Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default LIFE CHANGE - Caring for Mum

First, we are grateful for all our kids and grands, and the two of us being healthy so far. I've sewn 350 masks, given away 320. I think for older folks in dense population areas, probably be wearing them through flu season in the fall. Saving lots on lipstick, lol.

My lovely MIL will be 100 next year - her health is good, but a few things have changed in her independent living situation (she's still in a 3 story house). She manages the stairs (with slow grace), but her doc has said no more driving. She is accepting it, slowly, but its a big change. Her usual life includes Mass every morning, gym x 3 a week, golf and hair appointments, lunch with friends. With the social distancing, she's gotten used to doing less.

Jim's lovely sisters have been tag-teaming during COVID so Mum's exposure is limited. And her social life. She's always been quite active and out and about person, even up until 6 months ago.

So, we are getting ready to temporarily close up our home here in NC, at least until the end of March next year. We are the family members with the least things tying up at home, and so upstate NY here we come!

We are phasing ourselves in up there as we close things down here. I have to say in some ways COVID has made it harder and easier. Easier, because except for our Daily Bread ministry social obligations have almost ceased. We were fortunate a wonderful, reliable person has recently retired and is stepping up to ensure that 363 days a year the donations get to the Soup Kitchen, FeedNC, and the children's home. It's been a special time for us to do this the last 8 years, and sort of hard to let it go.

We have to do some maintenance things here, which means a small separation for us (first in 20+ years); our grown girls seem to have decided I am in need of watching, so they are going to be back and forth with me while he's up there this first trip. (Also extracted a promise I will not get on the ladder and paint....)

Once that piece is done, the dogs and I relocate to upstate NY. Mum has a timid cat, but our little dogs love cats. Jim has to do some calculation to have a separate area in the house, where we still have a dog space and some time to ourselves. It's a big house. I'm sure Mum's more anxious than the cat will be.

I have NOT done winter in 25 years other than a snow day or brief storm in NC. Can't wait to see how that works!

Seriously, I am feeling blessed we can do this. She's a wonderful woman, raised the most amazing man who's not just my husband but my BFF.

Would appreciate prayers for traveling mercies, and a happy adjustment.

Sharon -- I know you've "been there done that". Any great tips, PM me?

I will try to check in.

My weight is stable, so hooray. Still tracking food and weighing daily. It will be 3 years in October and it's been wonderful so far!

Hugs Annie
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: LIFE CHANGE - Caring for Mum

Annie,
    Transition seems to be the name of the game of 2020. Sending you, hubby and the dog traveling mercies. I know that you will do well and I know that Mum will appreciate you all being there. Winters in upstate NY is no joke. You'll need real arsenal!

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Wow, you will be busy. We have moved maybe 14 times, but it was all done by my husband's company. So we never had to do a thing. They packed, moved, unpacked, and we just had to put things away. Wish I was there to help!!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Wow, you will be busy. We have moved maybe 14 times, but it was all done by my husband's company. So we never had to do a thing. They packed, moved, unpacked, and we just had to put things away. Wish I was there to help!!
    Sharon - we're just "closing" the house. We've been in this one 18 years; before that I had lived in 20 different states while kids were growing up. I am not "wedded" to where we are, but 4 of 6 kids live in NC so we won't go too far when we do downsize.

I have a month to get things together to be up there indefinitely. Seems doable right now.

Kenson, Yeah, but I can get some new boots! I still have my coat from living up north, as well as ski coats. But walking in the snow at 68 with vertigo sounds a bit daunting. Then again, I may find I am secretly Sharon! <3
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Annie - you are an absolute star.
    Seriously you deserve a medal (at the very least) for everything that you do for others.
    You really are the best person that I know.
    Thank you for being you!
    xxx

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents