Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Cool Hello to the world....where is everyone?

Just checking in; we've been busy trying to figure out the best plan for mum; she turned 99 in May, and is in good health but had to stop driving (boy is she mad) and her mobility is not good. All 3 kids were doing round-robin to stay with her in upstate NY, but none of us live there (CT, MA, NC). Then we in NC got put on the must quarantine 2 weeks if we go back, so that left 2 juggling things.

It is unfortunately not sustainable. SO we are off to plan C, which means moving her out of the house (she's also not totally excited about that) and moving to CT to a wonderful senior community that seems to have the right balance of social and social-distance. The CT sister lives literally 10 min walk away, and a lovely 2 bedroom with kitchen & bathroom is available. So praying for grace all around. CT sister knows all the staff and they know her, since she was primary for Fr. Ed when he was there.

To say mum has a lot of clothes and shoes is to minimize the word "lots". We can totally seeing her turn 100 in May surrounded by her new "old" friends. She's quite charming and very social. So after the realization that she cannot drive sets in, and that there is really no where to go much right now, we hope it will be easier for her.

AND I am having trouble with weight gain. I discovered (re-discovered) sourdough starter baking and now I have to re-learn not eating it, just tasting.

Aagh. Also have had a fairly severe back issue that is limiting mobility the past 3 weeks. I suspect the two things and being bored has something to do with it.

BUT 6 lbs is too many, so back to vigilance.

HOW ARE THE REST OF YOU? Sharon, you I know and Kristi, as well. And Lisa & Katrina.

Hugs (virtual)
    Annie
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello to the world....where is everyone?

Hi Annie,
    Glad to know that you are well! I'm dealing with a couple of extra pounds myself, but my gym re-opening has helped a lot. Everything is different going to the gym now, we've gone from 130 classes, down to 20. We must sign up for our class 48 hours in advance, while the weather is nice, our classes are outside, bad weather, the class limit is 15. Different times.

We are still trying to find a good placement for my aunt who is still recovering from Covid. We just found a great facility that will continue her therapy with the goal of her returning home with maybe some help for a few hours a day. On a side note, the healthcare in the US leaves a lot to be desired!

I am back at school. Our school opted for a virtual/hybrid model. Of course everyone is still concerned about the Corona virus. Just because it is not being reported as much as it was before, does not mean that the virus is gone. Districts in NJ have had to close for weeks when students and teachers have become infected. Stay safe and wear your mask.

Annie, you have to tools to fight that sourdough, you can do it!

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Too bad we can't recover together! 3 week shoulder surgery anniversary today. Seeing very slow improvement which isn't good for an impatient patient! Also afraid to stand on the scale as about all I do is sit around or nap. One walk a day.

Anyone worried about sleeve surgery, I can tell you it's about 100% easier than shoulder surgery! I was back to work in 2 weeks no problem. Today I couldn't dream of going to work. Enough whining, I will be better!!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there, everyone! I managed to avoid the quarantine 15, but the Sally 6 has hit. We took a direct hit from Hurricane Sally 8 days ago. My house is still without power. My house fared very well, and I am immeasurably grateful for that because all around me is devastation. I have been eating a lot of gas station snacks, but I really don't feel like I've eaten enough for six damn pounds in a week especially since I've eaten a lot of fresh veggies from the grill. I'm super grumpy about that. 121 today. I haven't weighed this much in years! And my mom is in her kitchen baking me Amish apple fritter bread right now.

We are in the process of turning our garage into a 1 bedroom handicap accessible apartment for Meg, so we're finally going to get to go home after 4.5 years dividing time between Meg's apartment and weekends at home. I'm excited and nervous. I've had "help" on the weekends with her dad coming to stay with her, but once we're back home I'll be on 24/7 with her care. No more weekend trips away with my husband, and that kind of sucks. Still, I am so blessed that she is alive and it is an honor that I get to care for her.

I hope all of you are well!
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

SO good to hear from each of you, even if it's not all good!
    Kenson, my middle daughter is a teacher - they have the stupidest school board in America (that's saying something); on the up side, she's healthy, wears a mask and her students love her. But still worry.

Sharon, should surgery IS difficult; the few friends that have had it agree it was a long & interesting recovery; on the good side, you are way younger and more fit than they were, and knowing your determination, there may be skiing in your life...this year.

Katrina, so sorry about the hurricane but grateful you are okay and great news about your daughter. I am so over 2020 as are most people. But we keep on because that's what we do!

You are each always in my prayers! And up another 2 pounds but had med change last week, so 8 lbs in one week may be related. (Only 1/2 piece of slice of sourdough fyi)

Kenson, prayers for you to find the right placement. Mum seems resigned to her destiny, but once things are moving along I think it will be okay.

Hugs
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon,
    I know that you hate being still, but glad your shoulder surgery went well. Prayers for healthy healing!
    Katrina,
    Glad to know that Meg is still fighting. Glad that you will be able to bring her home. Apple fritter bread sounds dangerous and delicious!!!!

So glad that after all these years that we all can still come here and connect. It really means a lot that I can come here and know that my tribe is still around!!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Annie

Your Mum sounds amazing. I hope that I am like her if I'm lucky enough to get to 99!
    It's hard when family are not close geographically as you want to do your best but sometimes it just isn't possible to be there on the spot.

As you know I have been travelling around our lovely South Island - we can't travel outside the country at the moment. It was really nice to be able to revisit a few places and explore them in more detail.
    We did lots and lots of walking. 2-3 hour hikes each day and saw some stunning sights. I've tried to post some photos to share the views but they must be too large and I can't figure out how to make them smaller (any hints gratefully accepted).

I have only made the odd loaf of bread with a bread maker. I've never tried sour dough. I probably shouldn't give it a go as I like bread and would want to eat it as soon as it came out of the oven. Mmmm who can resist the smell of freshly baked bread?!
    My Covid catering has been to make cookies. Luckily I have a hungry family who are only too willing to take (most) of them off my hands :-) Some stay here and we allow ourselves one each afternoon with a cup of tea. A little bit of cheer in what can otherwise be a bit of a dull time. I have increased slightly in weight but only about a kilo and I'm still within my self imposed weight range so I'm not too worried. If it crept any higher I would have to address it. I think the amount of walking has helped.

We are coming into Summer so the days are longer and the temperatures are slightly warmer which makes it a lot easier to get out and about after work.

There is a lot going on in the world, and in everyone's own world. I hope that you all continue to keep safe. 2020 is certainly a year to forget, but one I think we will all remember for a very long time.

Kia Kaha.

Lisa
    x

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Evreyone is hiding so they wont get affected with covid ahah

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Everyone does seem to be hiding. Then we have pages full of trolls responding to posts up to 8 years old. Weird. I added them to my "ignore" list but they keep showing up.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

"we have pages full of trolls responding to posts up to 8 years old"
    They are very boring aren't they? - who could be bothered?!

18. Said thanks: