Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

The exact same thing has now happened to me and I have just had band emptied with surgery possibly in November to remove band and revise to sleev
    So how are you doing now
    All ok I hope
    Hi Belle,
    I had some very bad back pain right after surgery (bad position on the table) but the worth was a few months down the road. My "sudden" weight loss probably made my gravity center shift and I was in excruciating pain for a few days. It took a few days to disappear. At the same time I discovered that my D vitamin level was really low.
    I had back issues since I was a child, scoliosis and hyperlordosis but usually that was only a real problem when I was pregnant.
    Like Katrina, I had many issues since surgery. So far I suspect that the main problem is taking the PPI for so long. Last studies did show that it can increase malabsorbtion but also create issues with ligaments, dementia etc.
    I took my PPI for 13 months, it was really hard to stop it. I know it's needed post-op to protect our sleeve from reflux but the side effects are terrible. My advice would be to make sure to get a blood test and have your vitamin level checked. Take care!
    It's strange how losing weight can make you have more problems, isn't it? I've never felt so awful in my whole life. I'm too thin, so my bones don't have any padding. My collar bone is deformed, my spine in my neck is curved the wrong way. Every vertebrae in my neck is in terrible shape. I am missing big chunks out of two of them. My doctor said he's never seen someone my age in such terrible shape and asked if my mother dropped me on my head. I'd laugh if I wasn't in so much pain. Shots every few weeks, pain meds around the clock, therapy for months, etc. and the pain is only get worse to the point now it is unbearable. I didn't have any of these problems when I was overweight. I don't know if it is a terrible coincidence or what, but doctor said I'm doing myself no favors by staying so thin. Can't win for losing!

I sure hope we both start feeling better soon because I know I'm about to lose my damn mind with all of it.
    Congrats on almost being at first goal. I'm sure as the weight drops your back will feel better. Good luck.
    I recently got through my stall too! Feels great! I remember reading from here just keep on eating right, stop weighing yourself and it will be all fine! YUP everyone was right!!
    Congratulations, Success is a great feeling. Good luck with the rest of your journey to freedom : )
    Congrats on busting through your stall. I know they can be frustrating.
    Hi Belle,
    The best way to make sure you don't eat too much is to measure your food. I was at 1/2 cup for at least six months post-op. Don't drink 30 mns before and after your meal. The first weeks are a little confusing because you need to understand you new stomach but you should be fine very soon. When hungry or full at had the hic hup for weeks.
    Yes...when you get too full it is not pleasant. I still overdo it occasionally and I am 14 1/2 weeks. And I remember my stall around week 5 as well. It will pass but in the moment it is so discouraging. Even when everyone tells you it's normal. Congrats on your success so far!
    Congrats on your loss, stalls do suck. I hope to do as well as you have in a month. I'm not sure about the whole "when can you start doing what", but maybe try some pilates if you wanna start light. I used to do pilates and it really strengthens your core and flattens your tummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I can say that I feel the same way as you do. My journey, my time frame. I know that I am doing a great job losing the weight in a way that is right for me. Slow and steady. Also this may be helping with not having too much loose skin.
    I think 14 lbs in in 17 days is awesome! And I feel like 1-2 lbs a week is definitely a realistic goal, especially when you get to be a bit farther out and weight loss slows down.
    I was doing great a week out. Maybe it was a bit harder on you because it is a revision?? Are you taking any vitamins and supplements? I was taking B12 for energy. Still do.
    Congrats on all your success!
    Hey Christie,

Unfortunately I haven't started on vitamins. I was hoping to start soon. I will likely switch to cheweables or melts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacymak
    I'm having my lap band out on Feb 10 then my doctor is waiting 6 months for my sleeve surgery. I envy you getting done all at once! Glad you're feeling better.

Congrats on taking the first steps to having surgery. The time will fly in no time. When I first looked into revision it was May 2016. I didn't end up having my surgery till Jan 2017. Figuring out how I was going to pay for it and where I was going to have it all play a role. I definitely did not want 2 procedures, due to the down time. But I hear some surgeons do it two steps. For me I had some liquid removed from my band to help with the slip.

Belle
    I'm having my lap band out on Feb 10 then my doctor is waiting 6 months for my sleeve surgery. I envy you getting done all at once! Glad you're feeling better.
    I can say that I feel the same way as you do. My journey, my time frame. I know that I am doing a great job losing the weight in a way that is right for me. Slow and steady. Also this may be helping with not having too much loose skin.
    I think 14 lbs in in 17 days is awesome! And I feel like 1-2 lbs a week is definitely a realistic goal, especially when you get to be a bit farther out and weight loss slows down.
    I was doing great a week out. Maybe it was a bit harder on you because it is a revision?? Are you taking any vitamins and supplements? I was taking B12 for energy. Still do.
    Congrats on all your success!
    Belle I really appreciated your post. so informative and I can relate too, I also had success with band until esophagus issues that ultimately led to band removal. thinking I could loose the weight I regained on my own and then the feelings of inadaquancies and self hate when I couldn't lead me to WLA and I have hope again. kelly
    Congrats on your sleeve. Hope your recovery is going well.
    Hoping each day gets better and you are stronger!
    Seems like everything is going as planned and the recovery seems to be going well! Glad to hear that!
    Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery!

Keep us posted.

Happy MLK Jr. Day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby2
    Hello,

I had surgery seven weeks ago in Mexico. I met a woman there that had her lap band removed and had gained eighty pounds - so she was having the sleeve done same day as myself. I have kept in contact with her and she's doing great. She also was worried, scared but she has no regrets and doing great. As far as my experience with just the sleeve, I was not prepared for the first five days as it was more painful than I had anticipated. Everyone is different but I had regret for the first three days as sipping was a struggle. However, after the first week my regret turned to relief and seven weeks out and 24 pounds down I can say it has been the best decision for my health. I wish you great success and pray all goes well for you ❤️
    Thanks so much Abby. It's great to hear testimony from folks who had a revision that went well. They are definitely more complicated surgeries with increased risks. I also forgot to mention that I have had a tummy tuck and am likely to have some serious scar tissue. But I have to stay positive and look at the big picture...my band needs to go no matter what.

Thanks for the prayer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Sorry to hear about the lap band slipping. When I was in research mode that was one of several reasons I did not choose to have the band. I found that the sleeve seemed to be the most successful with the least amount of complications. It is effective. I know you're worried but since you researched the surgeon I am sure you are in good hands. You did advise him that you have to have your band removed, right? I know that probably seems like a dumb question but when there is a lot going on it is something easy to overlook. I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery. If you have any sleeve related questions, ask away!
    Thanks for the reassuring words. As for removing the band, my surgeon knows it's a revision. He charges a fee to remove the band. It's an extra $1,500.

How was your recovery? Can I expect to be on my feet pretty quickly. I need to get back home to my family. My mind is racing a million miles a minute.
    Hello,

I had surgery seven weeks ago in Mexico. I met a woman there that had her lap band removed and had gained eighty pounds - so she was having the sleeve done same day as myself. I have kept in contact with her and she's doing great. She also was worried, scared but she has no regrets and doing great. As far as my experience with just the sleeve, I was not prepared for the first five days as it was more painful than I had anticipated. Everyone is different but I had regret for the first three days as sipping was a struggle. However, after the first week my regret turned to relief and seven weeks out and 24 pounds down I can say it has been the best decision for my health. I wish you great success and pray all goes well for you ❤️
    Sorry to hear about the lap band slipping. When I was in research mode that was one of several reasons I did not choose to have the band. I found that the sleeve seemed to be the most successful with the least amount of complications. It is effective. I know you're worried but since you researched the surgeon I am sure you are in good hands. You did advise him that you have to have your band removed, right? I know that probably seems like a dumb question but when there is a lot going on it is something easy to overlook. I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery. If you have any sleeve related questions, ask away!