Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-15-2023 07:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default I've got a question, hoping for encouragement.

About 4 yrs ago, I had a ventral hernia repair with mesh. Will that prevent me from being able to have a gastric sleeve? Will it be problematic in any way? I go for my consultation on the 12th but I'd appreciate any information offered.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/05/2023
    Surgeon
    Mani Niazi
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 03:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Re: I've got a question, hoping for encouragement.

Hi,

I have a large piece of mesh in place for a similar hernia. I spoke about it at length with my surgeon and he is confident it will be fine. I go in tomorrow for my sleeve. I can let you know what recovery is like.
    HeartOnMySleeve23

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

How exciting for you! I'm happy for you and glad that your wait for a new life is finally over. Thank you for the response and encouragement; this gives me hope, and please keep me posted on how things go.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/05/2023
    Surgeon
    Mani Niazi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Dear Faithful, I'm two days post op and I had no problems with my hernia mesh. The sites are as tender as expected. I ended up with five laparoscopic sites.
    HeartOnMySleeve23

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

HeartOnMySleeve23,

This is excellent news to be reading this morning! It's so awesome that you're no longer dreaming a dream but living reality. Did they have to go through your mesh? I was wondering if your surgery was done as an outpatient and if so, how was the ride home? Op is my only option because I'll be a self-pay as my insurance is stupid and it will be close to a 2 hr drive home. I hope you have a good sound support system around you during your recovery. Amazing how this little bit of communication is giving me hope. Thank you!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/05/2023
    Surgeon
    Mani Niazi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I was in hospital for 2 days, including the day of surgery. My hospital was also a two hour drive away. I was fine in the car. There were a few unpleasant bumps, but it was ok. Yes they definitely went through my mesh. I had my operation at 11:30am Monday and discharged 12:30pm Wednesday.

The first day was the worst, in terms of recovery. They did provide me a lot of pain and nausea relief. I don't want you thinking it was easy, but it is endurable. You can get through it.
    HeartOnMySleeve23

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

I'm anxious about Monday. I know I have to jump through a few hoops to get where I want to go, but I'm ready. How are you doing now that you are home? Are you managing to get down your set water amount and managing your pain level fairly well? I've seen where the intake of enough water can be a challenge when first starting.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/05/2023
    Surgeon
    Mani Niazi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

My pain level is minimal. I do have a strong pain killer that I take at night time just so I can get some good sleep. I don't even need panadol/tylenol throughout the day. I am still on antinausea and antiacid. The incision sites are obviously tender. I am tolerating water and no sugar electrolyte drinks fine. I have not vomited once. I did drink too much protein shake yesterday and it caused a bit of dumping syndrome. I will slow down how quickly and the volume of them that I drink and I will be fine.

The actual surgery day like I said was awful and I needed a high amount of pain relief. The next day was a dramatic improvement. Each day has been improving like that for me.
    HeartOnMySleeve23

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

You are doing so well! It's great that you are paying attention to your body and learning what your stomach can and cannot handle. The improvements that you see every day will spur you forward. I'm excited to hear about your weight loss and how you feel when you wear clothes that don't fit because they are too big! Oh, what a feeling that must be!

I've had a bit of a setback, but it isn't the first one. I'm looking at things positively which is helping me not stress out. We (the husband and I) discovered that the surgeon I planned to use had less-than-ideal ratings. So, with encouragement from my husband, I'm going elsewhere. I've already watched the seminar video and submitted my preregistration form. Now, it's just a matter of waiting to hear from them. The reply said the wait could take up to 4 weeks. Ugh! I'm hoping for much sooner. I'd have this surgery today if they'd let me!