Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-27-2020 09:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default concerned

Did anyone have surgery with Dr mario Almanza at the Baja hospital? I need some help answering some Qs.

1. How was the border crossing
    2. Does The Baja hospital assign separate room before and after the procedure?, I'm asking due to the Covid-19
    3. Does the hospital provide toiletries like lotion, body wash...etc or do I need to bring my own?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member JennLynnKiri's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/06/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-03-2020 06:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: concerned

Crossing the border was easy! No issues whatsoever going either way. I would bring your own toiletries and regular meds. For example I brought my thyroid med and my husband brought his blood pressure med. A lot of meds from Mexico are different than what we get in the states. Not that they’re better or worse, just different. I’m not sure they have most of the meds people would regularly take, except most likely only as emergency administration. Even then it didn’t seem like their pharmacy was that big... it was basically a 4x8’ area behind glass with a door next to the nurses station. I’m sure they have soap and toothpaste etc but again it is not what you’re used to. Pack only essentials but definitely bring a sweatshirt and sweatpants and socks/slippers. You will be very cold the first 24-48 hours after surgery. My husband and I know personally 7 other people who have had the gastric sleeve procedure with dr Almanza and all said mostly the same things. One thing they all said was they were very cold... has to do with the anesthesia wearing off and the surgical injury your body is trying to convert all of its energy into healing and takes attention away from heating of the limbs. Most of the rooms are private. Some are doubles like the one my husband and I stayed in but most are private. You will be fine, pack some broth packets to mix with hot water so you can have something with flavor in the middle of the night if you do t want jello or a popsicle. My husband and I felt the warm liquids were easier to drink at first anyway. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member lmsoutlaw68's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/05/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-16-2020 12:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: concerned

Dear Concerned:
    I just had my surgery on 80/50/2020. Crossing the border into Mexico was very easy and our Driver, Diana was amazing! She also speaks perfect English. On the way out from Mexico, the border crossing took right around 2 hours. There is plenty of entertainment along the way, if you just pay attention. Plenty of Street Vendors and Entertainers out.

You should bring your own toiletries. Some are provided for you but trust me, you will PREFER your own. As mentioned, you should also bring ALL your medications that you will need.

The rooms are mostly private. My Roomie and I bonded from the moment we were picked up from the airport. I found it easier having a Roomie. My husband had to stay at the hotel although he was allowed to visit. ALL GUESTS MUST WEAR A MASK..AS DO YOU AROUND THE FACILITY! They take the COVID 19 stuff very seriously and they protect you at all costs.

Everything else that I needed..ice chips, broth, popsicles, juice...nausea and pain medication...EVERTHING is provided!

Best of Luck!!