01/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Rice
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Lightbulb how do you get over your stomach being removed?????

HI everyone im new here i had my educational seminar yesterday and the support group meeting yesterday and enjoyed it! i went it thinking i was all on board for a lap-band but changed my mind to the gastric sleeve the only thing i cannot get off my mind is getting part of my stomach removed. I dont know why that scares me so much but my question is how and when did it everyone get over that part of the procedure? this scares me alot and i just need advice. i really would prefer this over the lap band i just need some advice.thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rhonda
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia Govea
    Last Activity
    11-30-2014 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 99 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 81 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Default Re: how do you get over your stomach being removed?????

I can't say that I had to get over it. I was more in the state of mind of "good riddance" !! It's all in the perspective. You still have your stomach. It is just a much smaller size. It becomes a tool to help us stop eating so darn much. I was sleeved Monday. And I have to tell you I still feel physically hungry. My stomach growls constantly. I still don't know the "full feeling" yet as I am on liquids. Jello is as solid as it has gotten so far. The sensations i get when drinking or eating are loud gurgles and growling, and the feeling that everything I am ingesting is turning to a foam. I feel like any minute bubbles and foam are going to start coming out of my mouth...picture the overflowing washer! But through it all, I don't have any regrets, and I still say "good riddance" to my former stomach!! Good luck with your decision.

Gastric Sleeve Member Brandon74352's Avatar
    Name
    Brandon
    Surgery date
    09/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-24-2013 02:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,275 Times

I looked at it this way. My stomach was overstretched from years of overeating. It was bigger than what I needed. They dont remove your entire stomach, just about 85% of it. So basically they are putting it back to size it was intended to be, maybe a little smaller. The sleeve is a great tool to help with weight loss.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Theresa
    Surgery date
    02/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Tri State
    Last Activity
    12-13-2021 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 352 Times

I am fine with the whole thing... one of my friends that is having the sleeve put it this way when speaking to someone the other evening (i about bust a gut laughing)

'i have to have surgery'
    oh really? ... for what?
    'I am having a body part removed'
    why?
    'it went bad'
    'it wasn't working right so i have to have it removed'
    what are you having removed?
    'my stomach'
    'my stomach is BAD it has to go'

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    01/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Rice
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

thank you for taking time to respond everyone...i know they dont remove all of your stomach lol thank you im gonna try and look at it that way of good riddance i dont need it it only makes me fat! LOL i like that conversation thats another thing i havent really told anyone just my mom husband and 2 close close friends i am scared to tell anyone in for fear of being judged. i am doing this for ME and i dont need their approval i just dont want to be judged especially by my husbands side of the family (all the beautiful people). when dod yall tell people? how did they react?

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Street
    Last Activity
    06-25-2012 09:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

My husband put into perspective for me. He said "you would be using about the same amount of stomach if you have a band as you are with a sleeve, only now it's not sitting there doing nothing and wasting space." Got to love mens logic, so simple. I hadn't looked at it like that. But to me it made since. I'm due for surgery on the 23rd of November and sure there will be a "mourning" period for me and how much I could eat but I'm looking forward to all the stuff I will be able to do that I haven't done in years. Good luck on this journey that we are all on!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Monica_Lynn's Avatar
    Name
    Monica
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rob Schuster
    Last Activity
    04-12-2012 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times

I thought of it like this.....Lap band is reversible and is a foreign object your body can reject....Sleeve is permanent. Now keep in mind that even with the sleeve you can gain weight back if you aren't following the correct diet. I wanted something more permanent to help me on this journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Kowalski
    Last Activity
    12-21-2011 02:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

For me there wasn't anything to 'get over' about them removing a portion of my stomach. It was more about "how do I explain this to people?" At first I was nervous and only explained a part of what the procedure, I didn't want to be judged. Then I realized I did it for ME and NO ONE else. People will make their own judgements regardless, so I realized that I didn't [still don't] care what they think! My health was really taking a hit. As time goes on, every day my confidence increases and I am more than happy to tell people about my life altering decision. I was sleeved in May 2011. Since then I have lost 75 pounds and people are AMAZED when they see me! I look and feel so much healthier and they see first hand the positive impact this surgery has had for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 05:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 546 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

There is a growing body of medical evidence which suggests that lap-bands are not as good as some might believe. Particularly, some stomachs can apparently up-end themselves to try to digest the band. Then there is the problem of getting the so called "sweet spot" in terms of your fill - and making sure that you don't get belted in the stomach by one of your children (my oldest is 21!) or a team member when playing sport.

The downside of the gastric sleeve is that it has not been around for as long as the band, and so long - term evidence is not available. But increasingly experts are advising the sleeve over the band.

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I can't say that I had to get over it. I was more in the state of mind of "good riddance" !! It's all in the perspective. You still have your stomach. It is just a much smaller size. It becomes a tool to help us stop eating so darn much. I was sleeved Monday. And I have to tell you I still feel physically hungry. My stomach growls constantly. I still don't know the "full feeling" yet as I am on liquids. Jello is as solid as it has gotten so far. The sensations i get when drinking or eating are loud gurgles and growling, and the feeling that everything I am ingesting is turning to a foam. I feel like any minute bubbles and foam are going to start coming out of my mouth...picture the overflowing washer! But through it all, I don't have any regrets, and I still say "good riddance" to my former stomach!! Good luck with your decision.
    that's inflammation- did they put you on an acid reducer? If not call and ask for one and try taking TUMS with calcium.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Well, I did also have to "get over it". One of the reasons it has taken me a year to really decide to go for it.

It scares me a little to make an irreversible decision like this, especially after the failed band which had to be removed. And although it was removed, the band leaves scar tissue etc so not like it is 100% reversed. The odds of issues iwth the band are in reality much much higher then we were told back in 2001 when I was banded.

However, it scares me even more to keep gaining weight. I have tried EVERYTHING - many things more then once. I used to be able to lose weight and of course regain; now, I can't even seem to lose weight without surgery. I don't see that I have much choice besides proceeding with another shot at weight loss surgery.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

If your breasts are too large, you can get a breast reduction. If your nose is too large, you can get rhinoplasty....etc. My stomach is too big, alowing me to eat more than I need to stay at a healthy weight, so I like to look at it as a "stomach reduction"

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

The sleeve is the closest to nature of the three surgeries. I couldn't deal with something rerouted and I didn't want to add a man made piece that could cause more problems.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Pennington
    Last Activity
    01-25-2012 10:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I am also having the sleeve done on the 23rd! Good luck!! A little apprehensive about the surgery, but there are meds for that.

Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 07:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

I saw where someone had a name for their new little stomach...so I named mine Thumbalina...there's a miniature dwarf horse called Thumbalina (google it) and so my analogy was that I used to eat like a horse but now I eat like a little horse. It just puts a fun lighthearted spin on it.