Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    04-10-2012 08:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default My sleeve journey, one step at a time

Hi,

My Name is Cherie but I go by CJ and I have been overweight most of my life.

I have struggled and struggled with my weight. A few times I have lost over 80lbs only to be derailed. One time with breast cancer and once with a total hysterectomy. I became clear to me as I approached my 50th birthday I need to do something so that I could enjoy my next 50 years.

Last year in October I started looking at different WLS solutions. I knew that the bypass and the band just weren’t right for me and was thrilled when I found the sleeve. After a few months of research and talking to lots and lots of surgeons ( I work at a hospital) I made up my mind to do this.

The company I worked for at the time did not cover the surgery. I started a new job in January and had thought my surgery was covered but found out later it wasn’t. Time went on as I tried to find a solution. My husband came up with a great solution for us to be self payers and I moved forward.

I then started looking for a bariatric surgical center of excellence for my surgery. I am very fortunate that there are several to choose from in my area and decided to go with Flagger Bariatric Center in St Augustine FL.

I could not have chosen better. Dr. Marema is awesome and so is the hospital staff. The hospital actually has a bariatric wing! My nurses were all trained as Bariatric nurses. My room so huge and overlooked the ocean. Everything was oversized and roomy. I even had a pre stocked fridge with acceptable drinks so I could get what I need to drink.

Even with all that and the classes I had to attend and the pre diet and medical hoops I had to jump though to get to my surgical date I was still so nervous!!!

But 6/7 finely came and off I went to my surgery. I had a few bumps but over all it went really well. I had very little surgical pain and was up doing laps around the nurse’s stations 7 and 8 times a day. Drinking was hard but I pushed though it and did what I could. After a few days I came home and started working out of my book for guidance on food choices, exercise and activities.

It seems from talking to everyone that Dr’s have different views on what to eat and how much to eat when you get home. My Dr has a very specific plan on when you can eat what and how much. I have a book that shows me what foods I can have (low carb for 7 months) and when I can have them.

It is broken up in to first 15 days, then 15 to 30 days then 30 to 7 months and then 7 months to goal. Each section adds some new foods and also gives you recipes and ideas of how to prepare different foods you might not have eaten before.

My first few days were puréed foods…. BLECK! Did I mention I love to cook??
    I became inventive and actually like a few of the things I made but now I have just entered into soft foods!! YEA!!!!

I’m having much more fun with these foods and I’m really felling better and getting in to my groove so to speak. I’m back at work and have my foods and vitamins ready to go to take with me for the day.

The first week was hard. Not every thing stayed in my tummy and not every thing felt good either. I was still cooking but didn’t really feel like part of our family dinner time. And even though I wasn’t hungry others felt guilty enjoying food around me. My saving grace was tomato bisque. Warm, creamy and I felt like I was eating pizza in a bowl.

But I pushed on. I have been to several social events and even put on a party for 35 at our house for my father–in-law’s 70th birthday last Saturday.

I have been very worried about social eating. We entertain a lot!

So far I have been doing very well. Most of our social parties and events include the same 40 or more people. I chose to include them in my “news” about having the surgery and I have to say it was the best decision I have made. They have been the best support checking on me and supporting me and not make me feel weird because I’m not eating a lot.

Well this is me 2 weeks out – family, friends and work. Life is back to about as normal as it ever gets for me. I have been cleared for the water and am in the water an hour or more a day doing aerobics and swimming. I’m also working with some of those sports bands too! I love them, since I can do exercises while I watch TV !

Oh and did I mention I’m down from 288 to 264? I’m looking forward to being at or close to 200 by Christmas one baby step at a time!!!!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    03-29-2024 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Minches! Well written and what an inspiring story! Glad to hear that your husband came up with a solution and that you were able to take the plunge and change your life around so much. What a good man he is to help find a way when the jobs/insurance wouldn't help.
    I really enjoyed reading your journey and I'm really looking forward to hearing more about your success over time, and how in the upcoming months things change. Here's to 200 by Christmas! You can do it!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/30/2010
    Surgeon
    richardson
    Last Activity
    09-11-2012 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

wow, I am scheduled for 9/28 and am 52. I found your story so inspriring. thank you so very much. I wish your so much success. I hope I am as lucky as you with the progress and positive attitude. I am nervous. I am a nurse. Thanks for the story.
    Mary

6. Said thanks: