Surgeon
    Dr. Sulman Ahmed
    Last Activity
    04-14-2020 08:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Freshly sleeved

Hi everyone, this seems like the friendliest wls forum around so i'm happy to be here!

I'm 22 from Australia and I've struggled with my weight my whole life and after being put on anti-depressants and hormonal birth control my weight spiraled out of control, I put on 20kg in less than 2 years. I tried everything from fad diets to weight loss pills to sketchy skin patches from China to dietitians and gym regimes. Nothing helped me keep weight off for more than a few weeks Then in came Dr Ahmed and sleeved me on Feb 12 2020.

I knew I would lose less weight and lose it more slowly since my starting weight was only just eligible, so I am super happy with my 11kg so far! I'm hoping by next year to come down to 70kg or a bit lower and then maintain.

I've never been much of a meat eater and the thing i'm currently struggling with post-op is getting to my protein goal. Meat HURTS going down still! In fact, if it's high in protein, chances are it hurts going down which sucks. The only way i've consistently managed to reach the protein goal is by adding protein powder to my cups of soup and coffee. Any tips and tricks here would be much appreciated

Hope to see some of you friendly faces around!

2. The following 5 users said welcome velra to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Freshly sleeved

Velra,
    Welcome to the forum! You may need to start with soft meats if you're still having trouble getting meat in. Ground meat, tuna, any type of soft fish or meat that will be a little more friendly to get down. Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    02-07-2024 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Great decision to get sleeved. For me eating chicken legs and thighs was easy. Chicken breasts just don't go down well. I used to love strip steak but now filet is the only steak I can eat, Expensive but since I eat so much less it works. I struggle with pork. I eat a lot of salmon. I buy a large filet and cut into 4 oz portions and freeze them. The 4 oz is a perfect portion for me. I agree with the tuna suggestion. Easy to portion control and have a lot of protein. Check out a good health food store for protein shake mixes or powders. They have a variety of flavors and usually are high on protein. Also make sure about your fluids. 64-96 oz per day. You can do it.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Meat gets easier over time. I remember my first bite of chicken, I thought I was going to die!

For protein, try other options for now. Soft boiled eggs, protein drinks, etc. It's important to meet your daily protein gram requirement, but with the drinks you should be fine.

Welcome and congratulations on starting your amazing new life.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome

Meat is difficult to start with. I found fish (fresh or tinned), shellfish, prawns and chicken the easiest. Minced beef was ok too. But only really small amounts. I still find steak, pork, lamb a bit difficult.
    Slow cooked meat, with lots of gravy or sauces are not too bad.
    Also other protein sources such as eggs, cottage cheese etc are good. I ate a lot of eggs early on and I still have cottage cheese most days for lunch :-)
    Protein shakes were also high on my list, I now do a spinach smoothie for breakfast and add a scoop of protein powder. More filling and sustaining than the protein shake on it's own.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents