Surgeon
    Dr Pirrello
    Last Activity
    07-26-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default smoking an the sleeve?

I quit smoking in 2005 and promptly gained TWO HUNDRED + pounds in a little over a year.
    I am very high strung and anxious and I just ate instead of sucked on a cig in times of stress, when angry, anxious etc

I simply could NOT lose it.
    I got so fed up I decided I would smoke just a little to se what would happen.
    Well from feb 2015 to dec 2017 i went from 390s to 225!
    so i lost approx 170 lbs in 2 1/2 years.

i didn't even *try* all that hard. the smoking just naturally replaced BINGEING which is my problem.
    i still had "structured" "planned" mini extra calorie meals...usually a SMALL 10" pizza and a dessert. One baked good: a brownie, cookie, croissant etc
    i even weighed the pizza and then took online calorie values from a few sources ..I had to get them from franchise places since mom & pop establishments do not post calories.
    i figured a pizza is basically 3 ingredients: dough, sauce, cheese. of course the ratios may change but more or less the same calories per oz
    i averaged slices from sbarro, domino's and a few frozen pizzas.
    i took their serving size calories and divided by weight for calories per oz
    i then took the average. then to be safe, i even rounded it UP...so 63 calories / oz became 70 calories / oz
    and my 18 1/2 oz pizza was rounded up to 20 oz!

this was all to try to see what i culd eat and still lose. i was trying to eat a little and be mindful of it..too many people blow a week or weeks w binges on their "free day"

so came up w a 20 oz pizza at 70 cals / oz = 1,400 and add in a dessert usually about 400-500.
    I was eating 2,000 on my "free day" that one meal. Not crazy by any means ! but w that friday treat I could do low cal with very few flubs the rest o the week leading to friday.

As I got to 225ish..(my normal maintanbale weight was 165-170), i decided i should quit smoking and focus on exercise.
    from 390 to 225 i hadn't exercised at all. none. it was all about overcoming my food addiction/binge behavior and i even learned to work in a treat once a week in responsible way ! a SMALL pizza, NO extra cheese or fatty meats (pepperoni etc)
    dessert was small and packaged so I could see nutrition or from starbucks. ONE baked good.

I quit smoking a few months after Christmas 2017....so spring 2018.
    I proceeded to gain it all back !

Fast forward to Fall 2019. I get serious. I seek an appetite suppressant. I am denied due to my blood pressure and heart rate.
    I try no carbs as I had a friend who did ok w cutting out carbs.
    I did "ok" for about 2-3 weeks. I would lose 10-20 and then slowly gain it back over and over.
    Finally in JAN of 2020 i decided to look into bariatric surgery,.,....

I go to mandatory info seminar & sign up immediately. i am sicking of being fat.
    I go to get my GI x-rays, do the breath test for stomach bacteria, take my anti biotics, start to move, make some modifications, count my sodas, smaller portions, chewing, i plan to get no straw, no caffeine and no drinking w meals etc

I am 3 months into this and anticipate surgery in AUGUST.

BUT..I cannot lose any weight !
    I do great for a few weeks and gain it right back AND i binge !
    my A1C was 7.5 in feb and i was ding much better than now.
    They will NOT operate if I am over 8 A1C and insurance wants me to weigh less and less as I approach surgery.
    I have actually now gained and am heavier than when I first checked in w Dr,
    I'm not sure of my A1C but wouldn't be surprised if it is over 8 which would disqualify me.

SO....I am considering SMOKING at least up until surgery..2 or 2 1/2 months just to get a hold of this urge to eat.
    Now I do not want responses abot mediation, yoga, deep breathing and "other ways to manage stress" other than eating or smoing.
    This is a life long struggle..I have done it all and Im not asking for tips.

What I *AM* asking is did anyone smoke prior to surgery?
    how long before surgery did you quit?
    how long after surgery did you start again?

I quit to avoid heart attack, heart disease, difficuluty breathing, stroke and cost !
    well, now 200 lbs heavier..i'm at risk for heart disease, stroke, i have sleep apnea, and type 2 diabetes and i spend more on mcdonald's than i did on cigarettes
    to be honest i wish i never quit...i have lost 10 years from early 40s to early 50s..what should be quality yrs of my life..lost to being obese!@

I had a tummy tuck in 1997 after i gained and lost 100 lbs...also after i quit smoking!
    they had me quit just 2-3 weeks prior to surgery,.
    that was for healing and breathing for anesthesia.

I just see NO SMOKING on list and the pulmonolgist asked abouyt my smoking history.
    I don;'t want to be kicked out of the program and I dont want surgery delayed. But i am having a hatime w the eating..all the appointments, blood work, phone calls, 100 mi travel to dr, video calls, emails, verifying appts and requesting med records from past provider
    this is a full time job just preparing for surge and i do NOT deal w phones, mssgs and the likes well at all.
    the whole thin is totally stressing me out and annoying me and I dislike a few of my providers for their arrogance and condescending way they speak to me.
    like i don't know being 200 lbs overweight is bad, expensive and that fish is better for me than a pan of brownies..oh really?
    thanks for he insight..i was wondering why i was 375 LBS !

on and on..and "stop when you are full" which is the most maddening. I am not nearly 400 lbs because i dont "stop when full"
    it's because i do not even HAVE that sensation. i have been to weigh loss clinics and met people bigger than i am and been overweight their whole lives and NOT ONE of them is morbidly obese because they ate when they werent hungry !

we use food as a drug, coping mechanism, or downright gluttony..for me it is stress reliever
    i dont drink booze or have anything else that cuts my nerves like eating junk fod in quantity OR toking on a cig!

I think mgoing to smoke if only for a few months and get my good momentum going

any experiences smoking??

again, nit looking for advice on not smoking or how bad it is...believe me i know !
    m just trying to lose some weight so i can get surgery and try to STOP this bad momentum i have been unable to break for over a decade with the exception of the 2 1/2 yrs i smoked !

so is it dangerous? why? what about surgery they have you quit?
    anyone smoke prior to surgery or shortly after
    i would like to do it for a few months before and maybe after..tho everyone says i wont want to even eat after so thats good !

thoughts?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: smoking an the sleeve?

Never been a smoker so really can't answer your question except to say my surgeon will not operate on a smoker. You must quit before surgery. Probably the best reason now to quit smoking is COVID. Smoking and being obese are 2 of the major risk factors. Do it for your health! Do it for those who care about you.

After surgery you will not be physically able to overeat. It felt like one more bite and I'd die!! Early on you will never have to worry about quitting when full.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/01/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr Pirrello
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

yes, i know how bad it is

im not even doing it..im just THINKING about doing it !
    lol..i just cant stop eating!

ive only ever managed my weight while smoking..i figured maybe i should smoke for a few month prior to surgery to get things going in right direction
    i wonder why they are against it?

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Can't offer you any advice on smoking as I never have.
    I will just wish you well and hope that everything works out for you.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually, smokers seem to be less affected by Coronavirus. Crazy, right? But it's true. I was a smoker when I had surgery. My doctor never tested me, and I don't remember if I told him or not. I didn't go through insurance, so my doctor didn't require much from me since cash talks. ;-) I quit in April 2017, so 2.5 years after WLS. I gained from 102 lbs up to 117 pound within three months of quitting, and have stayed close to that same weight range since.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Actually, smokers seem to be less affected by Coronavirus. Crazy, right? But it's true. I was a smoker when I had surgery. My doctor never tested me, and I don't remember if I told him or not. I didn't go through insurance, so my doctor didn't require much from me since cash talks. ;-) I quit in April 2017, so 2.5 years after WLS. I gained from 102 lbs up to 117 pound within three months of quitting, and have stayed close to that same weight range since.
    Funny, I heard the opposite, that if you're a smoker and/or obese and get the virus you're screwed. just goes to show you don't know what to believe anymore. Every doctor says something different. I'm better off with no news.

But I think we can agree smoking and obesity is bad for your health.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Funny, I heard the opposite, that if you're a smoker and/or obese and get the virus you're screwed. just goes to show you don't know what to believe anymore. Every doctor says something different. I'm better off with no news.

But I think we can agree smoking and obesity is bad for your health.
    Here is an article I read about it, but you can find articles to support it being less dangerous to smokers and ones to support it being more dangerous. Who knows with all the conflicting information on every aspect of Covid-19. It's all a mess. Either way, smoking isn't healthy. It stinks. It's expensive. It certainly didn't keep me from getting fat. So I really can't see much reason to start if you don't smoke.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...n-for-covid-19
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/01/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr Pirrello
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

of course it's bad.
    it's individual.

i have gained 100 lbs three times in my life now.
    each time was when i quit smoking

i spent as much or MORE on the junk food that made me fat than cigs.

and yeah cigs are unhealthy:
    heart disease, stroke, lung cancer, stroke
    and now i am 200 lbs overweight at risk for
    heart disease, stroke, diabetes, sleep apnea, the shame (i don't see people), the self loathing, the expense etc

i have high anxiety and nerves. i have my entire life. i exercise, mediate, yoga, don't do (much caffeine)
    it's just the way i am wired.
    i have tried every medication under the sun.
    i have chewed my nails since i was a kid.
    i dont seem to be able to get thru life without "something"

id rather smoke than be fat.
    i wish i didnt quit to be honest.

im not looking for license to go back.
    i was just thinking maybe for a few months to get my blood sugars and weight and eating under control.

i have been out of control for 10 yrs now

Last Activity
    03-07-2021 08:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am still trying to quit smoking actually, and you know, I am in a really similar situation as you are. And I have been trying to quit smoking since the first lockdown happened. I mean, I am obese and I am smoking really hard, and that is not good at all, especially taking into account the times that we are living in. Right now, I am always saying that I actually "quit" though, I actually changed cigarettes for vaping. I am probably the most loyal customer of https://greyhaze.co.uk/collections/shop-all-e-liquid right now. I understand that it is basically the same as smoking, however I try to convince myself that it is still better

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    09/22/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tsai
    Last Activity
    07-08-2021 05:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I don't have an addiction to cigarettes but I do have an addiction to junk food. I had my gastric sleeve over five months ago and I physically would not be able to binge on junk food right now as it would give me one heck of a stomach ache! Those stomach aches are rough, last for many hours, and you just have to ride it out. Now I have not had junk food since months before my surgery as I had to go through a six month pathway before surgery but sometimes the food I do eat gives me stomach aches. No rhyme or reason and it's a learning process daily to figure out what my sleeved stomach will tolerate. The reason I say all this is because though my addiction isn't cigarettes I personally have to fight cravings for food I cannot eat at this time and can never go back to eating like I did before. This started almost one year ago when I decided to have weight loss surgery. Going to the grocery store was not the same and I actually went through a grieving period and sometimes still am. I tell myself daily that my health is most important and use this tool I've been blessed to receive to help get this excess weight off and maintain for the rest of my life. Everyone has a different journey. You know what you need to do for your health. I hit rock bottom and that is when I decided I had to improve my health or I would die an early death or my health would continue to decline. I will say once I made the decision and post-surgery has been very difficult for me (GERD and mentally) I am 100% happy I had the surgery!! There is a ton of information on these weight loss surgery forums and I spent hours reading. I understand your struggle and wish you the best in figuring out what is best for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-12-2021 03:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

puh...actually better not to smoke not even relating to gastric sleeve

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-14-2022 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

It's the one thing I can't refuse. But it doesn't stop me from doing it.