Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-10-2012 05:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Was Thanked 206 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 225 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Read about sleeve leaking

Dr. Almanza is rocking! I didn't know that he did three stages of closing the sleeve. I had gotten rearended at 3 weeks and 5 days post-op and didn't have any problems with a leak. Rock on Dr. Almanza!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    08/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-28-2015 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times

Lightly2: Thanks so much for the closure info. I am scheduled with Dr Almanza for Aug 10 and am making a list of questions for Louise. That is one of my questions...LOL I am sure glad to hear of the 3-step technique. I will still be concerned about a leak, but certainly not as much. Good luck on your journey!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-02-2013 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Wink Re: Read about sleeve leaking

Yup! Dr. Almanza is a STAR. Lisak19 you wil be fine with Dr. A. bobbybeegood, you are so right...Practice does make perfect. Dr. Almanza is so cool and confident with his patients and his work. You feel at ease once you meet him and he explains the procedure and what he is going to do.

One other thing I like about Dr. A is he is a sleeved person himself and he exudes health. There are also 2 other doctors and a nurse there that were sleeved. They believe in the sleeve enough to be sleeved. I had no doubts about the procedure but this just made me feel more at ease about the decision to be sleeved and about my choice of Doctor. Heck, some people might look at the price and be turned off by it but I look at all the clothes that the difference in price will buy once I reach my goal weight or the plastic surgery procedude I will be able to pay for if I need after my weitht loss. I hope none of us spring a leak.

bobbybeegood if your daughter can not get a doctor to do a leak test in 3 months, maybe she can take another trip to MX and get it done there. Now that I know that crossing the TJ border is not so bad, I plan to be down in MX more often and I will just give Louise a call and coordinate getting a follow up if need be. Now that I have a longer time to book the air fare should be a lot less that what I paid last time. Again, good luck to you all. Be very gentle to your sleeves and follow the diet guidelines. I would hate to loose any of my sleeve family members. We have a lifetime of living to do, places to go, and people to meet. Sorry for sounding preachy but I am just so DARN happy about my sleeve. It just makes me wanna SHOUT! Peace to you all.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Shannon
    Surgery date
    05/23/2014
    Surgeon
    James Redman
    Last Activity
    05-23-2014 02:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I had surgery April 16, 2009 and weighed 286 lbs. Within a year, I had lost down to 145 lbs. I LOVED my life and my body. I now weigh 195 lbs. and i'm VERY upset about it. I did everything right, stayed sick for the first year, in and out of the hospital. I finally got over all of the complications and got to where I could eat food and keep it down. Now I can eat anything I want, keep it down and I just keep gaining weight. I'm very disappointed in my surgery as I paid $16000 CASH for my surgery. I'm still paying for it and GAINING weight back. I don't know what has gone wrong and can't go back to my surgeon without it costing me a fortune that I DON'T have.
    Shannon T. Pierron

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I am so sorry! I certainly know how you feel as someone who had a band and weigh more now then i did when I was banded 10 years ago.

I am glad you share your story as i think it is important for people to know that the surgery is not a guarantee forever fix. I think that the surgery really helps the first year or so... but after that, you are kinda back to the diet and exercise to keep the weight off. The way it has been described to me is that you have that initial huge weight loss and then some time to kinda reset your lifestyle. Sadly, the surgery doesn't continue "working" the same year after year and people can definately regain.

Quote Originally Posted by srpierron View Post
    I had surgery April 16, 2009 and weighed 286 lbs. Within a year, I had lost down to 145 lbs. I LOVED my life and my body. I now weigh 195 lbs. and i'm VERY upset about it. I did everything right, stayed sick for the first year, in and out of the hospital. I finally got over all of the complications and got to where I could eat food and keep it down. Now I can eat anything I want, keep it down and I just keep gaining weight. I'm very disappointed in my surgery as I paid $16000 CASH for my surgery. I'm still paying for it and GAINING weight back. I don't know what has gone wrong and can't go back to my surgeon without it costing me a fortune that I DON'T have.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-11-2013 07:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Lorna when did you have your surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna Doone View Post
    There are 2 possible ways to cause a leak
    #1. During surgery the surgeon may not staple you good enough.
    For the most part this is rare in the hands of an experienced surgeon.
    #2. You yourself could cause a leak for not sticking to a liquid diet for the first 2 weeks. This happens from eating solids too soon. After 2 weeks post-op
    leaks are very rare.

Gaining the weight back: This too is rare. The stomach pouch is very small.
    For the most part those who follow the rules of protein first will not gain back the weight. However for those folks who have severe food addictions it's possible. This can be accomplished by consuming the wrong foods which are high in calories or consuming high calorie liquids. If a sleever needs further help down the road they can choose to do the 2nd surgery which is bypass or switch. This would keep them from absorbing high calorie intake.

Lorna