Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-21-2020 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Cautious after unsuccessful lapband experience

Hello to all, punctual and time challenged alike,

Met yesterday with doc who put in my lapband ten years ago. I only lost weight from lapband during the surgery and a few month after. I never experienced the decreased hunger that was promised. After initially losing 50 pounds, I put it all back on. I did work very hard to stay with the program. It didn't work for me.

Now, I am introduced to the newest (to me) latest and greatest weight loss tool - the sleeve. I holds all the promise and hope that the lapband did 10 years ago. But this does appear to be different, the science solid, risks low, and a lot of people reporting real weight loss.

About me: male, 66 years of age, 275, 42 bmi, pre-diabetic, lots of back and knee pain, a retina issue possibly related to obesity, and sluggish as hell. I'm ready to make a big change. I need to get down to 200 pounds for my health; 180 pounds would be ideal.

Past weight loss activity: years in WW, HHG diet (lost 60), Atkins several times (learned to hate bacon after only 3 days), Calorie counting and exercise (my go-to), the Martian diet (okay, I made that up), and some others I'm forgetting. I've lost 50 pounds or more five times in my life, only to put it all back on each time, usually with some extra pounds for good measure. The real reason I'm here is that I simply can't hold on to weight loss successes. I understand all of the science why our bodies fight our weight loss (why won't it fight our weight gain???).

I've started the monthly appointments with the weight loss clinic and the 6 month 'weighting' period (pun intended), while still 'weighing' my decision. Fortunately I work for a county government in our courthouse and have great insurance. First step will be to remove my lapband in about 2 months.

I look forward to learning from all of you, your experiences good and bad. And to those of you who are late in getting around to welcome me, well, the Late Police have been known to issue warnings rather than citations the first time around.....

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cautious after unsuccessful lapband experience

First of all, welcome to the forum.
    You will find many of us "old timers" around here. Any specific questions you have, feel free to add. With any weight loss tool, it is simply that, a tool. The sleeve is a wonderful tool, but you must still have to eat healthy, you still need to exercise, but the tool will give you a great beginning. The most important thing is to have your head mentally in the game. Good Luck to you!

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Welcome! Sorry the Lapland was not a success, but that seems to be common. My surgeon doesn't even do that surgery anymore due to the problems he's seen with it.

I think you'll be thrilled with the sleeve. I had surgery 7 years ago and have been a regular sized person for more than 6. Total life changer.

Just understand you will have to change your lifestyle. You will have to follow the sleeve "rules." Many think they can go back to eating crap and regain all they lost. Then there are many here who lost the weight and kept it off. Your choice!

Good luck!

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! This is the best way to learn how to use the tool of VGS! It works, when gou work it!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!