Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-22-2021 04:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 8 days away and having second thoughts, help...

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Was really hoping to get some advice from those who have been through the gastric sleeve.

A little background. I'm 45, BMI 43, history of arteriosclerosis (2 stents) and T2 diabetes (under control with meds). My cardio has recommended I consider the gastric sleeve and I've been working towards it since end of last year and I am 8 days away now.

I was excited and all ready for it but lately the more I read of some people's experience the more I'm scared, and I am suddenly getting second thoughts. I've been trying to find out more about what to expect after surgery but can't seem to find a good source from people who have actually gone through the surgery, so I'm really hoping you would be willing to help to share your experiences.

Some of the things that are playing on my mind:

1) How long will we struggle to drink water? I've read that even after healing completely it may take 15 minutes to drink even half a teacup of water without vomiting, is this true?
    2) I've seen that some people say they will almost always vomit after eating or drinking? Is it really that common?
    3) I am on quite a few meds which my cardio says I need to start the day after the surgery. Will I be able to swallow the meds?
    4) Will we feel tired and impaired due to the limited food and water we can take? I'm on my pre-op liquid diet now and I just feel so weak and hungry, is this the constant feeling to expect after surgery?
    5) I was made to understand from the doc that dumping isn't common for the gastric sleeve, yet I've read quite a number of accounts that say otherwise. Is this something common as well?
    6) I currently do not have GERD, but is this something I should expect to occur after the surgery? I've read some people can't even lie down without getting acid reflux.

I know it is a long post, but I'm really hoping to get some idea of what to expect as the fact it is permanent and (for example) I may be stuck with not being able to even stay hydrated without being nauseous just scares me. Thanks in advance for any advice or help. Cheers.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: 8 days away and having second thoughts, help...

I can appreciate your concerns and will give my opinion. I had my surgery at 65 years old. I regret not doing it 10 years sooner. I was 307 lbs and got down to 210. My knees, ankles, hips and back now feel great. My gp doctor is thrilled at my progress. He says I have the blood work of a 35 year old man. Best decision I ever made. For the last 3 years my weight is stable. I will address your numbered points.

1. Right after surgery I had no problem sipping the required amounts of fluid. After healing I never had any problem or discomfort from drinking. I never had a vomiting issue. It does not take 15 minutes to drink. Not true.
    2. I never vomited after eating or drinking. Ever. You do have to relearn how to eat. You need to recognize that once you are full even one or two forkfuls can make you uncomfortable. You will learn this quickly. Not a problem for me.
    3. You will be able to swallow your meds.
    4. After surgery you will feel tired for two reasons. Your body just was given a pretty nice jolt due to the surgery. You will feel tired because you body is working hard to heal. Also you are ingesting a much smaller number of calories. I was tired for the first month and then back to normal. Being tired was offset by losing 19lbs on the liquid pre surgery diet and then I lost 30 lbs in the first month. Not a bad start.
    5. Dumping is a problem with a gastric bypass surgery not a sleeve. I never had any dumping issues. You need to follow your nutritionist advice and you will have no problem.
    6. I had very mild acid reflux do to eating too fast. Never a problem for me.

In summary, someone out there in cyber space will always have some complication or problem. The gastric sleeve is a time tested proven weight loss tool. Its not magic, you have to work at it. But it rewards you with a fairly quick and consistent weight loss. You then learn to maintain. Not hard either. You can do this. Make it happen. You only have one life, make it as healthy as you can.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ryann
    Surgery date
    05/21/2018
    Surgeon
    Benjamin Clapp MD
    Last Activity
    04-08-2024 12:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: 8 days away and having second thoughts, help...

1) How long will we struggle to drink water? I've read that even after healing completely it may take 15 minutes to drink even half a teacup of water without vomiting, is this true?
    **The major key to this is sip sip sip. Don't try to drink it quickly or gulp. Tiny sips are the way to go.

2) I've seen that some people say they will almost always vomit after eating or drinking? Is it really that common?
    **It happens as sometimes you may eat too much or too quickly in the first few days. I only ever did it once and that was after taking an iron supplement and gulping down my drink.

3) I am on quite a few meds which my cardio says I need to start the day after the surgery. Will I be able to swallow the meds?
    **You'll have to be careful. If you have powder capsules you could try to dissolve them in water or another drink (not soda!) and sip it down.

4) Will we feel tired and impaired due to the limited food and water we can take? I'm on my pre-op liquid diet now and I just feel so weak and hungry, is this the constant feeling to expect after surgery?
    **You will definitely feel tired especially after the surgery while your body recovers and adjusts to your new lifestyle. It's a challenge for sure, but you'll get through it soon enough. Make sure to take your supplements so you don't nutritionally deprive your body.

5) I was made to understand from the doc that dumping isn't common for the gastric sleeve, yet I've read quite a number of accounts that say otherwise. Is this something common as well?
    **It depends on the person. :/ Can't really comment on this one.

6) I currently do not have GERD, but is this something I should expect to occur after the surgery? I've read some people can't even lie down without getting acid reflux.
    ** It can happen after surgery. I had a bit of acid reflux in the beginning which subsided as my body recovered.

6. Said thanks: