Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    12-02-2012 12:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone for late Jan or early feb in mexico?

I am like overwhelmed right now with all of the choices for mexico, I thought I had my mind made up with several different doctors, reading all these great reviews from people and then I find one or two bad things posted and I get scared, It is really hard to get reliable info on mexican doctors, there is a lot of marketing that goes into the well known ones but that doesn't mean their skill level is the best and even "plants" that go in to premote or demote certain surgeons ... I am getting so frustrated I just want to pick one and go with it cuz I'm ready to make this change I'm sick of being "pre-op"

I have looked into and talked to coordinators of: Jose Rodruguez, Dr. Garcia, Dr.Sergio Verboonen, Dr. Alvarez, and I cant seem to get ahold of Dr. ramos kelly the coordinator tried to sway me against it and wouldnt tell me why! his reviews were the nicest and he is fairly priced.

Anyway, I have to do this alone, I will be coming from florida... being that I havent chosen a surgeon or a date I was thinking I would reach out and find someone else that is going through the same thing and possible we could go during the same time so I would have a buddy....

I have videos on youtube you can see me there: youtube.com/slimmfast

thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member workinprogress40's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Latonyia
    Surgery date
    08/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-17-2014 10:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone for late Jan or early feb in mexico?

Hi! I am looking to get my surgery early Feb, and I chose Dr Almanza but I just checked out Dr verboonen, Dr Alvarez is a little to high I can stat in the Us and get it for his price, I searched Dr Kelly and that is a deffently no, I looked in to Dr Garcia, I don't think he has the experience I'm looking for, I just feel more confident with Dr Almanza, but maybe you know something I don't.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Patching
    Last Activity
    01-20-2014 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

We chose Dr. Garcia in TJ. He's done over 2,000 WLS and he operates out of a new hospital the Mi Doctor Hospital that was just build in April 2011. His package includes 1 day/night pre-op in a hotel, 2 days/nighs in hospital, the 3 days/nights back at hotel. We are using Alma at Ready 4 a Change as the coordinator. I keep checking and emailing others who have used him and have only heard great things about their experience with him and the facilities. I think we made a good choice. Surgery is scheduled for Jan 23rd.

Name
    robert
    Surgery date
    01/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr almanza
    Last Activity
    01-05-2013 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm going to dr almanza on jan 13 but have changed from sleeve to roux en y in my research I found they seem very reputable and so far very helpful with everything I'll be there next Thursday and surgery is Friday. I'm also in fl Sarasota to be exact I'm excited about it
    Good luck on youre choice it wasn't easy but Im good with mine.

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Almanza is doing mine on Jan 24th. (We are coming from Bama.) I'm using the Medical Tourism Corp. They have been great so far.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-20-2015 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello. My name is mechell and I'm going to be flying to mexico from Jacksonville Fl to have the sleeve. The doctor I've chosen is Dr. Almanza and my surgery dateis Feb. 1st but I'm going to give them a call today to have it pushed out to the 10th. As for the surgery, I'm excited but extremely afraid. What scares me most is the fact that they say if u eat too much, your stomach will burst. Not that I plan to do that but just knowing its a possibility scares me. Also, I'm afraid that I will never be able to eat things I enjoy anymore on an occasional basis. And then I'm just afraid period of going to the extreme of having surgery. Yet despite my fears, what I am sure of is that I'm tired of being fat. My mom has been very supportive and says having the surgery is the only way I will lose and keep it off bit my husband says I just need to excercise. So, I'm gonna ho through with it, I just have to stay convinced that everything will turn out okay. So, let me know what you decide because I could definitely use a buddy because I'll be going alone.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Patching
    Last Activity
    01-20-2014 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Wow, haven't heard that one before "burst". I think you would have to do a lot for that to happen. I am 4 weeks post-op and there is no way I could eat until my stomach bursts. The discomfort you feel just when just about full is enough to make you stop eating. Maybe you could cause a leak from over eating, but again I would think the pain would stop you from over eating. Right now for me eating is not the same and I'm glad about that. I will never eat the same again AND that's why I had the surgery in the first place. My normal way of eating kept me morbidly obese and miserable. Follow your doctors eating plan post-op to try and prevent complications. There is always a risk and utlimately it's you who is in charge of your recovery and life after WLS.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-02-2012 05:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

That sounds fishy that Dr Kellys coordinators would sway you away. I went with Dr kelly and had the best experience. I did my reserch and found that he was the most qualified and the best priced. If you are still interested in him you should check out this web page wwwDOTwls4betterlife.com Those were the coordinators I used. They book for Dr Kelly as well as other Drs. Good luck on your choice and God bless.

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

I was a bit taken back by the remarks about Dr. Kelly, and his co-ordinator telling you not to go to him. I had Dr Kelly and he was wonderful, he spent a lot of time with me at the hotel before surgery to make sure that I was ready, because I almost changed my mind, he put me at ease, He is a wonderful dr. and he works out of a hospital, so if there is any problems you know that you are in good hands, I had a lot of co-mobidities, so my concern was if I flat lined that I could be taken care of, when I checked into the other drs in the strip mall, they don't have any back up, no blood, heart machines nothing! Before having my surgery I did everything to check into each dr. and I can tell you, that Dr. Kelly is highly recommended from the USA, I know 3 drs. that know him and worked with him when he lived in Michigan,he also worked in Ca. all I can tell you is to do your research, and don;t just go by the cheapest, you get what you pay for. you are going to hear lots of different stories from everyone on here. Everyone has a differernt experience, and outcomes. all I can say is that if you have co-mobidites be sure to check where you plan to go thouroughly. as you wll hear from some of the co-ordinators, oh you will be fine, remember they are not with you! they are in the USA and that is how they make their money. Trish with Dr. Kelly is with you all the way.there is so much info on the web about each of the drs. just do your research before choosing, then go for it. becuase in the long run it will be the best decission that you can make, I just wish hat I would have done it sooner! good luck to you and your decission.

Name
    crystal
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Michael Baptista
    Last Activity
    07-05-2017 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 194 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm feelin ya! I'm going to Mexico in Feb around the 20th I'm also confused about a sergeon but leaning towards Almanza I'm just scared of complications, going alone u name it but I'm definitely going.

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

I had mine with Dr Alvarez Oct 8th. Had a fantastic experience and he was worth every penny! 3 months this week and I'm down 60 lbs, (have to go update the ticker)...No complications. Everything was well organized, stayed in La Quinta hotel a couple of nights, Holiday Inn Express 1 night and a few nights in hospital in Piedras Negras. No issues at the border, the care was superb and Dr Alvarez has refined the procedure a bit and does things a bit differently than some of the other docs. I was very pleased with the whole experience. Enough so that I have a coworker and a few friends who are now scheduled to go. One will be there next week in fact. He replies directly to emails, phone calls, etc. Best wishes for your journey and I hope you will find peace with your decision, whomever you go with.

Surgery date
    08/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I am also in your boat.. I am waiting for my passport to come so I can then know for sure I am ready to go.. It is just so overwhleming with the different doctors and different coordinators... I have spoken to a couple and I am still not sure... I am just scared to make the wrong choice and regret having the surgery and having family and friends say "I told you it isnt safe going to Mexico" ahhh I just dont know ... It seems that as long as you do your research and make a decision, more than likey it will all work out from the posts I have been reading... In fact this website has been very helpful in just that aspect of encouraging to make the best choice based on what is important to you and you will be fine! Best of luck to you and hopefully this year will be a year we can look back and say it was the best choice ever! take care

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-08-2012 02:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Dr. Almanza is performing my surgery on the 27th of January. I have done so much research and I am so confident with my choice. I do like Dr. Aceves as well, but I felt that his coordinators were perhaps too aggressive at times and that made me feel uncomfortable - which is unfortunate because that reflects on him - not his abilities, just the overall center. Anyway, I'm excited and looking forward to this! I have an aversion to American doctors anyway (long story) so Mexico was a great choice for me, both financially and comfort-wise.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-10-2014 05:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Hi I've been researching Mexican DR.s for weeks now and i've read and spoke to several people on this site. I've found that Dr. Almanza is the best. He has 5000 surgeries under his belt at the Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana. I'm having the gastric sleeve done on Jan.30. Dr.Alverez is also really good and he has a book that tells you everything you need to know from deciding to have surgery/pre-op dieting and post-op food guide lines, i've ordered my copy. You can learn more about the book by goggling Dr. Alverez book. If you're like me, money is also a factor so Dr. Almanza is the cheapist $4500USD plus your flight to/from San Diego. I'm in Nova Scotia Canada, i'll be leaving Jan 29th for San Diego,surgery on the 30th and home via San Diego on the 3rd. Hope this helps, maybe i'll see you in Mexico!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-10-2014 05:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Dr. Almanza is doing mine Jan.30th!! I'll probably see you around. My name is Angela i'm coming from Canada. Good luck!