Surgery date
    12/20/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Default Re: I'm starting to gain some weight back

Thank you for posting/sharing! I'm new to the site and have been feeling down b/c it seems that everyone's losing all this weight and I've been 'stalled' for MONTHS (about 6 to be exact)! My surgery was a year ago and I still haven't met my goal. I am happy with the weight I've lost and my health is better, but I find it very frustrating. I have adjusted my diet and I've increased my physical activity w/no true results. Now that fall/winter has approached, I'm watching my diet but have given up on the exercise. hmm.... guess I need to find a work-out buddy and start back at the gym. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member BobBigBoy's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    08-30-2013 05:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sis4lfe View Post
    Thank you for posting/sharing! I'm new to the site and have been feeling down b/c it seems that everyone's losing all this weight and I've been 'stalled' for MONTHS (about 6 to be exact)! My surgery was a year ago and I still haven't met my goal. I am happy with the weight I've lost and my health is better, but I find it very frustrating. I have adjusted my diet and I've increased my physical activity w/no true results. Now that fall/winter has approached, I'm watching my diet but have given up on the exercise. hmm.... guess I need to find a work-out buddy and start back at the gym. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone!
    This is just a temp set back & I'm sure I can start losing again, But to get down to my current 210 from 318, I'm still very happy with myself but now must probably be like normal people of normal size & just start watching what I eat & start working out.
    Sleeve operation date was Jan 18 2011
    My weight on the day of surgery was: 292 lbs.

Gastric Sleeve Member bigcityenvy's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christy
    Last Activity
    10-19-2013 11:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

First, I'm sorry to hear of your regain, and I hope that the walking, bike-riding, etc... will help you. I have never read statistics that say weight loss surgery patients lose 100% of their excess weight and maintain that loss. The numbers are much less exciting - which really is crappy! However, the numbers are average results that include all the really bad, the really good, and everyone in between. I haven't had surgery yet, but I do plan to have the sleeve in the spring, and I am so scared I won't lose enough weight -- beyond that I'm terrified of regain. A close friend of mine is 3 years post-op (as of about August) on her RNY gastric bypass, she did lose 100% of her excess, and she recently said she regained about 10 pounds earlier this year (too much wine) and it has just sort of hung around. This puts her in the 140's, and she looks great (lucky recipient of a fabulous tummy tuck, she is). I have a co-worker who had the RNY eight years ago, lost 100% of excess, and she has maintained in the 130's-140's for eight years! Both of these women are about 5'6", age 40-45, they are not regular exercisers, they don't seem to follow the protein-first rules, etc..., but they don't eat much. Their experiences encourage me. I know of a few women (locally) who had the sleeve by Dr. Alvarez, and they have lost all of their excess weight. Their maintenance is still to be seen. My post-surgery PLAN is to change my eating habits, break FREE from the hold that food has had on me for years, and finally be able to exercise as much as and the way in which I want without paying for it in pain. Now, that is the PLAN, but plans don't always go the way we first intended, and it IS scary. However, many people on this forum are/were obese or morbidly obese, and the most important thing (IMO) is to get to a healthy weight, escape the many co-morbidities of obesity, be able to feel and look good in regular clothing (i.e., not necessarily a tiny size, but average), and just be at a place where our lives are not altered because of our physical size. I hope to reach and maintain my goal weight, but I am trying to be realistic in how difficult it may be to stay there.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Casillas
    Last Activity
    07-03-2013 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Bob,
    You give me hope. It's possible to lose alot of weight and keep it off. I'm there months post op. I've lost close to fifty pounds. I have already been warned by my surgeon, not to expect to keep losing weight at the rate I have been. My goal is to lose 100 pounds in one year. We all have the urge to snack between meals. You will surely do it.

Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by PConde View Post
    Bob,
    You give me hope. It's possible to lose alot of weight and keep it off. I'm there months post op. I've lost close to fifty pounds. I have already been warned by my surgeon, not to expect to keep losing weight at the rate I have been. My goal is to lose 100 pounds in one year.
    You can get there, I've lost over 100 within a year year!

Quote Originally Posted by PConde View Post
    all have the urge to snack between meals. You will surely do it.
    Trust me I have I think my problem is that since losing all this weight was pretty much effortless on my part, not working out & pretty much eating whatever I wanted ( In tiny portions compared to before ) has reach its limit as where I'll still lose the weight & maybe I've started to stretch my stomach back out some?
    I sure hope not.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cathy
    Last Activity
    01-14-2012 01:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think all is true about the body gainning. I had surgery 10/5/10 and lost 100 lbs. I was 235lbs and just last week i was 135. I have gained 4 lbs since.i go between 135 and 140. I THINK that is the body telling me i have lost too much and need to slack off a little. Just saying.

Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Just over 2 years from my GSS & now I find myself constantly on watch to what I eat, proving that this is not a magic trick, Seems I'm reminded all the time how slow my metabolism is & for a while after my surgery you forget all about that being the weight just goes away, I've been very steady at about 210 for a long time now & thats still108 lbs less than when I had this done, but its a constant fear of gaining it back I find the old habit wanting to take over & eating for the pleasure of it & not just because I'm hungry all the time because I can , or at least have been able to.

but now the scale tells me what I like & what I hate & the one thing I can say its better than any friends we have because it don't LIE to us about what it sees.

Yes I'm still doing good, but now realize this is just a way to get you down & once we get there its completely on us.
    & no I still don't work out or anything..
    & eat everything I want & drink.

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

Looks like you are maintaining well!
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Name
    catheryn
    Surgery date
    02/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zakhour
    Said "Thanks" 216 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times
    Blog Entries

you look real good with a 106lb's off good luck with all you want to do.

Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yet I'm now realizing how much of our weight problem is mental, I don't need to keep eating yet tonight after having 1/2 the shepards pie my wife made I waited about two hours & finished some left over sausage on an english muffin with cheese & 3 hours later just made myself a ChillieCheesedog & thats probably only because the wife is sleeping, would I have made & ate that if she would of noticed?

I'm now realizing theres so much more to my weight than an extremely slow metabolism.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12