11/10/2020
    Surgeon
    Wasef Abu-Jaish
    Last Activity
    11-02-2020 08:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Fear has Set in....Surgery in 7 days Rant....advice?

Well here I am, 7 days left until my surgery. I have waited and waited for this day. I signed up for the program at the end of January 2020. I was expecting to have it done by now. Covid came along and threw me off course. Yes, I didn't stick to the plan like I was supposed too. Had I done so I would have probably had it done by now, but maybe not, there was a delay at the hospital too. I finally lost the weight I was told to lose and did so by going mostly green. I had tried everything and the weight wasn't budging. Keto, low calorie and what not. Finally I looked up how to reduce inflammation in my knees and said to go alkaline, so I did. The weight came off, Finally. So now I have my date. November 10, 2020. I was so so happy when the receptionist called me with the date. She called around October 20th with that date. On October 23 they had me come in for my pre op appointment, to do an EKG and give me the pre op diet. The 28th I had a phone call with anesthesia. Wednesday November 4th I go and get a covid test. On the 23rd when they did my EKG they saw a little blurp, so they did it again. Said it was fine. The next day, I called to see if the cardiologist looked at it and they said he did and no further work up was needed. So relief. Then two days late anesthesia says it is normal sinus rhythm so I am good. So I start the preop liquid diet on Tuesday November 27th. All liquids, no caffeine, no sugar, no carbonated beverages. Today is the end of day 6. The first few days I was so excited, then it turned to fear. Will I wake up from the anesthesia? What if I have complications? What if this, what if that? Now I have looked up every complication in detail. I belong to a few groups on Facebook and one woman just died after 3 weeks. How rare is it that people die? Her friend that posted the post of course didn't give much information other than she bleed to death and her doctor prescribed her aspirin. So that was a couple of days ago and it really scared me and then I thought, you know I could die at any time of anything. I am going to be fine. So I guess that this was just a rant. If anyone has any input that will ease my fears please do share with me. I don't like this fear.

2. The following 3 users said welcome soulsource to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Today 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Fear has Set in....Surgery in 7 days Rant....advice?

Congratulations on a great decision. Everyone here had pre game second thoughts. For me the surgery and recovery was much easier than I expected. The best move I ever made. Follow the pre op diet and after surgery follow the nutrition guidelines to the letter. Research everything about the sleeve and really work at it. One of the best parts of sleeve surgery is a quick initial weight loss. I lost 40 in the first two months. Remember walking and fluid intake are important for this type of surgery. You will do just fine. Keep us posted. You have friends and support here.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Having fears is natural. You will do just fine. Just continue to follow the guidelines and you should have no problems. Keep us posted!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I have been on this site over 7 years and have only heard of one death, maybe 5 years ago. Some serious complications. But I would think 99.9% of the people do just fine. (No clue, just my guess). I lost all my weight and have kept it off. Living life as a regular sized person is priceless. Just bought new skis!!

Best of luck with your decision. Basically it's beyond your wildest dreams!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Totally normal to feel nervous.
    I had never had any kind of surgery before I was sleeved so really had no idea what to expect.
    Surgery was very straight forward, recovery went to plan, and 3 years later it was the best decision that I have ever made for myself.
    Think of all the reasons that you want this surgery and remember them.
    As long as you follow your surgeons instructions and remember that the sleeve is a tool and that after the initial big weight loss there will be some work for you to do to maintain the loss you will be just fine.
    Please let us know how you get on.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

It' wouldn't be normal if you're not nervous at all.

You got this!