Surgeon
    Andrea Schwoerer
    Last Activity
    10-25-2021 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 50 YO male - Sleeve tomorrow 2/23/21

(Copied from Member Intro Forum, meant to post this here as I looked at this forum much more frequently and want to reach others) Trying to figure out how to delete the other.

Hello fellow weight-challenged and former weight-challenged friends!

My name is Scott, I'm a 50 year old male, 5'11" and weighed 285 when I began the process to have gastric sleeve. I'm on the lower end of weight for what many would think makes such a drastic step called for (including some of my family and many of the friends I have told about it).

Before I get into a little about myself, I first want to tell you why I'm even posting on here. I am doing it as a THANK YOU to all of you former posters, and also hoping to get another male story out there as they are a little less common. What an amazing resource this is. So anyway - thank you to those of you before me who took the time to detail their journey. I plan to tell my story here in as much detail as possible, hopefully less for me and more for somebody else down the road. So here we go...

My background and reason for deciding to move forward with surgery is that I have battled weight my entire life. I was a chubby little boy and as an adult my "average" weight was around 260 with swings up to the highest I ever saw at 318 and the lowest I can remember at 239. After around 45 years old, I found it increasingly hard to drop the weight. That said, with hard work, I can drop weight to get down in the 250s. But then, inevitably, it comes back and it's a cycle that gets harder each year. I have high BP, high cholesterol, frequent knee and back pain. My hope with surgery is that it will drop my "base line" down to around 200 and allow me to be so much more active and just enjoy life more.

A unique speed bump I ran into was, I was originally scheduled for surgery in late November. The hospital stopped electives and my procedure was postponed. I was so disappointed, but took it in stride. It did cause some weight gain, as I went on what I assume most of us do, which is a "feast on my favorite foods" bender for what I thought was one last time. Well that turned into a couple months. Went from 285 up to 305. EEK. Luckily I was able to drop most of it in the 10 days or so leading up to surgery.

My doctor called for only a 3 day pre-op liquid diet, but knowing I had gained some weight, and being impatient and excited to start, I began liquid 5 days ahead. I have lost 10 lbs as of this morning on liquid diet. Liquid diet didn't bother me terribly. My doctor called for 4+ protein shakes per day (80g+ protein) and I utilized Premier Protein shakes as the source. TIP: I didn't purchase any flavorless protein powder, and would have in retrospect. The shakes are good when you are drinking 1-2 per day. 4+ gets tough after a day or 2. I would have mixed some powder into broth / strained soup had I known better. I drank a lot of water and water even starts to get a little bitter / different tasting but never enough where I can't drink it. I was taking in so much liquid, I honestly was never terribly hungry. Some grumbling the second day or so, but it really wasn't bad.

So pre-op I am writing this on day 5, my daily regimen didn't change much:
    Early AM - Premier Protein Cafe Latte (especially if coffee drinker, these are best as they have a hint of savory / not just sweet as gets old.
    Late AM - 1/2 PP shake - see below
    Lunch - Strained can of soup, added some beef or chicken broth
    Afternoon - PP Carmel (also great, and same - just not as sweet as others)
    Dinner - PP CL
    Evening - 1/2 PP shake

So I actually was only taking in 3 shakes on last few days, below what surgeon was wanting. By dinner time I was just shake'd out and not sure why (and thankfully), the hunger just wasn't really an issue. I wish I'd have had the protein powder to fill that need in the soup. I think the clear liquid drinks and protein powder have definite place for us - I have powder on order.

I tried a bunch of the Premier Protein (Costco sells some, others available online) and they have great texture and flavor. I'll continue these for life. My tastes were:
    Cafe Latte - amazing, and I'm not a coffee drinker. If you hate taste of coffee, this won't be for you. But as I said, it has less sweet taste and that's huge during liquid phase.
    Carmel - also very good and same as above
    Chocolate
    Strawberry - good in beginning but get too sweet
    Cookies and Creme - I did not care for this one at all and they went in garbage
    Cinnamon Roll - OK, but too sweet
    Pumpkin Spice - I have high hopes, ordered it too late though and it's still on the way. I'll have it for post-op

Last thing I think might be helpful to others: This isn't a big thing, but after I got a confirmed surgery date, I told many of my closer friends, family, and even co-workers about the upcoming surgery. With my situation and surgery getting postponed due to COVID, the time up to surgery got extended and I got a lot of "when is it" and such. In retrospect, I think I'd have kept it to myself till after. I suspect that many don't tell everyone about it, but for whatever reason I didn't care what people think and chose to share. It's not a big regret, and hopefully nobody else gets postponed like that, but now I would've waited.

OK - that's all I can think of in my pre-op review. I will post pre-op photos next week or so when I'm home recovering. Again - THANK YOU to every person who has posted to this forum in the past. YOU are why I'm writing this today.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 50 YO male - Sleeve tomorrow 2/23/21

Hello and thank you.
    What a great post!
    Really lovely to get another story added to the forum. It's been a little quiet of late.

