Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Weight gain, almost 3 years out and alcohol

Hello! Have been doing well with my sleeve - surgery was in Mexico in Oct 2017. I lost 90 lbs to goal (180 lbs) in 7 months. I was never much of a drinker, just maybe once per month. I maintained at 180 lbs with what seemed forever. Fast forward - starting in December I started to have a few drinks at night. Vodka, and low calorie juice (10 calories per drink on the juice, and then the vodka calories). Now it's at a point that I have 2 drinks pretty well every night, and I can't shake that habit, or at least I feel like I don't want to. It has become a way of relaxing for me. So not sure what direction that is bringing me.

Also, I have now; since January slowly been putting on weight. It started with inches increasing. I went from 37 to 39 inches on my waist. Now I am 7 lbs over goal weight. I think it's a correlation between the alcohol and the weight gain but for me to really do something about it I feel like I need to understand the mechanism behind it. Does alcohol automatically cause you to gain?

My calories per day - I was in maintenance at about 1800 calories per day. I didn't limit carbs, just ate everything in moderation. It would seem per my fitness pal the way to lose weight would be to go to 1200 calories a day. If I was successful at dieting before I would have never needed the sleeve surgery. So I am very much struggling with that and have tried to remove these extra 7 lbs but I fail nearly everyday, I go over 1200 calories and I have my two drinks at night. Did this happen to anyone else?

I need experiences where you overcame this situation and what did it for you to change it around? Thank You, gaining 7 lbs, I may as well have gained all of the 90 lbs back, I feel like that much of a failure. But I do want to turn it around, just not sure I want to give up the drink and reduce the calories to get there. If it helps, I am divorced so live alone, (my kids are with my 50% of the time but need me less; 17 and 16 years old). So having a few drinks at night is my only social life (even though it's not social) but I also have very little in real life support, mostly on my own; which I am ok with, but other than my mom and my uncle who stays with me; that's about it for support.

Thanks if you read all this, and please comment if you have any thoughts! good or bad!! We are all the same, one way or the other and I'm looking for words of wisdom, a kick in the *ss or anything to help me overcome my current situation that I find myself in. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Took me awhile to decide to post this thread (it's very real to me) but hoping to get some wisdom from others to overcome!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Weight gain, almost 3 years out and alcohol

Transfer addiction is a real thing, there's even a Facebook group for transfer addiction after weight loss surgery. I realized I was drinking too much every night, and quit cold turkey for about a year. Now I've made it a rule that in a social occasion I can have ONE drink. Like last night when we had a couple over for pizza on the deck. But on a regular night with just hubby and I home, no. It's like food, I can't handle it.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

It's easy to get into a habit that isn't so good for us...and really difficult to stop.
    I don't have any great advice unfortunately but I do sympathise with you.

I didn't drink much before surgery and don't drink alcohol at all now. I don't miss it but it was never a big part of my life anyway...well only when I was much younger ;-).

There are certainly empty calories in alcohol and whatever mixers you might have.

Perhaps a counsellor might be an option? Maybe a group that you could join? Although at the moment that might be a little difficult.
    Maybe get you surgery information out and go back to square one for a while to see if you can reset your good habits.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with something to add.

Hang in there. We are all here for you.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I understand not wanting to give up something that you enjoy, however, the mere fact that you've come to the forum let's me know that those two drinks are becoming problematic for you. Maybe set up some parameters regarding when and how many drinks you can have. Alcohol does have empty calories and are sure to be contributing to your (modest) weight gain. Hang in there.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times

Thanks for all of your responses! I feel like I just had to admit my problem to another human being, to make it public so that I could address the issue seriously. I was never much into alcohol so maybe there is some truth to this transfer addiction and it can creep up on you fast. I am actually in counseling, (for like the last 25 years - same counselor) but I only see him every three months, and 3 months ago I did not feel like it was an issue. Maybe I will talk it out with him the next time I chat to see where I'm going with this. I do not like the 7 lbs of gain, but I'm glad someone who responded said it's a modest gain; puts it into perspective for me. I just don't want it to be 20 lbs etc. or have me fitting into my clothes an issue. So I am going to track, track and track and see if I can reverse this. I'm also going to give up the daily alcohol and maybe still just have a few drinks on a Friday and Saturday night. Thanks for listening and commenting if you did, it was just what I needed. Good luck to everyone!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times

So 2 days tracking, and 2 days no alcohol and already down 2.4 lbs!! Well on my way to my goal weight again!! Thanks for the input Ya'll!!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Well done you!
    Keep up the good work. You'll be back where you want to be in no time at all :-)

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI Kim, well done on your loss. I have gained 2kg since the start of covid and am now needing to get back on track and reading what you have done has inspired me to track what I eat as well. My downfall has been snacking and eating junk food, which I hadn't touched in 2 years until we had to stay at home. Keep up the good work.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Kim, its easy to let anything creep up on you in your life, and transfer addiction is spot on.
    I had my surgery the same time you did; I hit way too low early on, and have gotten back to a healthy, normal weight for me. Alcohol was not an issue before, and I don't drink at all now. If I'm going to have extra calories for any reason, i choose them pretty deliberately for maximum enjoyment.

I had a drink NYE with friends at Ruth Chris. Well it took me all evening, and half was still in my glass. It just wasn't that big a deal.

How awesome you are already back on track. Why this is the best support group ever! (except for F.O.R.C.E., which I've been in 20 years)
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimsterama View Post
    So 2 days tracking, and 2 days no alcohol and already down 2.4 lbs!! Well on my way to my goal weight again!! Thanks for the input Ya'll!!
    Yay!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member PeterNashRw8's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 05:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Alcohol is evil, do not make friends with it or with the one who are best already best friends with it