Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    12-21-2020 04:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Smile First time to post

Just getting started in my journey to surgery. Waiting to finish up my psych eval, nutrition and exercise. Not sure what to expect but waiting and willing to learn and receive the help. I have been struggling with my weight for over 20 years. Started in my 40's and never can seem to lose more than 25 and when I stop being hungry on a diet I go return to my regular eating habits with increased weight gain. Menopause has not helped me a bit. Now with medical problems I need something that will help me to be healthy and keep my goals on track as I enter my retirement years.
    I am over 60 and worry that most have done the surgery years earlier.
    Just wonder if there are any older sleevers that have chosen this path for a healthy and longer life and any advice or if they can share their experiences.
    I am curious about the hair loss I sometimes read, dumping syndrome and the so call "dreaded 3 week stall"
    If any of you have the patience to explain it would be much appreciated.
    K

2. The following 3 users said welcome Stormy62 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First time to post

Stormy, this forum has been quiet lately, but there are lots of people here who are over 60 when they had their surgery - lots of incredible success stories from them. I hope some will show up and share their stories with you. I was late thirties when I had mine 6 years ago, and let me tell you, some of these ladies in their 60's and 70's could and still can run circles around me. They're amazing, and you will be too.

Hair loss is real. It's a bummer, but totally worth it and it will grow back. I've always had thin, pitiful hair, so that wasn't something that was going to deter me. Dumping syndrome is more of a gastric bypass thing, but it can happen with sleeve patients too I believe. And the dreaded 3 week stall is very real for most people. You already know about it though, so you'll soldier right through knowing that it's just a stall and it will break. Feel free to ask anything that comes to mind, and I'm sure there will be someone who can help.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    02-07-2024 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I was a 65 year old man when I was sleeved. I wish I did it sooner. For me the surgery was easy. I lost fast and reached my goal weight in less than 5 months. I did notice hair loss between months 3 and 4 but by the 5th month I was back to normal. The Biotin and vitamins are key at this stage. The dumping syndrome is normally for bypass patients not sleeve. If you follow the diet progression from month to month and use your nutritionist suggestions you should have little problem.

I have a saying I use. 'Attack the sleeve". Walk, diet and consume all your required fluids. Challenge yourself to walk a little more every day. My first year I walked everyday. You can do this.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I did it 8 years ago at 56. Total life changer. You're never too old!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I was 50 when I had my sleeve. I still say it is the single, best thing that I have done in my life. There are so many positives to having this surgery and not many negatives. I didn't have hair loss, but that three week stall is real. It's not a bad thing, its just your body trying to catch up to the weight loss. You will be fine.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

We all felt overwhelmed and anxious at first but you'll thank yourself in the future for making one of the best decisions in your life.