I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Gary
    Last Activity
    07-28-2022 01:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Vision - 5km races, Triathlons. Anyone?

Hello,

Has anyone with VSG or other procedure, been able begin run 5km road races and, or work up to Triathlons?

How able get enough calories for training?

This is one of my long term goals.

Would love to hear your stories!!

Thank you,
    Gary

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Vision - 5km races, Triathlons. Anyone?

Hubby and I summitted Kilimanjaro a year ago this week. Does that count? Plus we just moved to CO (Friday) so we could climb mountains in the summer and ski down them in the winter. Of course now I need more calories, but I can eat more than early on. I just have to eat smart. I weigh myself daily because regain would be easy. We're retired; if you're young the sky is the limit! I was a runner after surgery but had to quit because my knees weren't happy.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Gary
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Awesome Sraebaer!

Definitely *any* tall mountain counts!!

Congrats on ascending Mt. Kilimanjaro.

That is inspiring!!!

Did you run after sleeve?

What happened to knees?

I realize I'm early on in healing. At 4.5 weeks.

When does stomach loosen to hold slightly more volume for a future and aspiring Athlete?

Right now I have the "full sick" type feeling after 12 oz shake.

I hoping with continue following plan, 4.5 week old stomach will slightly "stretches" to accommodate 1500-1800 cals a day.

I'm at 700-900 and tough "sick full" feeling for past 1 week.

Getting 80-90g protien a day. On track!

Fantastic you moved to Colorado!

Your athletic activities and hobbies are very inspiring to those that want a healthy and much more *active* lifestyle. Nice!

Before my sleeve, I could barely jog 10 steps or risk tearing my ankle and foot metatarsal tendons.

Happened alot. Multiple weight related set backs for decades. I could barely get out of chairs or sofas.

X-rays, boots, laid up limping for years cumulatively, when re-trying do any light sport. It was discouraging.

I am very small bone frame. I mean really small and can't hold alot of weight. I need to be "light" for my small bones and height.

Was runner about 30-40 yrs ago. 5km 10k races.

Just totally lost it all last 40 yrs, eating all time, desk jobs for 40 yrs, and host ankle foot injuries from weight.

Now I can walk 1-3 miles on grass!

Feeling sort of nimble. Great feeling! Some energy.

Only concern is "sick full" tummy, at even 700-900 cals.

How long on avg take to adapt, or when stomach relaxes during healing process?

Keep up great efforts and helping us with your positive energy!!

It's *great*.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You can do it! That sick feeling won't last for long at all. I wish I remembered when it stopped, maybe about 6 weeks?

My knees are just arthritic. I used to run 3 miles every day before work. Loved it.

Today we did over 3,000 vertical feet elevation climbing Mt. Parkview in CO. Over 6 hours. I may not be able to walk tomorrow!! I do much better going up than down.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Gary
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Sraebaer.

It's great you are here to guide many, especially us newbies!!

*** Question for all ***

A couple things I learned at 5.5 weeks healing.

1. Allowed to eat well-chewed food. I can tolerate most anything. Holding back red meats. My stomach was always durable. No food issues. Just heartburn. Does go away once stomach stretches?

2. I can eat 1 cup, 1/8 eggs, spinach, peas carrots with half teaspoon olive oil and teaspoon olive oil butter at 5.5 weeks. Felt "sick full". But it went away in 1 hr. And need new stomach to adapt and accommodate 5km running raves and triathlons within 8-12 months. Want stomach to learn to expand and create more stomach folds as healing and growing. Is this ok? Stomach is a muscle. It can be adapted like muscles adapts to exercise.

3. Feeling dehydrated at 4am.

4. Avg 100g protien. 40-80 carbs for walks. Take multivitamins and iron blood pill 1/2 a day. Ground up and sprinkle on food.

5. Have a medium burning pain after acid burns. Burning located just left of sternum. Like where top sleeve was cut. Anyone know why? Will it heal? How to know if a dangerous leak?

6. Sprinkle Dr. Axe collagen protien on most meals and mix w coffee. 9gm protien per tablespoon. No taste. Good for skin, nails, hair.

7. Discovered 5.5 week old stomach tough tightness between meals (which is very uncomfortable tightness) is probably a small carb craving *and* stomach only 5.5 weeks old. I went to running shop. They have 100 cal 20 gm carb gels with Protiens. Took one and my stomach totally relaxed!!! And had 1-2 hrs physical energy. No caffeine. Amazing results and recommend for energy. Carb gels.

8. I'm avg 300 cals per meal. 100-200 2 snacks a day. That's 1,200 a day. I need 2,000 to 3,000 a day for 5km race. Will my stomach stretch in 8-12 Months to enable 2,000-3,000 a day? What foods are good at increasing new stomach volume for my special need?

Thank you to all for advice for newbie!!

Gary

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sounds like you're doing great, but I'd talk to your doctor about the burning pain. Sounds like acid reflux which they have meds for. But I'm no doctor!

I don't know if your stomach stretches (my doctor says it can't, but I'm not sure I believe that) or just heals, but you can eat more over time. I still feel "restriction" so can't overeat. You'll be fine. Don't "try" to stretch out your stomach, always stop eating when you start to feel full. I never even counted calories, just followed the rule of protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Agree with "just count protein, high quality carbs and water". I wouldn't deliberately "stretch" my stomach -- it will regulate itself.

Yes, at 3 years I can eat a bit more - but with that said, I still do protein, dense carbs first and then other things way more limited.

Eating more slowly (or perhaps more frequently than x 3) might help if you truly needs the calories for endurance. But PLEASE meet either with someone in bariatric nutrition, an RD, or a sports md who works with endurance sports.

My personal experience has been with horses who do endurance races - generally conditioning is the most important with a high quality diet -- and in the case of horses, if you overfeed, they colic and can die. So "loading" sound pretty counter intuitive to training and health.

Just my two cents
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/26/2019
    Surgeon
    Patrick Smith
    Last Activity
    08-18-2020 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Oh no,dude, i'm too lazy...