Dr. Hadar Spivak
    Last Activity
    10-27-2014 02:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,074 Times
    Blog Entries

Default obsession with weighting yourself

After the sleeve surgery how often I should weight myself, once a week or every day, maybe once in every two weeks, what is healthy and what is an obsession?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: obsession with weighting yourself

I think it's only an obsession if you get upset when you vary naturally and don't look at the overall picture.
    I weigh every morning and will continue to do so. It gives me the reminder throughout the day to keep on track.
    Some folks don't need to and do it once a week.
    So, it's whatever you need, provided it isn't causing some adverse action like purging or starving yourself if you happen to go up .5 lb during pms time or the like....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member kelleyk25's Avatar
    Name
    Kelley
    Surgery date
    07/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sheetal Patel
    Last Activity
    05-19-2015 10:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 55 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 367 Times

Oriya, for the first couple of weeks after my surgery I would weigh myself multiple times throughout the day - morning, afternoon, evening, bedtime, etc... To say I was obsessed with the scales would be an extreme understatement. It got to a point where my husband hid the scales from me and would only bring them out once a week. I must say that DID help, but the one day he brought the scales from their hiding place and they never went back into hiding. From there I started weighing myself sometimes every day, sometimes every other day ... One thing that I AM consistent about now is weighing myself at the same time every day. I ALWAYS weigh in the morning, naked, before I have taken one drink of anything.

I agree with Grace, once a day is okay if it helps you stay on track, but just know that number will not always go down - there are times when that number will go up. Stay focused and in the long run that number will continue to go down!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Hi my name is Rae and I weigh myself daily. I typically do it right after letting the dogs out for their morning business meeting so its done around the same time daily. I do not expect that it goes down a pound every day but love it when that happens. I do understand that salt makes me retain water so if I am eating salty foods one day the next day I have maybe a pound or more added to the scale. I do it so I can stay on track because if I did it once a week and gained that day I would not be very motivated. I hate showing my weight on here but love every time I get to change the current weight so I do it to keep my eye on the goal and that is to make what I don't like go away. This site keeps me honest and focused. I guess that's why I log in daily.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kay Black's Avatar
    Name
    Kay Black
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

I got rid of my scales over 30 years ago ... I'd rather not be controlled by the scales. I like the results of how my clothes are fitting. I just weight when I go back to the Dr for my check-in's! Next one coming up 11/22.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Oriya
    Surgery date
    12/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hadar Spivak
    Last Activity
    10-27-2014 02:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,074 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks soo much to everybody, who replied, I can't wait to finaly get my sleeve and begin my transformation. It's soo encouraging to see all of your amaizing acheievements.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

My aim is to weigh myself once a week on a Thursday, the day i had my op on. Sometimes i manage to wait a week other times i'm just too nosey and cheat and weigh myself several times a week but most of the time my scales haven't budged a lb so i end up disapointed. It was when i realised that i was getting upset over the scales not moving that i stopped getting on them every day. I would recommend going on the scales as many times as will make you happy, when what you see starts effecting you negatively that's the time to put them away.x

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-19-2016 11:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times
    Was Thanked 355 Times in 317 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

I am a scale whore---I LOVE being able to get on it and have it be less than 200 lbs. I bet I step on the scale every time I am in the bathroom. I do record my weight every morning - it is fun for me to see it go down. Sometimes it does go up, and down and up and down, I am so totally ok with that---weighing in every day first thing in the am keeps me on top of where I am at. Even on vacation I used my mom's scale. I am aware that this is obsessive compulsive behavior---FOR ME---trading the eating and what will I have for my next meal for the jumping on the scale and smiling with happiness is a far better way to live my life. We are all different, what works for one may not work for another---you will find what works for you, and when you do you will be amazed at how you feel. Blessings and hugs- Connie

16. Said thanks: