Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Once again - weird weight observation

The term "ideal" weight still eludes me, at 2 1/2 year out.

I can look at photo's where post sleeve I hit 123 -- I don't look good. My kids said I looked "frail"; they hovered & fussed. I also had severe "toad froth" the first 6-8 months post sleeve, which was rather like antabuse for food, imho.

I am staying between 136-140. I've had more people spontaneously say how great I look. While I appreciate the feedback, I FEEL way better at this weight than in the 20's.

I'm 5'4: (used to be 5'5 but have osteo).

IS there a perfect number? I don't think so. I do think there is a range that works best.

Anyone else?]]
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    07-21-2020 01:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Once again - weird weight observation

Interesting, as when I met with my dietician last week I asked her about what should a good goal weight be for me. I am 5'4" as well and I am 7 months post-sleeve. I was trying to not set myself for failure and she did help me which I was surprised. I am hoping to still get lower than her thought but she did give me a range. I set my goal at 140 but asked if I should be shooting for 130s. She told me 143-145 would be good without having to workout 7 days a week. I will be honest I still hope for 135-140 so I think you seem to be in the right range.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Annie,
    I think an "ideal" weight is one that we feel like we can sustain--not a number on a BMI chart. According to said BMI chart, I am still considered overweight. In order to be at an ideal weight, I'd have to lose another 15 pounds. I don't see that happening. I'm content the way that I eat, I love being a size 8, and I'm not willing to deprive myself any further just to be a number on some elusive chart. I am currently at 155, which is at the high end of the WW chart, but it is also a weight that I have managed to stay at for the past 6 years. I feel my current weight is the one that my body has pretty much settled at and is the one that I feel I am able to maintain.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI Annie
    I think the ideal weight is whatever works for you. If you are happy at a weight and the BMI chart says you are overweight, so be it. Remember BMI is just a tool for the doctors. Muscle weighs more than fat and so often for muscular people show as overweight on the BMI chart but in reality they are not. I Prefer to go by what I see on the scales and whats suits me and I am happy with. Goodluck and stay safe. x

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Annie

I'm not sure that there is an "ideal" weight but I think that there is definitely a range where we are "happy".
    I fluctuate within a range of 2-3 kilos and I'm ok with that. I would prefer the lower weight and I make darn sure that I don't go above the upper weight.
    It seems to be a range that suits me. I exercise without being obsessive and I eat a mainly balanced food range (sometimes there are more treats than there should be). I feel good and when I look I the mirror I think I look ok too :-).
    I'm a couple of kilos heavier than my absolute lowest weight but I think our bodies find their own "normal". As long as we keep on the straight and narrow to stay within our own range I think we are doing ok :-)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Well I'm 5'3" (also shrunk) and weigh about the same as you. Gained a little at the start of this mess, and now stuck at 137 for over a month. Happy to maintain at the moment. Did hit 130 for Kilimanjaro. Love to be at 130 but really can't seem to stay there. So you are much smaller than me!

Not sure why I feel I have to weigh 130 when I was perfectly happy (ecstatic!) at 140 for years. I guess 2 reasons, I think I've shrunk an inch (always swore I was 5'4") and then Dr. V said at my height I should weigh 130. Not sure why I'm letting a self-proclaimed skinny Asian man tell me what to weigh. I have Nordic genes. Perhaps that's a decision I should make on my own?

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon, yes he is quite thin and I suspect that's his genetics.
    I'm just trying to balance info overload & common sense, I think.

I do think our genetics play a huge part - I am, regardless of being 120 or 240 (both of which have happened) someone who does NOT have a waist. My ribs sit 1/2" above my hip bone. No room for a silly thing like a waist, lol. One of my 4 is also what we call "spark plug" shaped. Two of the girls have hourglass shapes, with longer waists. My son is tall, but stalky.

I wear a size 5 ring, a size 6 pair of jeans, a medium shirt & a 10 dress depending on cut.

I will never look like a "willow", or like Dr V! But basically pretty doggone happy with my size, my shape, and particularly by health <3.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Sharon, yes he is quite thin and I suspect that's his genetics.
    I'm just trying to balance info overload & common sense, I think.

I do think our genetics play a huge part - I am, regardless of being 120 or 240 (both of which have happened) someone who does NOT have a waist. My ribs sit 1/2" above my hip bone. No room for a silly thing like a waist, lol. One of my 4 is also what we call "spark plug" shaped. Two of the girls have hourglass shapes, with longer waists. My son is tall, but stalky.

I wear a size 5 ring, a size 6 pair of jeans, a medium shirt & a 10 dress depending on cut.

I will never look like a "willow", or like Dr V! But basically pretty doggone happy with my size, my shape, and particularly by health <3.
    Annie,
    I carry the bulk of my weight in my middle. Even with losing 85 pounds, I will never have a flat stomach. Never in my life did I ever believe I would be wearing a size 8 in pants. I think its mainly because of consistent working out. I had a consult with a plastic surgeon, so I know that I will not lose the loose skin on my abdomen without surgical intervention, but like you, I don't think I want any more elective surgeries. I'm content with my body, not happy, but content and right now my focus is maintenance.

16. Said thanks: