I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rhonda
    Last Activity
    04-27-2021 04:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Getting Sleeved BMI 30.2 - Was Bigger But Done with Phentermine and Diet Ups and Downs

Hi Everyone,

Getting sleeved 8/13/20 and not telling anyone but my hubby and mom because I don't want to be negatively judged. Hubby does not think I need it but he sees me struggle. My mom has even told me that she feels bad for me because I am always dieting and working out and can never make a lot of progress. Anyone else start with a low BMI? I would love to talk to others in a similar boat to get support.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/15/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gmora
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Default Re: Getting Sleeved BMI 30.2 - Was Bigger But Done with Phentermine and Diet Ups and Downs

Hi Rhonda,

I had a BMI of 31 when I was sleeved on 07-15-2020. So I am just over 2 weeks post op now. Do you have any specific questions? I know my biggest struggle was the emotional roller-coaster. I definitely did not expect that aspect as I normally would consider myself to be a strong person haha.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Rhonda
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Default Re: Getting Sleeved BMI 30.2 - Was Bigger But Done with Phentermine and Diet Ups and Downs

What are some of things attributing to the emotional roller coaster?!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/15/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gmora
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

The first few days were really tough. Even trying to get down water, I was feeling the full burping sensation. I was worried that wasn't going to go away. I was also worried that I made the wrong decision. With a low BMI, its hard to justify going through the surgery. Every step was hard but it was necessary. I had not anticipated how much that would affect my mental state.

That all being said, I am feeling a lot better now. I no longer have issues drinking any liquids. I can easily get down pudding and soups. I know all doctors are different, but I have moved onto the pureed stage now. I've hit those same road blocks that I originally had where you get the burping sensation, but as long as I eat slowly it seems to be getting better every day. So the main piece of advice I would give would be to just be as patient as possible. All of these changes are temporary and everyday you will begin to feel more and more back to normal.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Rhonda
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Wow, this feedback is so helpful. Did you take Gas-X to help? I am sure I will go through this mentally because I actually don't have a high pain tolerance.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/15/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gmora
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Glad I can help! I didn't take any Gas-x. I've had several laparoscopic surgeries before so I had an idea of the gas pain walking into it. To get rid of the gas, its super important to just keep moving. Walk as much as you can as soon as possible. This will also help with the constipation. That being said, the pain isn't bad, its more of a soreness/tenderness. It's more uncomfortable than anything.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Rhonda
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Do you think the elliptical is safe to use as it's low impact?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/15/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gmora
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I would recommend asking your doctor. For me personally, I don't think I would be able to use the elliptical right now just because of the up and down motion. I feel like walking is more stationary and easier for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Gary
    Last Activity
    07-28-2022 01:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I was relatively low BMI.

You will be great once healed.

I'm 4.5 weeks out.

The key is heal properly.

Based on my Doctor, 3 months for optimal seal.

1 month is pretty sturdy.

Next is remember as you get more athletic, your body and stomach will adapt to your efforts. So start your goals.

The stomach is a muscle.

It will adjust to relative size you want over long period of time. To support your lifestyle.

All body muscles can expand and contract. The same and even more with amazing stomach muscle.

In fact, the stomach muscles is one of the toughest and most durable tissue in body.

What do we do with muscles?

We work them out.

So when you are fully healed in 3 months, my view is go for it.

If you are active athlete or that is your vision, you can train your stomach to handle all athletic activities and hold, process all the food you need for comprehensive work out and optimal nutrition.

I met some here that ran marathons.

That's 26 miles.

It's a muscle. Stretchable. Pliable. Adaptable. Extremely tough.

Just be sure to heal properly and follow Doctor.

Then you can mold the stomach to what your body needs over many months. It takes time.

Walk alot. Yoga when healed. Warm liquids when healed. Work muscle out when fully healed.

The main purpose is you'll treat new stomach as a tool to reach your goals, slightly similar how we need to work out our quadraceps, gluts, biceps, and cardio heart muscles.

Keep it in shape with healthy food, rest, expansion and contraction (when fully healed), and yoga.

Like all body muscles, there is a mildly painful growing and adjustment period to get to next level.

IMO, it can take 6-18 months for low BMIers to reach a few of general goals.

You have advantage of being very active when fully healed.

Just remember the stomach is the toughest muscle tissue in our body. You can activate it when fully healed.

It will respond and grow as needed for your new beautiful lifestyle.

And you will get there faster following Doctor plan and as low BMIer. So stay focused. Stay humble.

It's an amazing opportunity to reach many goals.

12. Said thanks: