Dr Shaw Somers
    Last Activity
    08-27-2020 05:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default First big gain, please help!

Hi,

I had a sleeve in July of last year and have been constantly losing weight since. I’d almost completed a five stone loss (70 pounds) a few weeks ago and got to my lowest weight ever (10 stone 6 pounds or 146 pounds for the lovely American people on here!) however I weighed myself the week after and I’d put on a pound, was too scared to weigh myself last week and then this week I’ve seen that I’ve gained four pounds 😩😭 I don’t know how this is possible as I exercise (gym, walk or swim) four times a week and try and keep my eating on track most of the time. I’m really scared as I’ve done so well up until now and I don’t want to start going the other way again 😞 if anyone has any tips of encouragement/helpful words then that would be so appreciated, thank you 😊 never realised how hard it would be to lose the smaller you get!

Barbiepink x

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: First big gain, please help!

Hi. Has anything significant changed ? Are you drinking enough water ? Try writing a diary for a few days just to see what you are eating and drinking. You are addressing it at the right time before it’s too much of a gain. I am new to having a sleeve but I’m sure others will have some ideas. Good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI! Well done on your success so far. I think as sleevers we panic when we see the scale go up, but fluctuations can happen due to hormones, stress etc. As the above person has says, possibly keep a diary. I weigh myself every day ( I have been told not to) and that is the way I can keep on track. But a person can fluctuate almost 2kg in a day depending on food and water intake. good luck.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You're doing great! Watch "Real Talk with Dr. V - How to get the Scale Moving Again" on YouTube. He talks about how the number on scale doesn't define you. I love this guy, I am learning all about the psychology behind weight loss. (We all know how to eat and to exercise, it's the stuff in our head that messes us up).

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/20/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shaw Somers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you so much for the advice! I think I will start writing down what I’m eating and will watch that video to get myself back on track!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Gastric Sleeve Pal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    01-23-2022 04:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Barbiepink11 View Post
    Hi,

I had a sleeve in July of last year and have been constantly losing weight since. I’d almost completed a five stone loss (70 pounds) a few weeks ago and got to my lowest weight ever (10 stone 6 pounds or 146 pounds for the lovely American people on here!) however I weighed myself the week after and I’d put on a pound, was too scared to weigh myself last week and then this week I’ve seen that I’ve gained four pounds 😩😭 I don’t know how this is possible as I exercise (gym, walk or swim) four times a week and try and keep my eating on track most of the time. I’m really scared as I’ve done so well up until now and I don’t want to start going the other way again 😞 if anyone has any tips of encouragement/helpful words then that would be so appreciated, thank you 😊 never realised how hard it would be to lose the smaller you get!

Barbie-pink x
    Hello

You know this could be a change in food that can cause this or even a stall as your body is still confused and is still adjusting you are about 8 months down the road with this.

Write everything down and go back to eating the same kind of basic protein that you were eating in the beginning things like chicken, fish salad or mixed vegetables such as greens and water-packed vegetables.

Are You eating Bread if so, stop and see what happens
    The same applies to Potatoes if you eating these swap them for something else if you need to eat more food that is understandable.
    But the trick here is to add more food as you certainly may need to WHAT kind of food? Beans, Quinoa, Pulses are packed with nutrition and they will fill you up!

However, if you feel that honestly, you are eating correctly then look at water are you hydrated? This can also cause a lot of problems.

Just make a big effort to add drinking more water to your day.

Lastly, You may find that your weight does fluctuate this could be due to toxins.
    Maybe its constipation? flax seeds on your food sprinkled on veg or salad can really help make a difference in keeping regular bowel movements.

I would also add that I have a massage on a regular basis and that gets the scales down again by about 2 KG!

I would also add exfoliation of the skin body scrubs or skin brushing helps this along too. Saunas help detox I know this helps me when I feel stuck or want to reset things!

You may be experiencing a stall as well where the body just stops losing for a few days but it is key to make sure you feel you are still in a place of maintaining rather than gaining particularly in your first year.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and what you think may have helped to get things moving.

Great Question! I am sure you will also get some fabulous answers from this community too.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Good Job! Plan out your diet more carefully, and continue to exercise, your recovery is just right in the corner waiting.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbiepink11 View Post
    Thank you so much for the advice! I think I will start writing down what I’m eating and will watch that video to get myself back on track!
    I'm 2 3/4 years out, and still track my food and weight daily. For me, a normal fluctuation over a week is 1-4 pounds. What I've found that changes that is sleep, water, and of course, an occasional indulgence.

Being aware is awesome! You've done so well. Don't panic! You've got it.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

You said you exercise 4 times a week? Is it possible the weight gain is due to increased muscle mass? If you are truly eating and drinking the way we are taught, it maybe due to other causes.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/20/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shaw Somers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks so much for all the kind and helpful words I have also recently gone onto the pill so I feel like maybe hormones may be causing so fluctuations? I have also not been managing to drink too much due to my job so need to sort this out. I don’t know about anyone else but I find it really difficult to manage to drink enough when I can only take small sips? I feel like I am taking much bigger sips these days which I worry is stretching my stomach but I find it hard to just take teeny sips and finish a drink.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I'd think that starting the pill could definitely make a difference in weight, since hormones can affect water retention.