize that working out regularly will only help with the weight loss results, and tone up the body in the process, helping with issues like excess skin, just looking better overall. That can be motivating. I really WANT to go the gym, but had a bad experience when I went a couple weeks back. I may have tried to go back too soon. But I am going tonight, and my hope is to get there 3-4 times a wekk. I WANT to now ... and that's a difference for me from before surgery, when I dreaded going.
    You sound as though you were me! Pre surgery my day would consist of buttered toast with marmalade and a milky coffee for breakfast. A high fat sandwich and crisps for lunch. Maybe chocolate biscuits in between, or a muffin/cake. For dinner in the evening I'd have another unhealthy meal, or a takeaway. I'd drink wine or beer in the evening which would give me the munches and then start on crisps or nuts. It isn't until now that I realise the amount of crap I would eat.
    I'm 6 weeks out of surgery and haven't had bread, cakes, sweets, or any of the crap I used to be addicted to. Iv had a glass of wine at a weekend and to be honest I don't really enjoy it like I used to, so it lasts me the evening and I don't want a second one. Having the sleeve seems to change the way you want to eat. To begin with you physically CAN'T eat the things you did before and now that I can start trying to eat all types of food I find myself feeling too scared to try them. The sleeve is a wonderful thing. I'm sure you'll also end up like I am. It changes the way you think about food. It doesn't stop you craving certain things, but i don't seem to go any further than just thinking about them. Maybe it's because I'm too scared to actually give into the cravings. I had to self pay for my sleeve and as it cost me a lot of money, I'll be damned if I'm going to fail!