I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    08-03-2020 07:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Need help to decide

Hi

I am considering sleeve gastrectomy but very unsure whether I should.

I am 43 years old male and have type 2 diabetes for around 8 years. I am 166 cm and 89 kg (BMI = 32). I have always had very good HbA1c (below 6) but have high blood pressure (not too bad), high cholesterol (not too bad), Fatty liver (severe), high uric acid (not too bad).

Perhaps most importantly, I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) which requires me to take high dose antidepressants (Seroxat 75mg). Apparently, Seroxat and most antidepressants work against you when you try to lose weight. I do a lot of emotional eating. I am also very good at finding excuse not to exercise.

I have seen quite a few doctors. The surgeons seems to think it is almost a no brainer to have the surgery while one of the endocrinologist thinks I should try other methods to lose weight first. Having said that, They all agree there is no immediate need for me to do the surgery (primarily due to my good HbA1c numbers).

My thought process - I am not optimistic at all with the possibility of losing sufficient weight on a long term basis through diet alone, especially given my OCD/Seroxat and my very stressful job (my profession has one of the highest divorce and suicide rates....). I want to live long enough to provide for my very young kids (Especially financially) and to watch them grow. While I have very good HbA1C, I am not sure how long that will last and my other weight-related illness have been up and down (blood pressure, chloestrol, fatty liver and uric acid) - basically depending on how much time I have for exercise and how discipline I am in terms of food intake over a given period. On this basis, it seems to be a no brainer.

On the other hand, I am worried about the psychological implication (especially making my OCD worse) and about making such a major change at this point in my life. I am a corporate lawyer and have to meet up with clients for coffees/lunches all the time - it is almost part of the job requirements.

I am a bit lost. Would be most grateful for thoughts and advice.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Need help to decide

I also think it's a no brainer. You would be saving you life! Try to imagine being a healthy, regular size person. It's priceless. Surgery makes it easy to lose the weight as you literally can not eat much. All I can say is I wish I had done it sooner! Good luck with your decision.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help to decide

Firstly, your head has to be in the game or nothing will work. You do have some pretty significant health challenges that the sleeve would certainly lessen if not eliminate. Only you can decide if this is the best thing for you. If you go through insurance, I know that there is a psych eval that you have to do. My psych asked a lot of questions to gauge my readiness and willingness and understanding of the road that I was about to undertake. Regarding your job, you will be fine eating and/or going for coffee with clients. As Sharon said, you will not be able to eat nor drink the amounts that you do now, so that will not be a problem. Good Luck in whatever you decide.