Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    08-29-2022 08:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Exclamation Post op gastric sleeve 7 years breastfeeding and weight gain

Hi all!

I am a veteran gastric sleever! I am 7 years post op I was 260 lbs when I started my journey got down to 142 lbs kept my weight for a long time gained about 15 lbs before I got pregnant 6 years post opt ( was searching to see if I had a thyroid issue ) and I have kept 95% of the weight off this whole time by exercising and eating paleo . We had a planned pregnancy since I would be turning 35 the next year. I got pregnant end of September 2019 had my baby boy June 30,2020 I only gained 20 lbs during my pregnancy but once I had my son I only needed to lose 10lbs I eat healthy. My son is 8 months old today and I weigh more now from breastfeeding now than when I was pregnant . I have gained 25 lbs breastfeeding and I can’t figure out why!!! I don’t exercise right now because if I do my milk supply drops and I don’t want my milk to drop because it’s what my little one eats ( I am breastfeeding until 1 year he is 8 months now) and anyone who has had the sleeve and tried breastfeeding know how hard it is to drink enough and eat enough . On a good day I can eat 1600 calories which I know isn’t enough when your feeding myself and him he nurses through the night and so I am constantly nursing him.

Is there any other women out there have this issue with weight gain while breastfeeding? I dont eat sugar, or gluten and very little dairy I eat paleo , organic and do a lot of Whole Foods my only cheat food I have is chips if I am in a hurry .

Thank you !!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce De Leon
    Last Activity
    02-27-2021 03:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Post op gastric sleeve 7 years breastfeeding and weight gain

Wow! my story is very similar to yours. I was sleeved in 2012, starting weight was 205, got down to 137lbs. I have had 2 pregnancies since then. My last pregnancy was last year. My baby was born June 17, 2020. I'm still breastfeeding and I'm super hungry all day. I'm having difficulty losing the baby weight, I'm currently 165lbs I'm also not exercising much. My sugar cravings are back. I'm very disappointed with myself.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    08-29-2022 08:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Default Re: Post op gastric sleeve 7 years breastfeeding and weight gain

It’s crazy ! From everything I have read it’s because we can’t take in enough micronutrients so our bodies are in a depletion survival mode especially since breastfeeding. I kept my weight at 142 for ever for up to 157 right before I got pregnant after pregnancy I was 179lb but since I have gained and gained I am up to 195lbs . Which is crazy because I don’t eat a ton I have been logging my calories and some days I eat 1100 calories and if I really try to eat which like you some days I am super hungry I eat up to 1600 calories and I am not working out . So it is so upsetting that my weight just keeps going up especially after having weight loss surgery and doing everything right .
    I understand how you feel it’s so upsetting . People keep telling me you had a baby give yourself grace be patient but it’s hard when my biggest fear is being 200lbs plus and I am almost there .
    I am so sorry this is happening to you too. I am
    Thinking of trying to find a super greens powder but it’s hard to find one that doesn’t have a stimulant in it or parsley or furngreek in it . I have developed some hypothyroidism as well after pregnancy but I have read most all women in the PP phase along with breast feeding all kinds develope that since sleep deprived and everything that goes with having a baby, that it should go away or improve once done breastfeeding and sleep is better .

I wish I knew if this weight will fall off when I am done breastfeeding or if I am going to be stuck with this weight and have to go to extremes to lose it . When I was 260lbs working out was so hard with all that weight on it was so much easier for me to work out and maintain once I got down to a weight that wasn’t so hard on me .

Thanks for responding to my post ! I was worried no one else was out there but me dealing with this which is mentally hard to deal with no matter how much I try to not worry.