I found this forum invaluable when starting my journey -and still do. No-one I knew had had this surgery and being able to come here and get advice and support has been fabulous.

I hope that all goes well with your surgery. Just follow your surgeons instructions and you will be fine.
    When you feel up to it please come back and tell us how you are doing.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Hoping that everything went well for your surgery yesterday. Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/23/2021
    Surgeon
    Andrea Schwoerer
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Everything went perfect. Was home next day at 4:30pm. I was up walking quite a bit in the hospital and able to knock down quite a bit of fluid. Pain after surgery as never bad at all. I'd say worst was maybe 6.5 on a 10 scale?.. Zero pain from incisions, the discomfort I feel is from gas still trapped in body. It kind of moves from side to side in my upper chest. From what I understand it is typical and will fade. Haven't pooped and when I do that should help. I'm sipping away on protein drinks and water. As of yet, no issues there either. Have some liquid Oxycodone that I used to help sleep last night and it worked wonderfully, got some good zzz's. I'm not using it during day unless things get worse or something.

Anyway - I'll update as things progress, but right now I'm very happy to report that it's going great!

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi! Glad to hear your surgery went well!! Im glad your pain wasn't bad, mine was but I think vomiting for 48hrs after waking up from surgery had something to do with that ;-)
    Keep moving around and that gas pain will eventually be gone. Follow your docs orders and don't over do anything.
    Its great to keep a detailed account of your journey for you and for others. I am 6 years out, I used to be on this site daily and people on here were so supportive and so helpful. I wish you the best!!
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/23/2021
    Surgeon
    Andrea Schwoerer
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Update - 4 days out. All in all, doing very well. Only real struggle is with built up / continual gas that is hard to rid of. With your abdomen a little sore, and fear of ripping something in there when exerting a lot of pressure, it's difficult to pass the gas.. I haven't enjoyed a good fart this much since I was a pre-teen LOL. Constant sipping hasn't been too big a deal, mainly water / PP protein shakes. Tried some broth / strained soup / protein powder and while it was nice to taste some savory, it didn't sit really well and haven't gone back to it. No real hunger to speak of nagging at me at all yet.

After first day at home, I have been able to manage the pain with only Tylenol during the day (and really could 24 hours), but since I have it, using the Oxycodone at bedtime. Works perfect, I've actually slept really really well last several days. If you have a lazy boy or your spot on couch with an ottoman, might consider sleeping there for first week. Definitely works better for me. Rolling over / moving in bed is still not a pleasant action.

Weighed in at 282 this morning, so down 18 lb since started pre-op diet. Weeeeee! OK that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll check in frequently, again - hopefully less for support, but more as a record that someone can utilize in the future as I did with all the folks that came before me on here. Thanks for your words of encouragement though, it's nice to know someone is out there that has been there / done that and relates. Have a great day!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Blog Entries

So glad that everything is going so well for you. Sounds like you are doing great.

Keep up the good work with getting those fluids in - water as much as you can - and walking will definitely help with the gas pain. Walk as far and as often as you feel able to.

My surgeon aimed for pooping once every 2 days once I started to get more food intake but I needed help with some laxatives (and still do occasionally). Don't be afraid to ask your surgeon for something if things get too bad. It can be really uncomfortable.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/23/2021
    Surgeon
    Andrea Schwoerer
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

2 week post-op update: Why. Didn't. I. Do. This. Sooner? LOL. So I have been very fortunate and I am thankful for that. I'm down 28 total from start of pre-op liquids at about 10 days post-op. I did hit a plateau - which came sooner than I expected. I didn't lose anything there for a few days, then actually gained 0.1 and 0.2 lb a few days. Between all the reading I've done on here as well as talking to my dietician, I understand this is common and nothing to worry about. It came sooner than I expected, but then I feel like everything has happened quickly with me so it is what it is... It tries to be a bit frustrating when you are following all the rules and taking in so little and you actually gain something, but in the grand scheme - all good. So today I sit at 271.9, down nearly 30 lbs in less than 3 weeks. WOW. Can completely feel it and see it already, especially in the face - I lost a chin already!

So as far as my experience - the liquids get challenging some days. Premier protein shakes are awesome but when you start relying on them too much they get tough to knock down, and it kind of goes in phases as far as what is tolerable. One flavor will be good one day and awful the next. It's a bit odd. I've had absolutely no problem with pain or vomiting or reflux or anything. Another thing that hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be after what I had read: many people report about taking too big drink or eating too big bites and it being painful or wanting to vomit, etc. I don't know why, but that really isn't an issue for me at all. I can take remarkably big gulps of water.I am generally careful and don't do that, but I'm not taking tiny baby sips by any means. Interesting.

As far as new foods in phase 2, I've done scrambled and poached egg, cottage cheese. Both went down fine, felt a hint of discomfort / tummy let me know it wasn't used to it yet, but it passed pretty quick. I started with less than 1 scrambled egg. Think I only ate about half of it. Next was a poached egg. That was delicious and I knocked whole thing down no prob. I'm up to 2 poached eggs. Personally, I like them better and they seem to sit better.

