Jamie Ponce
    Last Activity
    04-09-2020 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Plateau for months now

Hey All,
    Reaching out to you guys because I am now freaking out a little bit. Surgery date 9-16-2019. I did fantastic the first 3 months. But the last three months I've only lost 7 lbs. I have been working with my nutritionist and doctor. They said I wasn't eating enough. So I increased my intake to around 1000-1100 calories and I recently started working out a minimum of 5 days a week. Either walking/running 3-4 miles or bicycling 8-10 miles.

My typical meals are: Eggs with cheese for breakfast, chicken salad and cheese for lunch, 3 oz protein (varies) and green beans or spinach for dinner. P3 pack and raw vegetables for snacks. I do drink one cup of coffee in the morning with creamer. I drink tea with Splenda, Powerade Zero and water.

Sometimes I struggle to get the calories in but I have been forcing myself to eat. I am stuck at 214 and have been for the past 3 months. I am tall 5'9" but I know I need to lose some more weight. I feel like my body is saying, "Nope, this is all you get".

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks! Melissa

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Plateau for months now

Wow, it is quiet here.
    Hi Melissa, don't freak out.
    What you describe has not happened to me, but I do know of some, who had the same experience.
    Listen to your stomach, do not force yourself to eat more than you can.
    For me, I could eat 1100 calories when I was more than a year out, but everybody is different.
    By six months I hovered around 600-700 calories.

When your sleeve tells you to stop eating, stop eating.
    It is better to save a small portion of your meal and eat it at snack time later on in the day.
    Listen to your body, it will tell you, what it needs, our bodies are smart that way.
    The scale will move again, you are just passed the beginning of your honeymoon period.
    Hang in there, you will be fine!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Mellissa,
    You are still in the beginning stages of your journey. Sounds like you're in the middle of a plateau. We've all been through it. When it happened to me, I got hysterical. I think the plateau is the body's way of saying "what in the hell is going on?" Since you are working out a lot, you may need to add in a snack. I wouldn't worry, the weight is going to come off.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

You want advice? Here’s some good advice. Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll keep getting the same results.

You don’t know me so I’ll let you in on a little secret. Nutritionists are idiots. They have no idea what does and doesn’t work for sleeeved folks because they probably haven’t had a sleeve. In a nut shell, you are starving your body of fats and carbs and that’s what the body uses to fuel its metabolism. Protein kicks the metabolism on, but, it runs on carbs and fats.

Go to my profile and there you will find plenty of info on stalls. How they start, how to bust them, and how to never get one again.

The quick fix is to mix in a donut, or candy bar. Something small with lots of carbs. In a day or two, the scale will move.

This remedy may or may not work for you. Since each of us is unique, your solution will also be unique. One thing is for certain. You already know what won’t work. That’s what frustrates me the most about NUTs. They are so invested in a one size fits all approach. One size does not fit all in a sleeved world.

I lost 265 lbs in 14 months eating what I liked, when I liked, and made just the way I liked. I’ve been sleeved almost 8 years and have been +/- 5 lbs of goal for over six of those years. I think I’ve got this figured out.

The only rule I had is to never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, overeat....ever.

Let me know if I can help. Got plenty of time on my hands now....lol.

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

tinman,
    Always good to see you!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    You want advice? Here’s some good advice. Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll keep getting the same results.

You don’t know me so I’ll let you in on a little secret. Nutritionists are idiots. They have no idea what does and doesn’t work for sleeeved folks because they probably haven’t had a sleeve. In a nut shell, you are starving your body of fats and carbs and that’s what the body uses to fuel its metabolism. Protein kicks the metabolism on, but, it runs on carbs and fats.

Go to my profile and there you will find plenty of info on stalls. How they start, how to bust them, and how to never get one again.

The quick fix is to mix in a donut, or candy bar. Something small with lots of carbs. In a day or two, the scale will move.

This remedy may or may not work for you. Since each of us is unique, your solution will also be unique. One thing is for certain. You already know what won’t work. That’s what frustrates me the most about NUTs. They are so invested in a one size fits all approach. One size does not fit all in a sleeved world.

I lost 265 lbs in 14 months eating what I liked, when I liked, and made just the way I liked. I’ve been sleeved almost 8 years and have been +/- 5 lbs of goal for over six of those years. I think I’ve got this figured out.

The only rule I had is to never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, overeat....ever.

Let me know if I can help. Got plenty of time on my hands now....lol.
    When I get "stuck" or have put on 1-2 and want it off, my go to is a cookie (or 2) during the day. It does, however weirdly, re set me.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member melkay1968's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Jamie Ponce
    Last Activity
    04-09-2020 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the advice. You are all so inspiring. It's just the NO weight loss for over 2 months that was kinda freaking me out. I will try the changes you recommend and see what happens. A donut actually sounds pretty good right now! :-) Pretty sure it would make me sick though. Thanks again for the taking the time to share your experiences!