01/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Atkinson
    Last Activity
    10-02-2012 06:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Question What got you started on exercise?

I have not had surgery yet. I'm in the process of setting it up and I've been told to start exercising, even if it's just for a few minutes a day to get in the habit. Any suggestions for how to start or what to do would be greatly appreciated, as would any stories of how you did it. Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Parker
    Last Activity
    05-09-2012 08:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 197 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 136 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What got you started on exercise?

I was told to exercise to prevent blood clots and to walk around the block 3 times a day. I was doing 1/2 mile the 2nd week and now I do 3-5 miles 11 weeks out 3 times a week. Otherwise I walk at least 3o minutes a day.

Gastric Sleeve Member TrailNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 120 Times
    Blog Entries

Just get outside and start walking until you are tired.

Add me on myfitnesspal.com
    TrailNurse

Gastric Sleeve Member BigChicken's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Terry Pinson
    Last Activity
    12-25-2012 07:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 199 Times
    Blog Entries

I started to get my body ready for what it is going to be put thru. I have harped on my latest find many times on here. They are Trekking Poles or hiking poles. They are very popular in Europe. It is becoming more popular here in the states. Google Nordic walking and look for my thread on walking poles there is a link there from the Mayo Clinic.
    I have had mine for a month. I started out slow and am now working my way up to over 45 minutes a day. I love them because the poles take the pressure off you joints and I being near 300 lbs have bad knees. I always had to stop because of my knees hurting so bad but not with the poles. I got my poles at LL Bean but you can them also on Amazon. I promise you if you just try them, you too will be sold. I can not tell you how much I love them.
    We are all in this boat together, If we do not row it will sink! So, We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live. From the movie Ben Hur.

Gastric Sleeve Member BigChicken's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Terry Pinson
    Last Activity
    12-25-2012 07:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 199 Times
    Blog Entries

I started to get my body ready for what it is going to be put thru. I have harped on my latest find many times on here. They are Trekking Poles or hiking poles. They are very popular in Europe. It is becoming more popular here in the states. Google Nordic walking and look for my thread on walking poles there is a link there from the Mayo Clinic.
    I have had mine for a month. I started out slow and am now working my way up to over 45 minutes a day. I love them because the poles take the pressure off you joints and I being near 300 lbs have bad knees. I always had to stop because of my knees hurting so bad but not with the poles. I got my poles at LL Bean but you can them also on Amazon. I promise you if you just try them, you too will be sold. I can not tell you how much I love them.
    We are all in this boat together, If we do not row it will sink! So, We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live. From the movie Ben Hur.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigChicken View Post
    Last night, we found a set of the trekking/hiking poles at Tuesday Morning for $12.99. Hoping to try them out soon!