Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-17-2020 10:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Pre-surgery: keen to hear experiences from previously heaver drinkers

Hi there everyone!
    I am in the UK, and in the process of having my pre-approval for a gastric sleeve. I am 33, 5'4 (164cm) and approximately 20 stone (280 pounds).
    One thing that came up in the psych assessment is that I am a heavy drinker, and this will hinder my attempts to lose weight (with or without surgery.)
    The doctor said I need to decrease my drinking to 10 units a week, which is a lot less than I drink now.
    I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, and had to drastically reduce their alcohol intake, and how was their experience of that? Was it easy/difficult? Was it an issue post-surgery?
    Thanks for your help.

2. The following 4 users said welcome redwards 123 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre-surgery: keen to hear experiences from previously heaver drinkers

Alcohol is primarily sugar, so its' not a good decision if you're losing weight. Also, the VGS means that 1/4 of what you were drinking in terms of alcohol, will hit you about like 2 normal size drinks.

Pre-op diets usually emphasize protein & dense carbs (no sugars). After surgery, alcohol would not be good until you are about 6 months or so out (my opinion but others will add thoughts). No judgment about drinking, just it's meaning your sleeve won't help if you don't change.

I started at 240 - weigh about 135 most of the time, and lost very quickly.

Like most people here, I followed pre-op to the letter, and post-op to the letter. Tracked all my food, weighed every day. And when I've hit maintainence, even though I have some leeway about what I eat, I still track everything and daily weight.

You really have to be ready to make the change for the sleeve to work. It's a tool, along with behavioral changes. It's not an easy fix to weight.

Best of luck! Post lots of questions.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre-surgery: keen to hear experiences from previously heaver drinkers

Hi There

I never drank a lot prior to surgery and afterwards cut it out all together. I tried a couple of small glasses of wine but they hit me hard and fast and I didn't really like the feeling. Also these days I would much rather get my calories from food :-)

I'm not a professional but I think that if you really want to succeed with your weight loss you will need to address the amount of alcohol that you drink.
    As Annie said above "You really have to be ready to make the change for the sleeve to work. It's a tool, along with behavioral changes. It's not an easy fix to weight."

It will seem like a miracle in the beginning as the weight just drops off but as time goes on you really do need to work at it. Nearly 3 years out and I still weigh and measure my food and keep a track in a dairy and on an app of my intake. I also weigh myself every morning so there are no nasty surprises.

Wishing you all the best.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Before surgery and while losing it would be best to try to break the habit. I'd say a just the occasional drink. I guess the question is are you addicted to the alcohol? Can you stop? If not, you'll have to get that under control before surgery. Try quitting now and see if you can do it.

I'm 6 years out, and do drink. However nothing like before surgery. One drink now is about equal to three drinks pre-surgery. In other words, it hits me like a ton of bricks. I can no longer drink like normal people, not only is my stomach smaller, I am smaller. I have learned that lesson a few times and totally embarrassed myself. I even quit all together for 6 months. Now I'm doing the never more than one drink an evening. That works for me. After this pandemic I may go back to none again.

Good luck! Keep asking questions, this place is super helpful.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. You've gotten some great feedback from the veterans, but I'll add my two cents! Good for you for asking questions, this is the perfect time for doing it. I have always been a social drinker and occasionally have a glass or two at home. As Sharon said, post-sleeve, one drink is about all I can handle. It literally hits you much quicker than it did pre-sleeve. Now is the time to rid yourself of any bad habits, its time to recognize, evaluate and eliminate any bad habits that you do not want to carry into your post sleeve life.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents