Surgeon
    Dr. Nease
    Last Activity
    07-20-2015 05:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Unhappy feeling down

I've been feeling very down on myself this week. I fear that the sleeve isn't going to work for me. I'm not sure if I had unreal expectations but, I really thought I would have lost more weight by now. I'm very disappointed. I'm following my surgeons orders protein, water, vitamins, exercise but, I feel like a failure. I know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to others but, it's hard not to. I realize I didn't put the weight on overnight and I won't lose it overnight but, I must admit I have times when I regret having it. I lost 80 pounds in six months on my own before the dr would do surgery. I'm just ready for this weight to be gone and I don't know what more I can do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for venting but, I just had to get this off my chest. Has anyone else every had these feelings????

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    12/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mattar
    Last Activity
    04-04-2017 10:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

Default Re: feeling down

I am new at this, but from what I've read some people go through some fairly long plateau phases where there may not be any change for a while, and then suddenly there is a huge change. If you're following your doctor's plan, you should lose, right? One thing is for sure, you aren't heavier than you were before you started, right? And if you hadn't considered this journey, what do you think you'd weigh right now? I'm sorry you're feeling down, and I hope it gets better for you. Try to believe in your success!

Starting weight, Sept. 2014--285
    Day of surgery, 12/16/14---- 264
    12/31/14-----------------------249.4
    1/15/15-------------------------245
    2/16/15……………………………….232.2
    3/30/15…………………….…………222.6
    8/01/15……………………………….218

Gastric Sleeve Member bigchanges's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    09-20-2016 08:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I remembering feeling the same. It can be very frustrating when you feel that more weight should be coming off quicker. I think my weight loss has been slower than yours..? Regardless,it sounds and looks like you are doing VERY WELL. Especially because you are following your plan. If you take one day at a time you will get there. Time goes by quickly, and before you know it you will be closer and closer to your goal. Something that helped me was to look at a photo of myself from this past August. I really saw a difference! Despite feeling a whole lot better , it was made real when I saw this photo, and then it pulled me out of my funk. It gets better. Don't worry. You will be happy with the progress you have made and it will pick you up! Wish you the best!

Gastric Sleeve Member KarenJean's Avatar
    Name
    KarenJean
    Surgery date
    12/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loggins
    Last Activity
    03-28-2015 09:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I can't really tell how much you've lost... Is it 50 pounds in 90 days? Holy cow! Celebrate that!

Maybe some of the sadness and regret has more to do with losing the CHOICE of food addiction. Are you mourning (especially this time of year) your loss of ability to stuff with food? I know I am. I think of my sleeve as something that's saving me from myself.

Gastric Sleeve Member Trustin Sleever's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Well, what I do have in common with you is that I also lost MORE weight, faster, just by dieting, than I did post-surgery. I dropped 45 lbs in 6 wks once, and last time I dieted I dropped 100 lbs in 7 months. My post-op experience has been MUCH slower. But you know what? I don't care- I'm tired of killing myself trying to keep it off and regaining.
    Day of surgery: 248 lbs

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    10/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr. Titcombe
    Last Activity
    08-06-2018 11:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You're doing great. You've lost an incredible amount of weight and when you're feeling low try to remember that you are still losing so it's all good. I think we all have down days or even weeks where we feel that we aren't progressing as fast as we would like but when I feel that way I remind myself that being sleeved is a solution for the long haul - not a quick fix. I know you say that you lost more when you were dieting on your own, but the speed at which you lost would probably mean a regain could have happened without a sleeve. Even if I have a bad week where I've only lost 1-2lbs I try and see that as a massive victory and that it is 1-2lbs that I will never weigh again.

Don't beat yourself up, what you've achieved so far is incredible, and regardless of how fast it shifts, every single pound down takes you closer to your goal. Stay strong.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

If you lost a lot prior to having the sleeve, then the post-surgery weight loss is likely to be slower.

Keep your eye on the long-term picture, not on "I want to lose all my weight now". As said above, we all have lost weight before through dieting, the difference with the sleeve will be that it's easier to keep it off.

It took me longer than I had fantasised to get to my goal weight. But I got there, and I've stayed there, and I have a much improved quality of life. And I already had a much better quality of life even when I was still overweight and gradually losing.

Keep focussed on the long-term picture!!! Good luck!

Surgery date
    09/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nease
    Last Activity
    07-20-2015 05:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks everyone. After reading your post it helped me to get my head focused. I think I'm just starting to feel the stress of the holidays. Before the sleeve I was able to stuff myself with all the Christmas goodies and that helped relieve my stress for awhile but, now that I can't do that my emotions are trying to get the best of me. I have to find new things to do when I'm feeling stressed. Thank you all for the encouragement. As someone said I should be proud of the weight I've lost maybe it isn't coming off as fast as I would like but, hey at least I'm not gaining. In the long run I know the sleeve will help me to become more healthy.

Gastric Sleeve Member CherokeeGirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Aldreidge
    Last Activity
    02-13-2019 07:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

ME!!! I'm a slow loser and it is hard to compare yourself to other weight loss....I lost nothing the first month...I had severe complications.....also, I expected not to be hungry like I am...I'm starving most of the time, my pouch making noises at me...especially at 2 or 3AM...wakes me up. I'm losing now, clothes getting lose and people noticing...but it's a slow go

Star weight when first saw surgeon --245
    start weight beginning pre-op diet----233
    Start weight day of surgery-------------220