Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 02:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Ibuprofen/Anti-inflammatories

I am having a gastric sleeve in 6 days. I take Ibuprofen 800 mg almost daily, multiple times a day, and have for nearly 20 years for arthritis. I have been told by a couple of people who've had sleeves that ibuprofen, NSAIDS, and anti-inflammatory medications (like Celebrex) cannot be taken after surgery due to risk of bleeding and ulcers. Tylenol does not work for my pain, never has and will not work for an anti-inflammatory. Anyone with arthritis, that's had the sleeve, what do you take for pain and inflammation? A nurse practitioner that I work with suggested Humira or those types of medications for moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. I haven't talked to my PCP because she isn't very supportive and she will try and talk me out of surgery. I am 42 and have had arthritis since I was a child. My joints are terrible and hurt almost constantly.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Ibuprofen/Anti-inflammatories

You have to bring this up with your bariatric surgeon today. I was told no NSAIDS after surgery, only Tylenol. By not mentioning it just to have the surgery sounds like a bad idea. Good luck! I would bet your bariatric surgeon has an options that will work for you.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brandi
    Surgery date
    03/17/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 02:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks. But I haven't even seen my surgeon yet. Not sure why you thought I didn't mention it just to have surgery.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep, the rule is no NSAIDS after surgery... ever again. However, I do take them, but definitely not 800 mg or more a day. I'm more of a one or two packs of Goody's a day person. Hopefully your surgeon will be able to help you decide what's best. Good luck.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by brandib View Post
    Thanks. But I haven't even seen my surgeon yet. Not sure why you thought I didn't mention it just to have surgery.
    I guess because you said, " I haven't talked to my PCP because she isn't very supportive and she will try and talk me out of surgery."

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Wow, that is a lot of ibuprofen! I used to take some too, but stopped even before my sleeve. I think that amount of ibuprofen might be bad for kidney function over time.
    There are foods that decrease inflammation, but likely will not be comparable to ibuprofen. I've found my pain is a lot less avoiding carbohydrates, eating salmon (the fish oil capsules have never made any difference in my pain that I could tell), and elderberry syrup / jam etc. I've been loading up on elderberry syrup & jams, primarily out of immune system concerns (corona virus etc) but it has helped my inflammation in general. You may find that your different, lower carb diet makes a difference in your pain. But definitely ask your doctor about treatment alternatives. The surgeon who will be doing your surgery, and your primary care doctor. In my opinion it is important to be level with her now. Your surgeon is not local, you will need your primary care doctor's help if you have any issues post op. Trust me. I was worried too, but let my doctor know of my plans pre-op. Thank God I did. I had medical tourism insurance, etc, but I had issues post op. A week after my surgery, when I was back home it came to a head. I hate to think of how it would have felt having to approach my doctor with these issues if she had no clue her patient was going to have a sleeve gastrectomy. She can't keep you from having the surgery, and I doubt she will be able to talk you out of something you have already arranged.

Best of luck to you. Please come back and let us know how it worked out.