Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    07-16-2020 05:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Having surgery with toddler at home.

Hello - I’m very new to this topic - I’m considering having the sleeve done. My dad and sister have both done it and have done well. I am a homemaker and have a disabled husband. One major thing holding me back from making an appointment with a doctor to learn more is whether I will be able to handle coming home after surgery and somehow still holding down the house. I have a toddler and a 10 year old. My mom will be able to help me but I’d like to know how long the recovery is, how cranky will I be, how likely I will be to keep up with the toddler ... basically I need to know everything! I’m 40 years old, 4’10” and I’m pushing 190 lbs. I am prediabetic, but barely - I think I was one point over the cut off. I do have a comorbidity with my joints. I’d love any help and advice. Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Having surgery with toddler at home.

I had surgery on a Thursday and returned to work the following Monday. I just sat in my office and didn’t really walk around the building as much. I walked very slow and had to take my time standing up and sitting down for at least a week after surgery. Getting up from laying down took more effort and I had to move slower for about two weeks from that position. I wasn’t in terrible pain at all. I just didn’t want to overdo it or stretch wrong. It was a tad sore. I know other people take longer to feel better. I needed the most help days 1-4 after surgery and only got up to use the restroom and to walk like the doctor told me to. After that I could cook and do light house work. If I needed to bend over to pick something off the floor I had to go really slow. If you are trying to line up your mom helping out, you probably would need her for a week. You aren’t supposed to lift over a certain weight for awhile either. Maybe 6 weeks. I can’t remember. So that could be an issue with your toddler.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    07-16-2020 05:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I’m wondering if it’s like having a cesarean? I’ve had 2 of those and did really well with the last one. I’m not sure how I would do with it being able to lift my toddler for that many weeks. That will be hard. How was cooking for others but not being able to eat? Is the first few weeks hard or are you just not hungry anymore? A week of clear fluids is a bit daunting g to me.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pugmama View Post
    Hello - I’m very new to this topic - I’m considering having the sleeve done. My dad and sister have both done it and have done well. I am a homemaker and have a disabled husband. One major thing holding me back from making an appointment with a doctor to learn more is whether I will be able to handle coming home after surgery and somehow still holding down the house. I have a toddler and a 10 year old. My mom will be able to help me but I’d like to know how long the recovery is, how cranky will I be, how likely I will be to keep up with the toddler ... basically I need to know everything! I’m 40 years old, 4’10” and I’m pushing 190 lbs. I am prediabetic, but barely - I think I was one point over the cut off. I do have a comorbidity with my joints. I’d love any help and advice. Thank you!
    I think that if your mom is willing to help you, you should be fine. I wasn't in excrutiating pain, more like discomfort. The first few days at home I slept a lot. You're just trying to regain your strength and get your fluids in. Rest and recovery are important the first week so if your mom and your 10 year old can help, that will be great.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pugmama View Post
    I’m wondering if it’s like having a cesarean? I’ve had 2 of those and did really well with the last one. I’m not sure how I would do with it being able to lift my toddler for that many weeks. That will be hard. How was cooking for others but not being able to eat? Is the first few weeks hard or are you just not hungry anymore? A week of clear fluids is a bit daunting g to me.
    I've never had a cesarean, so I can't compare it. I would say that the discomfort is like doing 1,000 sit ups. Some people don't take their meds at all. I took meds for a week and then didn't need anything else. Honestly, after you come home from surgery, you don't care what other people are eating. Drinking your protein shakes and trying to learn how to eat moving forward (in the beginning), will be your focus.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would say you will need help for 2 weeks. Especially the first week, I think I slept most of the time!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

For sure you will need help week one. You will be super tired and not want to worry about anyone but yourself. Week 2 would be nice to have some "drop in" help. Good luck!