Surgeon
    Michael St. Jean
    Last Activity
    12-12-2011 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Maine

Eastern Maine Medical Center is determined by the New England Journal of Medicine to be a center of excellence in Medical care, and the surgical weight loss program is the top rated by the same journal in all of New England. They offer surgical banding, gastric sleeving, and the gastric bypass procedure, open or laproscopic and done using state of the art robots. Their surgical team is the best at what they do, and the program offers a comprehensive path to weight loss and health. Their goal is not an assembly line through the operating room, instead each individual that joins is treated according to their needs, goes through a series of classes, evaluations, both medical and psychological, nutrition and fitness training, and 1 on 1 support. I began my journey on August 16, and had my surgery on December 2. I still visit 1 on 1 with a certified nutrition counselor as well as my surgeon.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Minnie Mouse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-10-2012 05:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Was Thanked 206 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 225 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Maine

Congrats TrinaK!!!! I had my surgery done in Tijuana, Mexico April 11, 2011; because, I had no insurance. My experience was great, and everything turned out very well with no complications. I have been living in San Antonio, Texas for 36 yrs., but I'm originally from Maine. I had my firstborn at Eastern Maine Medical Center. It's wonderful to hear that they have this weightloss program there! I hope many people will opt for this lifesaving surgery. I have never regretted it and will always stand behind this procedure as a great way to improve health and control our weight using it as a necessary tool for the better. I wish you great success.Lol...Bonnie

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Michael St. Jean
    Last Activity
    12-12-2011 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Its nice to meet another mainer, even if its formerly. I'm so glad to hear your procedure was free of complications. I am so excited to see how far I can take this. I love this support group and am on it all day long.

Gastric Sleeve Member Minnie Mouse's Avatar
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-10-2012 05:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Was Thanked 206 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 225 Times
    Blog Entries

My heart is in Maine always because of my family there and fond childhood memories. They are catching up with the world in modern technology, and that's superb!!!! I wish two of my sisters would consider this surgery, so they can live a longer, healthier life. Maybe with my success I can inspire them in some way. Take care and many Hugs. Lol...Bonnie

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael St. Jean
    Last Activity
    03-09-2012 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

i too had Dr St Jean. I go back and see him wednesday. I was sleeved on 2/17. overall i think the proceedure went well. I am on liquid protein diet still. This program at EMMC enabled me to change unhealthy habbits...which is not easy! I was not even allowed to be referred if i was still smoking. nice to see another mainer here with the same surgeon....i wonder how your surgery went....

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.mayes
    Last Activity
    06-08-2012 09:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Good for you! I'm glad to hear that EMC is becoming more and more advanced in this area! I'm originally from Maine. I found it to be a difficult place to maintain healthy weight, escpecially in the winter months. I wish you all the best on your journey!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi - I'm in what I guess we should call DownWest Maine I'd heard EMC was great, but too far for me to get there at 3 hrs away. I went to Portsmouth Regional. The docs/bariatric coordinators/nutrition/pt/psych are top notch as is the program as a whole but I was not impressed by the way the actual hospital is run. Very disorganized lot, run by a big corporation...'nuf said. It's also a COE and I have 5 yrs of follow up I need to do, plus support groups, etc. I'll be moving back to NH hopefully this year nearer to my kids/grandkids so Portsmouth works.

Wanted to say in all fairness that while I'm happy my insurance required me to do the pre-op classes, etc, especially the psych part... I've noted a lot of folks on here who are doing extremely well just self paying in MX too. But, I was willing to jump through their hoops since they were paying....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Huy Trieu
    Last Activity
    02-22-2015 12:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hello Mainers
    I am new to these forums, I am from Maine, and had a Revision from Lapband to Gastric Sleeve done on Oct, 27, 2014 by Dr, Huy Trieu in Augusta Maine, He is wonderful. I would love to hear from people from Maine and elsewhere, So far I am feeling good from the surgery, Still bloated so not sure of the wt loss , Lost 15 lbs on the liquid diet pre op, Waiting for replies, Donna at Mammysm@aol.com

Gastric Sleeve Member KarenJean's Avatar
    Name
    KarenJean
    Surgery date
    12/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loggins
    Last Activity
    03-28-2015 09:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaES View Post
    Hello Mainers
    I am new to these forums, I am from Maine, and had a Revision from Lapband to Gastric Sleeve done on Oct, 27, 2014 by Dr, Huy Trieu in Augusta Maine, He is wonderful. I would love to hear from people from Maine and elsewhere, So far I am feeling good from the surgery, Still bloated so not sure of the wt loss , Lost 15 lbs on the liquid diet pre op, Waiting for replies, Donna at Mammysm@aol.com

Hi Donna!! I don't see too many Mainers in here. I live just northwest of Portland and was sleeved by Dr. Loggins in Lewiston on 12/9. Doing pretty well!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Huy Trieu
    Last Activity
    02-22-2015 12:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hello Karen Jean
    Not seeing alot from Maine and I know there are alot of people in Maine that have had gastric sleeves , oh well maybe after a while. we will hear some replies, I am doing ok, wt. loss seems to have stopped for the time being, not sure why, not doing anything different, I can feel inches going down though, I have read where people are having this happen to them too, Hope that the stall isn't for too long, I am not a patient person, I am suppose to go to Nutritionalist on Tues and my doctor before that, Not too sure if I am going to make the appts, with the news I am hearing about the weather saying we are going to be slammed with a huge snowstorm, so we will see. Hope that you are doing well. and so what are you eating these days, I am trying to get in mostly proteins, that is hard, did get some protein drinks that are 30g of protein a pc, so that is about half of my daily need,, I try to get eggs in and cheese, cottage cheese, chicken, not real keen on beef, except hamburg, not much on steak, or pork, not much of a fish eater either, eater tuna fish every once and awhile that is a good source or protein, I have it with light mayo. and celery and onions, and on lettuce, try not to get too much bread in, and when I do use light Italian bread. Donna

Gastric Sleeve Member KarenJean's Avatar
    Name
    KarenJean
    Surgery date
    12/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loggins
    Last Activity
    03-28-2015 09:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Hi Donna!
    Yup, we're getting ready for the big storm too! I don't mind the snow, but I hate the cold and the power outages.
    I'm doing okay post-sleeve. I haven't been on the scale for a couple of weeks, but last check I was down 50 pounds. I'm drinking protein shake for breakfast and dinner, usually, and lean protein or soup or a lean cuisine for supper. I'm trying to stay 600-800 calories. I started giving up sugar two years ago, so staying away from it has been easy. I do miss nice greasy chinese food, lol, but I think I would just puke it back up. For ease, sometimes I just grab a rotisserie turkey breast and pick on that all week. My hubby is taking care of his own meals right now.

K.