Surgeon
    Abunnja
    Last Activity
    02-25-2020 08:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hello Everyone I am scared!

I have started this journey at the age of 65. I went through this process several years back and made it to get a lap band. My insurance put the stops to that for some unknown reason. I try to think it was a good thing since lap Bands are going out, at least according to my program that I am in now. The program I am in now is for Gastric Sleeve. I have 6 months. I started in January, so I am almost 2 months in. I may have my surgery in June or July.
    I guess what I am most scared about is my age and if it will be worthwhile for me at this age? Will it bring me added years or will it take away from my life. Will it work for me? Will I be able to move more? Will it help my health issues? So many questions rolling around in my head. so many....
    I live in small town USA. I actually live on a small farm. I am a grandma to two. I am not telling anyone about my surgery except my husband and son. This kind of puts me alone, so I joined on here to hopefully get some support and have questions answered as I go on this journey.
    I went to a nutrition class last night and came out very emotional. They discussed vitamins and diet before and after surgery. This program pushes taking chewable vitamins and B12. It all sounds good till they start talking about what happens if you do not take your vitamins for the rest of your life. They talked about what ifs. It seemed to me to be a lot of things that could give you problems. From losing hair, to becoming vitamin deficient, and problems associated with the sleeve. I tried to take notes but could not get it all down. I guess what I am wondering is do these things really happen?
    Dehydration, Dumping, Low Blood sugar, Nausea and vomiting, Gas and Bloating, Constipation, Diarrhea, Hair Loss and Etc.
    Help I am scared and curious to hear from people that have had this surgery. I am especially interested in the older folks with health issues?
    Isn't protein hard on your kidneys?
    I have been ready to drop out and stay the way I am. But then I realize how bad I feel about myself. To continue to live the rest of my
    life ashamed of myself and not liking who I am.
    Thank you in advance for reading my post and for answering me.
    Lindalou2068

2. The following 8 users said welcome Lindalou2068 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Hello Everyone I am scared!

Keep up with the research, and think positive. I'm 63 and had the surgery 6 years ago, got to a regular BMI and stayed there. It's life changing. It could add years to your life. I feel like I am living again where before the sleeve I was miserable. I've going on my 4th ski trip this winter next week; we also love to snowshoe. (Hubby is 65). We climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro this past August. Age is just a number. I can do things many younger people can't.

You're worrying too much. I do take a bariatric multivitamin and calcium every day. No big deal. I have NEVER been sick, never threw up, never was dehydrated, never had blood sugar issues, etc. Dumping is what can happen with a gastric bypass, not the sleeve. The only thing (and I'm no expert) that seems to happen to most people is hair loss. But for most of us it is very minimal and grows back. Losing a little hair for a short while was a whole lot better than being fat in my book. Now I'm not saying no one has a complication, some do. But for me it was worth the slight risk. I was lucky to have none.

They have to tell you that stuff, but chances are low it will happen. It's like when you get a new medication and read the brochure with all the possible complications, it could scare anyone to death!

I highly recommend checking out Dr. Vuong on YouTube. Look for the videos on people considering the sleeve, pre-op, and immediately post-op. Super helpful information. But if you're offended by bad language, skip him. He tells it like it is in his own way. This site is great too, the perfect place to ask any questions.

Good luck with your decision. Many of us here are in our 60's. And I would bet all would say their only regret is that they didn't do it sooner.

Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hi Linda. I am very new to all this and only had my surgery on 21st Jan so just over 4 weeks ago. I can honestly say the only issue I have had is a little heartburn. No hair loss or any other complications thus far. As sraebaer said, it like ready the leaflet on drugs. Be excited about your new life and try not to worry. Good Luck

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindalou2068 View Post
    I have started this journey at the age of 65. I went through this process several years back and made it to get a lap band. My insurance put the stops to that for some unknown reason. I try to think it was a good thing since lap Bands are going out, at least according to my program that I am in now. The program I am in now is for Gastric Sleeve. I have 6 months. I started in January, so I am almost 2 months in. I may have my surgery in June or July.
    I guess what I am most scared about is my age and if it will be worthwhile for me at this age? Will it bring me added years or will it take away from my life. Will it work for me? Will I be able to move more? Will it help my health issues? So many questions rolling around in my head. so many....
    I live in small town USA. I actually live on a small farm. I am a grandma to two. I am not telling anyone about my surgery except my husband and son. This kind of puts me alone, so I joined on here to hopefully get some support and have questions answered as I go on this journey.
    I went to a nutrition class last night and came out very emotional. They discussed vitamins and diet before and after surgery. This program pushes taking chewable vitamins and B12. It all sounds good till they start talking about what happens if you do not take your vitamins for the rest of your life. They talked about what ifs. It seemed to me to be a lot of things that could give you problems. From losing hair, to becoming vitamin deficient, and problems associated with the sleeve. I tried to take notes but could not get it all down. I guess what I am wondering is do these things really happen?
    Dehydration, Dumping, Low Blood sugar, Nausea and vomiting, Gas and Bloating, Constipation, Diarrhea, Hair Loss and Etc.
    Help I am scared and curious to hear from people that have had this surgery. I am especially interested in the older folks with health issues?
    Isn't protein hard on your kidneys?
    I have been ready to drop out and stay the way I am. But then I realize how bad I feel about myself. To continue to live the rest of my
    life ashamed of myself and not liking who I am.
    Thank you in advance for reading my post and for answering me.
    Lindalou2068
    Linda,
    I had the surgery two years ago, at 65! YES! Yes to better health; yes to more energy; yes to engaging in life; yes to less medication.

It's incredibly worth it, and I get the anxiety part. As surgeries go, it's a pretty simple one. The VGS is the best tool to change your life.

I'm not as active as sraebaer or Ann2, but my goodness so much more life in my years! I'll be 68 in May

Keep posting!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Linda,
    I could have written exactly what you did six years ago. I was so miserable and just felt like I was going through life--existing, but not living. I honestly haven't had any of the issues that you described. Like Sharon said, they have to tell you all the what if's and just in cases, so that you are prepared. Life on the other side of the sleeve is just that.....it's life and a much better one than you can even begin to imagine.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

LInda, take a deep breath. Now take another. You’re gonna be OK. I’m an old farm girl and had surgery about 8 months ago at age 61. I had been very fat and very unhappy for a long time. The thing that really pushed me to do it was that my health was going downhill. My biggest concern was my blood pressure and the potential for a stroke.
    Although I inherited a lot of bad genetics, there’s every reason to think I’ll live another 30 plus years. I didn’t want to do it being disabled by a stroke or end up with diabetes and all of the bad things that come with it.
    Dumping syndrome typically is a side effect of a bypass, not the sleeve. Gallbladder issues are possible, but I was put on meds to help prevent it for a couple of months post surgery. Surgery for me was easy peasy. One night in the hospital and I didn’t need any prescription pain meds even while in the hospital. Over the counter Tylenol kept me comfortable.
    I was drinking 64+ ounces of water daily BEFORE surgery. I’d recommend doing this so that you’re not learning a new habit. You don’t want to get dehydrated and you won’t if you’re drinking your water. As for taking vitamins? Not a big deal either. Beats the Hell out of taking prescription meds for high BP, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.
    We’re here for you. You can do this if you want to do this, but you’ve got to want to and commit to a change of lifestyle and habits. Best of luck.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do these things really happen? Yep. Every single one of those things you listed is something I have and still struggle with. Am I still glad I had the surgery? Most of the time. I like being thin.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Do these things really happen? Yep. Every single one of those things you listed is something I have and still struggle with. Am I still glad I had the surgery? Most of the time. I like being thin.

What she said.....except I don’t regret a minute of it.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    What she said.....except I don’t regret a minute of it.
    My regret comes into play when I want to be a gluttonous pig and eat way more than my stomach can accommodate... which is pretty much always. I waste a LOT of food.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Gastric Sleeve Member john aldred's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Amente
    Last Activity
    03-11-2020 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

The old saying Time heals all wounds is so true, Its been 3 weeks since surgery and I feel tons better. No more depression Ive been able to do some work and I don't really get to worn out. I hope everyone else is doing well I have learned from this that the human body is quite remarkable in the way it heals it self. Thanks for listening and giving me advice . John
    Reason: Up to date

14. Said thanks: