Dr Tom Jones
    Last Activity
    03-17-2020 02:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hello Everyone

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I had my sleeve several years ago (December 13th, 2012). My surgery was difficult because I went from a failed Lap Band to the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. It was a success however. It took me a couple years to almost reach my goal weight and then I started slowly gaining and that has been the trend. I am now over 100 lbs. away from my goal weight of 245 lbs., but still 100 lbs. less than my heaviest weight of 454 lbs. My fear is that I have stretched out my sleeve. I used to be good about not overeating but then it began where I would eat until very full. I have gained enough that my health is going downhill again. I am hoping to get back on track by eating healthier, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about stretching out my sleeve. That is why I am here now. So, that is my story and why I am here now.

2. The following 7 users said welcome Cobalt_FZ1 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Hello Everyone

I'm pretty sure your sleeve has stretched, but your bariatric surgeon could find out for sure with that barium swallow test (I think that's what it's called) and start there. Then you could discuss your course of action. Another surgery? (But if you ate around your first surgery would you do it again?) Something like Weight Watchers? Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Cobalt_FZ1's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Tom Jones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've thought about contacting my surgeon. I may actually do that soon. I really want to get back on track. I've though about things like Weight Watchers too. It may be an option as well. I've done it in the past and had limited success, but that was before my sleeve. I do know I have not been eating as healthy as I should as well, so I'm starting there. Cutting out snacks and high calorie foods and drinks should help I hope.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I've been doing WW to help maintain and I really like it. They give you three different choices of plans to follow now, so you can find one to fit your lifestyle. Even though your sleeve has probably stretched (I'm sure mine has too after 6 years) I would bet you can't eat as much as before the sleeve.

Ever watch Dr. Vuong on YouTube? He's a weight loss surgeon with hundreds of videos out there that are super helpful. I'm sure he has lots on regain. It's all the psychology/mind games. I mean we all know what to eat, right? But do we always do it? Nope.

He even has a diet to follow. Just Google the Dr. V Diet.

Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Tom Jones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for the information! I'll check on those things. Even though I'm sure my sleeve has stretched I can't eat nearly what I used to before surgery. I think you're right about it being psychology/mind games. It's so easy to misbehave with what I eat.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I have also regained some weight, and was worried too about having stretched my sleeve. I joined weight watchers, started tracking my food again, and have been going to the meetings weekly. The support has been extremely helpful, and I am starting to lose the weight again. I will tell you, my sleeve still works, and I think yours does too! Listen to your body when you are eating, take slow, mindful bites of food. When you feel the least bit full, stop eating. You did this once before, and you can do it again. It has been much slower this time, but the weight is coming off. I keep reminding myself, this is a lifestyle change, I am eating to fuel my body, with good, healthy food. Good luck to you, reaching out for help, and encouragement is a great first step!

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Tom Jones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for the encouraging words. I truly appreciate it.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Best thing is we have learned! We can change! You're in the right place.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Totally agree with Sharon and llakim about Weight Watchers. I regained and lost it by going back to WW. WW will help you to be accountable. Go sign up and do it. Get back on track!

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Even though dish up small servings, I found that my mind set of what is small still overwhelmed my stomach. And that stopping when I felt full, was not good enough. Because 10 minutes later I would be saying "blurgh, I feel awful."

I count bites now. 7 bites, I've found, is what works out. More than 7 bites at the moment I'm eating is fine, but not later when I'm trying to process the food. If I'm still hungry I wait half an hour, and eat a little more. I know we are supposed to eat protein first, and then bread. I haven't been able to do that, the reason I got a sleeve is so I would eat less but still (somewhat) have food choices that seemed normal and appealing. That may not be perfect, but for me it has worked out ok.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Protein first, then bread? Are you sure? I have rarely eaten bread in 6 years. For me it was protein first, then veggies, then good carbs (like fruit, whole grains) if any room is left. But it sounds like now you don't have much room, which is perfectly normal. I remember when I started chicken, one or two bites put me over the edge!! Good luck.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

It's been a long time since I was trying to wrap my head around the rules. I got my sleeve the month after you did - so I am going off memory now from quite a ways back. I'll bet you are correct, sraebaer. In any case it would make for an obnoxious sandwich, even an open faced one. And my veggies are my favorite thing on my plate! I do still eat bread, albeit very little compared to pre-sleeve.