Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I wish someone had told me this 6 freakin years ago!!

So I’ve had a regain of 70lbs and couldn’t for the life of me figure out how I could possibly be gaining because I don’t eat enough to have gained that much. Well, I’m having a revision to bypass done on 3/11 and saw a nutritionist. When I saw one my first go-round the visit was pretty much pointless because all they did was show me a food pyramid and talk to me about what people are supposed to eat. Well, duh, I knew that. Anyway, i asked this one how the hell I’ve gained weight and told her what I eat. And this is what she said:

When you are obese, your body is like a big truck. Your body needs a lot of fuel (calories) to run at a normal level which makes your resting metabolic rate high. Once you lose a lot of weight (118lbs in my case) you are more like a Honda Civic. Your resting metabolic rate goes down significantly so you need less calories to run at a normal level. When you GAIN weight, your resting metabolic does not go back up which makes regain MUCH more likely. So before you lose you can maintain at like 2000 calories a day, but after you lose it goes down to (in my case) 1258. When you regain it doesn’t go back up to 2000. So, anything over 1258 will cause a gain (again, in my case).

I wish to GOD someone would have told me this. First, I didn’t know that my resting metabolic rate was that low. Secondly, and most importantly, I had no idea that it is easier to gain weight after you’ve lost a significant amount. If I had known this I would have counted every damn calorie i put in my body. I didn’t even think about resting metabolic rate. I didn’t even know what it was. Like, at all!! I just knew that if you eat around 1250 a day you lose weight. I honestly didn’t know why. I just thought it was a thing. It’s what I’ve been told all my life with no further explanation. I guess that makes me stupid but you’d think someone would have told me this at some point...

So, I hope someone else can benefit from this information. I have never read it anywhere on this forum so I wanted to share.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: I wish someone had told me this 6 freakin years ago!!

I have heard it described as when we lose weight we just shrink our fat cells. They are just sitting there waiting to get filled up again; they don't go away. The struggle is real! Wish you luck losing. Checked out anything from Dr. Vuong yet? He seriously helped me. It's more the head games than the food. If we can get our mind straight, the rest should follow. You can do it!

Totally frustrating though that's for sure.

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I’ve heard that too; that we never lose the cells, they just get smaller. The only way to get rid of them is lipo (which I want so bad!! Lol). I honestly never knew anything about RMR and feel so stupid because of it. I’ve been obsessed with my weight my whole life, like most of us are, and have tried a million diets and read even more books so how could I have never learned about it???
    I’m searching for Dr. Vuong now. Thanks for the tip!!

Revision stats:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Don't forget you're a ROCK STAR. You've got this. (I had never heard about RBM before either...) Had my surgery, saw the surgeon 3 months after, and then never again. No new information in SIX YEARS. I guess that's why I like Dr. V as I'm learning new stuff for the first time since forever.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

OMG! I watched Dr. V. He is so awesome! I bet his success rate is really high. He seems so cool!! Lol. I’ve never seen a doctor act to casual and chill. I wish he’d have been my surgeon. With all of that information it’s like there is no way his patients can fail unless they want to because he’s empowering them with so much knowledge! Thanks for turning me on to him. I learned so much just from watching 5 videos!!

Thanks again!

Revision stats:

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

SOMETHING about Lipo. Yes, the area you do is smaller. But if you regain, it goes where there are available fat cells. So if you have your thighs done, you may gain in your shoulders, or neck....it isn't a fix.

Not sure about the freeze thing- my understanding (minimal) is that it freezes the cells, which are they sloughed out through the liver & blood stream.

I maintain (only 2+ years out) at about 1300 calories; I do try to make every calorie count, but regardless of the day, I don't go over.

IF for some reason I go up, I cut back for 3-5 days; more than that and my body won't lose. So it's a constant tracking.

Tracking & weighing daily might be too much for some folks, but I have MAD (major anxiety disorder/majorie depressive disorder) so controlling deatils (even if sort of imaginary) helps me stay less anxious.

Just my 2cents.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Just came in from a WW meeting. For me, I think I need to just face the reality that in order to maintain the weight that I want to maintain, I will always have to be AWARE of what I am eating. I'm not the counting calorie kind of gal, but I do track what I eat and like Ann, I weigh myself daily--it keeps me accountable. I keep a journal and record my weight everyday. It's something that works for me. Also, switching to a meatless diet and eating more whole foods plant based has given me so much energy and makes me feel so much better. Dr. V is amazing. His realness is exactly what we need six years out. What he says makes perfect sense. Wishing you much luck for your bypass jessie. You have a different set of tools this time that will enable you to be successful.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Most of us have experienced the phenomenon that the more we lose the harder it is to lose. Part of it is because when we’re carrying around a lot of extra weight, we’re burning calories doing it and just keeping our bodies going. It’s one of the reasons I decided to have the VGS surgery. I knew I could lose weight, maybe enough to get out of the obese range into the overweight range. However, I also knew from experience that I’d have the constant feeling of hunger in order to get into the healthy weight range, would get discouraged and fail.
    A couple of other good numbers to be aware of besides your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and total daily exercise expenditure (TDEE). Without exercise I risk gaining if I consume more than about 1200 calories. Thus, I exercise a LOT.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for posting this! I think we need more support the further we get from our surgery, to help maintain and continue on this lifestyle. I am so appreciative of all the information and posts on this site! Good luck with the next part of your journey, and keep us posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I am quite lucky as I had up to 2 years nutritional support. In fact I have only just had my last appointment. i can contact them if I need help, although I would now have to pay. Thanks to sraebaer, I too am now following Dr Vuoung and find him inspirational and he makes allot of sense. I don't weigh my food at the moment, but I do try and keep control by making sure I eat small portions and sometimes I only eat protein. I do allow myself a treat now and again because otherwise life would be boring. ( on birthdays, anniversaries). I make sure the treat I have will not set me off on a binge, so I tend to go for things that I know I can have a small piece of or only one. If I feel I am craving a biscuit with a cup of tea, i go for ones that are sugar free. However I think keeping me at the present weight is more to do with the fact I gym 6 days a week and weigh myself everyday. When i see the scales go up by 500g, I cut back for a couple of days. Good luck wit your revision.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    OMG! I watched Dr. V. He is so awesome! I bet his success rate is really high. He seems so cool!! Lol. I’ve never seen a doctor act to casual and chill. I wish he’d have been my surgeon. With all of that information it’s like there is no way his patients can fail unless they want to because he’s empowering them with so much knowledge! Thanks for turning me on to him. I learned so much just from watching 5 videos!!

Thanks again!
    Check out his Facebook page, it's really good too. Dr. Duc Vuong. Last night he did a live cooking demo you could see on replay.