Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Good question, im curious too
    I am almost 4 months out and having the same issues with sweets and carbs just started happening the last few weeks so tomorrow I am getting back on track so eggs,cheese, and meats it is! Good luck, to bad they didn't rewire our brains during surgery!I haven't gained I think its because I always workout, but I still have 25 pounds to go and am not going to get there if I keep up this way!
    Protein is key to your energy and to the fat coming off. Eggs, beans, legumes, tuna, protein shakes, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, even skim milk are things that can quickly (well, with us...) eaten while at work. Good luck in finding something that works better for you. My food shedule is really stretched out too, but I'm going to follow it...no matter how much the little fat green girl in my head screams at me!
    Don't get too worked up about the weight loss - wouldn't you have just KILLED to get 8 lbs off in 11 days, just a month ago? What has changed, exactly?
    Also, just a thought, consider my case: I went in at 338 lbs on surgery day (4/9/13) after 2 days on clear liquids - then came out at 346 three days later! (LOTS of IV fluids, to ensure I wouldn't be dehydrated. And now, 5 days later? 323. YES, you read that right: 23 lbs in 5 days. Weird, isn't it, how this thing can go?
    I wish you all the best. We've never met, but I know we can understand each other SO well, from our shared experience of getting sleeved this month. And you WILL make it, you WILL succeed - because you have worked too hard to get this far and NOT succeed!!
    Blessings, sister.
    It is all normal. I had to leave today because my family ordered pizza from our favorite local pizza place. God it smelled wonderful. I started crying and just left! Went to get dog and rat supplies, (yes I have a pet rat)! This was the first day this happened but wow my emotions are all over the road! I can have a piece of pizza down the road, why cry about it? It is our food addiction. I am back on antidepressants again, but not enough time to get them in my system good. You may want to try calling your doc and get on something. Good luck!
    Sleep and vitamins and try to get some walking in. A 15 minute stroll, even in a mall if the weather is poor will release some endorphins and cheer you up. You're completely normal!
    I think everything you are feeling is normal. I'm in 2nd week post-surgery and seem to be bouncing around a bit with feelings/emotions. Hang in there. Take your vitamins, drink your waters, and rest when you can and need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMX2
    Since surgery, I have carried my drink with me everywhere I go. As a matter of fact, I bought contigo steel drink 20 oz cups from Amazon. I have four of them. They keep drinks at whatever temperature you put them in at for 12 hours. It works wonders, and I'm never panicky about having a drink near by. Best purchase ever~
    Amazon.com: CONTIGO INSULATED STAINLESS STEEL 2 PK WATER BOTTLES: Health & Personal Care
    Just wondered if this would be considered a straw--I have the contigo plastic variety and I've been taking the straw out. It really would be great if I could use the straw with a clear conscience.
    You are normal, I assure you. It's very hard in the beginning. I had a problem coping with my new lifestyle. I still struggle with depression when I should be over the moon about all the weight loss. I found out that there is a reason you have to have a psych exam before surgery. It's because it takes a toll on our mental well being as well as physical. Give yourself time, it will get easier and you will be equipped with the stamina you need. If it's really bad, be sure to give your dr a call. You may need to go on some meds until you get back on your feet. (So to speak) Take comfort in knowing you're not alone. I've seen lots of threads similar to yours. Hang in there. I'm praying for you.
    Hmmm got to look into them. Thanks for advice
    Since surgery, I have carried my drink with me everywhere I go. As a matter of fact, I bought contigo steel drink 20 oz cups from Amazon. I have four of them. They keep drinks at whatever temperature you put them in at for 12 hours. It works wonders, and I'm never panicky about having a drink near by. Best purchase ever~
    Amazon.com: CONTIGO INSULATED STAINLESS STEEL 2 PK WATER BOTTLES: Health & Personal Care
    Thanks going to try water bottle with propel. I actually already filled it, so I can get started.
    Just be very careful about being in the heat and humidity like that. Make sure you sip sip sip all day long, sit between the walking around and stay in the shade if possible. There are plenty of waters and sport drinks out there with vitamins in them too. Have fun but don't overdo. Your husband wouldn't want you back in the hospital either.
    I have a 28 ounce water bottle that I use. It has a silicon flip up sipper that is attached to a tube into the bottle. It has worked out nicely for me so far. I find it easy to sip instead of my old habit of gulping down 1/2 a glass of water in one drink! I bought it at Meijer (grocery/everything store), and I see similar bottles everywhere I go. I too get the "heartburn" when I drink water, and not with anything else. I would recommend that you use sugar free Propel, Powerade, or Gatorade to replace some electrolytes in the heat. Put lots of lotion on to help keep moisture in and definately wear a sunscreen. If you can tolerate it, take a sip every minute. And rest in the shade about every 30 minutes for at least 5 minutes. If cold liquids don't bother you, freeze 1/2 bottles of water(or whatever) then fill them before you leave. That will help your body stay cool as well. And don't be afraid to tell your husband when you've had enough of the heat! Best wishes...
    Thank you for sharing! There are days I dont get my protein either, and I try SO SO SO hard! And I agree, muscle milk is grossss (More power to the people that can injest it). And Walmart sells a protein called EAS (I think GNC does too) YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!! My Dr gets onto me too about the protein, he said "everything else aside, get your proteins in, and the rest will work itself out".
    Dont feel bad, I am on day 14 and have not lost a pound.
    I am well aware that the surgery was a tool to help me on my road to a healthy lifestyle. I am following my Dr.'s diet and have no intentions on straying from it. I did not go through all this just to throw it away & am well aware that it is possible to gain all my weight back. I am having trouble getting my protein in though. I haven't found any that I really like except light muscle milk, which my Dr. isn't thrilled with. It takes me a day to get a bottle in me. Anyway I do realize if you set your expextations too high you possibly are setting yourself up for failure. That's why in my original post I said I am going to break my journey down into small goals. I love all the advice I get from this forum & reading all the inspirational stories. Thank you:-)
    Liquid is a food. Its just not what YOU equate with food. Dont be so hard on yourself. Like I have told everyone, I didnt see the scale move until day 11. Because I had IV fluids, water, antibiotics, and tons of other meds in me. Once I passed all of that (by drinking LOTS of water) the scale started really moving. 5 pounds in 7 days, and your complaining? I dont get it-Sorry! In order for this to be a successful surgery, you have to set realistic expectations. Guessing and hoping is not realistic. Remember too, the sleeve is ONLY a tool. I have a friend who had the sleeve and gained weight. Because she did NOT follow Dr's orders and did not stick to a modified meal plan. So dont think "Its magic" because its not. Be sure to get in your liquids, the more you pee, the more your body processes and disposes of 'waste' . Your the key to your success, and BEST of luck to you!
    I did gain 6 lbs @ the hospital and didn't include that in my ticker. And I am definitely swollen tried to get dressed in something other then sweats today but everything was too tight. Going to work on Monday should be interesting. I guess its just frustrating to think I am only taking in liquids for the last 9 days and im bloated and not losing much. Thank God I have this forum because not much support from my hubby or 2 sons. 2 out of three didn't want me to get procedure done. First time in the last 24 years that I've done something for myself without everyone else's approval. I think I really need to start focusing on the positive instead of the negatives.
    you have to realize your swollen and your intake on liquids from the iv's are high so this alone puts on some weight. Im 4 weeks post opp and I have dropped 30 lbs. Of course I weigh in almost every day so three days ago I decided not to weigh in any more. I realized that once my swelling went down the pounds just came right off. Give yourself time, everyone is different and uniqe in their own way. You will begin to drop and when it happens you will not regret the decision. Good luck !!
    Don't worry I gained 10lbs in the in the hospital and it took over a week to get that off. Don't stress it will happen for you. I think what SethP is saying also plays a huge part let your body settle.
    I have read numerous times that the first week you dont lose that much and some actually show a gain. Remember while you were in the Hospital they had an IV in your arm pumping you with fluids and also our bodies retain some fluids anytime there is trauma to it. Considering you had 80% of your stomach removed, I would think there is some swelling and retention going on. I have also read numerous times that you should not weigh yourself for the first 2 weeks due to this retention. I hope this sets your mind at ease. Keep up the good work and it will drop before you know it.
    I was sleeved on 4/2 so we are about the same pace. Don't worry about the numbers too much. It will come. It has too because we are not eating enough to maintain our current weight. I won't do the math for you but trust me on this! I lost 10 pre-sleeve and have lost 6 post-sleeve. I go for my post-op today. Our bodies are still adjusting to the surgery and change in diet. I find right now I'm losing about 1 lb per day. I'm hoping it will pick up some, but my goal is a total of 25 at one month post-op. Make sure you are drinking your liquids so you're system is hydrated and flushing well. We WILL do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    Worry not my friend, on day 5, you still have IV fluids, hospital pain killers, antibiotics, and your body is in starvation mode. And when it is, it STORES ALL fluids and fats. I didnt lose weight until day 11, and on day 11, I laughed and laughed and laughed at the scale because all of a sudden, the scale was ON A ROLL! Be sure to sip water, ice chips, this will help with cotton mouth, and ALSO the more you drink the more you pee (duh) but I notice on days I pee a bunch, I also lose a pound on the scale. On days I dont get my fluids in (which makes me not pee much), I dont seem to lose weight. Its our mysterious body, working it magic! Just DO NOT push yourself, and eat anything on the "no no" list. Try and get your protein in, and multivitamins, even if you have to crush them, and dump it in water. Best of luck-
    Speedracer ... YOU're the MAN! I ending printing your words of wisdom for my notebook (I'm soaking it up ... my surgery is next week)! So cool and logical ... Wow how do you do it??? Thanks so much ... seriously!!!
    Worry not my friend, on day 5, you still have IV fluids, hospital pain killers, antibiotics, and your body is in starvation mode. And when it is, it STORES ALL fluids and fats. I didnt lose weight until day 11, and on day 11, I laughed and laughed and laughed at the scale because all of a sudden, the scale was ON A ROLL! Be sure to sip water, ice chips, this will help with cotton mouth, and ALSO the more you drink the more you pee (duh) but I notice on days I pee a bunch, I also lose a pound on the scale. On days I dont get my fluids in (which makes me not pee much), I dont seem to lose weight. Its our mysterious body, working it magic! Just DO NOT push yourself, and eat anything on the "no no" list. Try and get your protein in, and multivitamins, even if you have to crush them, and dump it in water. Best of luck-
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLaz
    I also had the dry mouth. It was to the point that my tongue turned white. It's better now since I'm back to work and I seem to drink more water when I'm at work. I couldn't stand the smell of broth post-op. My mom kept trying to get me to drink it, but the smell made me feel like vomiting, so I didn't have any. What they did for me at the hospital was get me something like a shot glass and I'd pour the water in there and take a shot every 15 minutes. It got the water into me and made it a little more fun (remembering my college days).
    Omg! after reading you comment, I was like this sounds exactly what I have so low & bejold I looked it up and what I believe it is thrush. Gross I will be going to my dr. today! Thanks for making it all come together:-)
    Reglan never helped my nausea. I had to get zofram too. My husband takes prilosec maybe Ill try some of his. You can break a capsule open & take it like that? I was always told you couldn't break it because it was bad for your stomach and that was before surgery. Thanks for helping:-)
    Reglan is for nausea. I am on Prilosec, it is a capsule I open and put on a spoon and swallow with water! It is amazing how it has helped my intake. Since I am no longer burning, it is easier to sip, sip, sip!
    I also had the dry mouth. It was to the point that my tongue turned white. It's better now since I'm back to work and I seem to drink more water when I'm at work. I couldn't stand the smell of broth post-op. My mom kept trying to get me to drink it, but the smell made me feel like vomiting, so I didn't have any. What they did for me at the hospital was get me something like a shot glass and I'd pour the water in there and take a shot every 15 minutes. It got the water into me and made it a little more fun (remembering my college days).
    I always have a bottle/glass of water/crystal light or propel next to me. I try to sip every 15 mins. Is reglan for heartburn? I've been on that since hospital. This dry mouth Is so annoying, I feel like I have cottonballs in my mouth, lol.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast