Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Lapband to VSG-Help!

anitalynn,
    hi,
    i had rny 7 years ago and have regained 40. i am scheduled for lapband in july, but have just heard from another member that they went to a sleeve after first getting rny, then a lapband. i'm getting nervous about lapband issues too. i do wonder though, if we stretched out after rny, will we stretch out again after sleeve? let me know how it goes! good luck!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Anita Lynn
    Surgery date
    05/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-27-2012 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I am not eliglble for a sleeve. I don't know who did that to someone who had a RNY but there isn't anyone who will do a sleeve after rny surgery. They can so a duodenal switch..but that is more complicated and I didn't like some of the cons about it...with a lapband ..it is adjusted with fills so we have control of the size of the hole the food goes thru and eat less...there is always ample room for someone to go off a regime and eat the wrong things to gain back weight..rny patients stretch their pouch overtime just because it is there and has no restrictions after the initial surgery when it was 2 ounces...so...talk to your dr. but as far as I can tell and was told ..rny pts have an advantage over plain lap band as they put the band back to where the original size pouch was and we are already rerouted....good luck hope this helps....

Name
    Linda Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Naim
    Last Activity
    06-23-2013 03:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I had the lapband removed and the gastric sleeve done in one surgery -- if it's option for you, I would recommend it. One of my friends had her band removed in early March and has to wait until June or July to get her sleeve or bypass and she already gained 20 lbs, poor gal!

Quote Originally Posted by MsMook1979 View Post
    I am considering having surgery in Mexico and have looked into two doctors. One doc wants to do the removal of the band then sleeve in two procedures and the other doc wants to do the removal and sleeve in one procedure. My question is: Have any of you out there had this procedure done and what are your experiences good or bad with one or two procedures? I am concerned about health risk, safety and money too.
    Thx.

Gastric Sleeve Member hirnsandy's Avatar
    Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Payne
    Last Activity
    06-26-2013 01:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

Had the band to sleeve revision on Mar 22nd-- one surgery. The only problem I have had is that the incision from the port removal has taken a long time to heal. They had to cut it out and it has been open ever since. I visit the wound clinic weekly and they are happy with how it is going.
    I am so happy with my sleeve... 6 weeks out and I am eating so much better. My band made everything hang up! Good luck!
    Sandy

I attribute my success to this -- that I never gave or took any excuse.
    – Florence Nightingale

Surgery date
    02/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rajkumar
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 11:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree-get the revision done at the same: time-one anesthetic, one recovery. I didn't as my husband didn't want me to and I couldn't really afford it at the time. Anyway-I waited a year and many pounds heavier, he finally relented and I had it done. I have had quite a few issues which I have been told would have been averted if I had done it at the same time.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Anita Lynn
    Surgery date
    05/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-27-2012 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thumbs up Re: Lapband to VSG-Help!

I just had my lapband May 16th and I am down ten pounds. I am of course on a liquid diet and have another week to go although I now have protein shakes and they said if I could tolerate greek yogurt plain to go ahead.
    I found someone to do the fills and feel quite good about this as we have the option of restricting or loosening the band ...we had nothing to say about what our pouches did with the RNY..they band around the pouch created by the previous surgery...I think we may even have an advantage as we bypass the stomach and regular banders do not...
    Dr Almanza had the surgery himself...he is awesome and the care from the people there was good and the Jerusalem Hospital was exceptionally clean..smelled good you could eat off the floors...seriously....it is just a smaller place there and I would opt to stay an extra night free at the guest house..they told me just overnight but then it was that I had the last surgery at 7Pm and should have stayed another day there but I had made my air reservations already...good luck ..you will be great....Anita

Surgery date
    07/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Lewis
    Last Activity
    10-25-2012 04:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

I was so happy to read your story. I have had a band for 8years and lots about 115lb but in the last 2 years since a complete defill I have put on half of my weight I had lost. I do have most of the fluid back in now but it just isn't working for me any more. I have spoken to a surgeon last week and am awaiting his reply if he will give me a sleeve.. I so hope so.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sheetal Patel
    Last Activity
    06-08-2012 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I had both on the same day. It was about a 3.5 hour surgery. My healing time I notice is a bit longer than others but I'm recovering from 2. I would do it the same way again, but man did I get scared! Also, I had a drain for 2 weeks which I hated but it was for the best. Good luck and feel fre to message me with any questions if needed!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    07/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shin
    Last Activity
    09-30-2013 07:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts