DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default keeping in touch

HI All, I hope everyone is well and staying safe during this trying time. I have had ups and downs, as I am sure many of you have had. The weather here in the UK has been fantastic and that has helped allot. For the first time in ages I haven't been cold, due to the temperatures reaching 30 deg. I am a summer hot weather person as I originate from Africa. I have unfortunately put on 2kg and am not happy with it and myself. I have to admit I have been very bad and have been eating some junk food. I am now back on track and have started with my Personal Trainer this week ( outside in a park), although I have been running whilst we have been in lock down and doing lots of long walks. I have days where I have very little appetite and days where I can eat loads. I think my hormones, or lack thereof are playing havoc with my eating. I am definitely in the peri menopause stage and the hot flushes aren't great. I get very little decent sleep as I get the worst flushes during the night. I am optimistic that I will lose the 2kg soon. I have my daughters wedding in the new year ( we hope it will go ahead)and I can't afford to gain any weight as I wont fit into my dress. Stay safe and keep in touch. xx

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: keeping in touch

Ellie, peri menopause was like reverse adolescents! It is a process for certain. I found eliminating caffeine ended the flushing.

My weight during "safe at home" has gone up and down a couple of pounds, but obviously the same calories in one day with proteins & vegetables, versus 3 brownies for the next day and no protein may be the culprit, lol.

Staying as safe as we can where cases have increased to 1700+ a day, and people are unwilling to follow the mask mandate. I am doing contactless (well virtually) pick up of groceries & prescription, virtual doctor appointments (which have been excellent).

We are currently taking turns caring for our 99 year old mum, who is health except told she can no longer drive. She is NOT happy about the not driving, but she's in NY and there is really no where to go right now. Probably helps keeping her safe.

Husband, dogs, 4 grown kids & grands all doing well in these interesting times.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Ellie, peri menopause was like reverse adolescents! It is a process for certain. I found eliminating caffeine ended the flushing.

My weight during "safe at home" has gone up and down a couple of pounds, but obviously the same calories in one day with proteins & vegetables, versus 3 brownies for the next day and no protein may be the culprit, lol.

Staying as safe as we can where cases have increased to 1700+ a day, and people are unwilling to follow the mask mandate. I am doing contactless (well virtually) pick up of groceries & prescription, virtual doctor appointments (which have been excellent).

We are currently taking turns caring for our 99 year old mum, who is health except told she can no longer drive. She is NOT happy about the not driving, but she's in NY and there is really no where to go right now. Probably helps keeping her safe.

Husband, dogs, 4 grown kids & grands all doing well in these interesting times.
    HI Annie, good to hear you and the family are all well. Thanks for the advice re the caffeine, but I don't drink coffee, never have. I think maybe once I get back on the straight and narrow and have absolutely no sugar it might help. In the meantime I just have to go with it, unless I start on HRT, which I am not keen to do.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Ellie
    These sure are trying times.

I feel so fortunate to be living in NZ right now. Sometimes being a tiny island at the bottom of the world has its advantages.

We totally eliminated the virus and were free for approx. 30 days but then we now have plane loads of Kiwis returning from other countries and we are now back with some active cases - not many - still under 20 I think. All returnees are required to isolate in managed facilities (hotels) for 14 days paid for by our government. If someone tests positive they are then transferred to a quarantine facility (another hotel). All in all I feel fairly secure being out and about in the community. I do still sanitise way more then I ever did prior. I am also working from home 2 days a week which is very helpful. I got quite used to working from home as we were required to do it for nearly 4 months. It can get a little lonely so am happy to go into the office for 3 days a week.

It is very easy to put on a bit of weight - probably we have all done so recently. The main thing is to catch it before it gets out of control and get back into as much "normality" as you can given the circumstances. As Annie mentioned the calorie content may be the same but the actual food eaten can change things rather quickly. Too many biscuits (cookies) make a real difference I have found ;-)

Lucky you going into Summer. We are in Winter here and although it hasn't been too bad I'm not good with the cold. My partner and I still preserve with our daily walks even if we have to wear our raincoats. After all it's only water.....and in Auckland we have a bit of a water shortage at the moment so any rainfall is actually a good thing.

I found a product called "Remifemen" very helpful when I was going through peri menopause. I could just buy it over the counter at the pharmacy. Maybe have a look and see if there are similar products that you could try. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep for hours. It didn't make for a very happy day the next day.

Fingers crossed that your daughters wedding will be able to proceed next year. I bet you will look gorgeous in your new dress.