Hunger was a zero issue in days 1-10 post op. I have started to get actual hunger feelings when it's time to eat now, and my belly actually grumbles pretty good when it's wanting something. The thoughts of "mmmm wish I could..." pop in head when an ad comes on the TV for a big burger or pizza or something, but at this stage I'm still so motivated and happy with the process that it's easy to dismiss.

So at just over 2 weeks post-op, I am nearly 100% physically. Following the 15 lb lifting restriction for the most part, but I feel pretty close to being able to do anything. The incision sites are 75% healed up, and I'm blown away by how tiny they are.

Components of my diet so far
    Premier Protein shakes: Cafe Late, Pumpkin Spice, Caramel, Strawberry, Chocolate
    Greek Yogurt: forget brand, but high protein ones
    Poached or scrambled egg
    Low fat cottage cheese.
    SF Jello snacks
    Tomato Basil soup from Costco: likely not the best / healthiest, but delicious treat every few days.
    I've mixed protein powder in with broth / soup a few times, I really haven't had great success with that. Better than Bouillon is really good for early in liquids though.
    Light / NS added apple juice

Typical daily diet in week 2-3 post op
    AM - PP shake OR 2 poached eggs
    Lunch - PP shake OR 2 poached eggs whichever I didn't do for breakfast
    Afternoon - on good day part or all of a PP shake
    Snack somewhere in day - SF Jello
    Evening - whatever mood strikes me - cottage cheese, soup, eggs, shake. Different every day.
    CONSTANT sipping on water. I have always used the 24 oz bottle of Ice Mountain water with the flip top, even before I started the surgery process. I refill them with tap water (mine at home is excellent). I have one in the car, one next to my chair in living room, one in bedroom and one in office. I probably take a drink every 2 minutes. I don't read much about this anywhere and not sure if it's common, but I get dry mouth very quickly - I think it has to do with the protein drinks maybe. Especially if I'm talking a lot and I do every day as this is my busy season with work. Getting my daily liquid intake is not a problem at all lol.

Think that covers it all. Hope it helps someone, and again - thanks to all who have posted before. Really appreciate this reference. I'll post again at 1 month post op.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Blog Entries

Yay for you!
    You are doing great.
    Keep up the good work :-)

Last Activity
    08-17-2021 03:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks for your topic

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/23/2021
    Surgeon
    Andrea Schwoerer
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

6 week post-op update: (really almost 7) - down 44 lbs and feel amazing. I've already cycled through the clothes I owned and didn't fit in, they are nearly too big now. Like most on here I'm sure, I had different sizes in the closet. I'm nearly to the point where smaller-running 2XL shirts are just too big. On last loop of my belt, so that will definitely be something I need to go get soon. Trying to resist shopping much as I've learned on here and beginning to see how quick you might blow right through a size..

So I'm to the point where I'm allowed to eat pretty much everything except bread, pasta, citrus. I've found that I eat about 1/2 cup or so of food and feel pretty satisfied. I'm eating mostly protein and cooked vegetables at this point, and I eat something every 2.5-3 hours or so. I've only had one real "dumping" type issue where food didn't agree with me - I tried a small caesar salad at a lunch meeting. Only ate half of it, maybe 8-10 bites total. It was too soon for that and I paid for it all afternoon. Gassy pain in belly so bad that I had to pull over a few times trying to go home and dry heave on side of road. Not pleasant, but it was really the only time it's been that bad. That was a few weeks ago and technically too early and I haven't tried salad again yet, LOL!

So at 6-7 weeks, my diet now is basically:
    Early morning - still start the day with a PP protein shake - usually the Cafe Latte one.
    mid morning - Oikos Triple-Zero greek yogurt
    Lunch - pre-prepared (leftover) protein - 1/2 boneless / skinless grilled chicken (heard these don't go down well for some, I've had no prob), 1/2 bacon cheeseburger, etc. If I'm on the road (which I often am) I have had to do drive through quite a bit. Chick-fil-A unbreaded nuggets are awesome, tossed in buffalo sauce. I've had to hit a dairy queen and get a burger and just eat it without bun. It went fine.
    Dinner - varies but it usually is around 1 cup total of mainly a protein of some sorts and a little bit of veg, green beans and broccoli have been most common. I've managed to avoid potatoes for the most part so far. We have a place near me called "Chicken Salad Chick" and they have a great buffalo chicken salad. I pick up a pint of that and it makes for a nice snack / meal, I usually eat it in small amounts regardless if it's a meal or a snack but it's satisfying.

I've started getting the psychological hunger back here and there, and while it's there, it's easy to fight off seeing such amazing results. Still have water nearby at all times and keeping hydrated all the time. My journey has been shockingly "easy". I know it's not for everyone, and I am very thankful that I have been so fortunate.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-14-2022 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

That's awful... not even a bad dream.