Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Thread: WW Issues!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default WW Issues!

I think most of you know I'm using Weight Watchers to maintain, go to meetings and weigh once a month for free. Accountability. I need it.

But I can't trust myself on their website "Connect." I say what I think. Had to delete my account.

There was a photo of a large mom with a seriously overweight kid, looked to be about 6. She bragged, "NSV, I got my son McDonalds but I didn't get anything!!" I commented that her son didn't need McDonalds either. That didn't go over very well. It wasn't nice, but it was true. Got yelled at so much I've banned myself. I made another post about the importance of water and people continued to talk about how horrible I am.

But who would want to get healthy and continue to feed their family junk? I know adults will do what they want, but your 6 year old is not buying or making any food. The child is only consuming what you give him/her. Think of the teasing this kid gets at school. Think of the health problems already beginning. I would never want my child to go through life obese like I did for many years. Who would work on getting healthy and not care that their kid was getting sick? I'm not talking about putting kids on a diet, I'm talking about feeding them healthy food, with something like McDonald's as the occasional treat.

Be the parent. I know it's not easy, but it's really life or death.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WW Issues!

Sharon,
    You are hilarious! I had a WW leader once who used to say to everyone, "why are you cooking separate dinners? do you want to keep living and your spouse and children are dead?" Totally agree that she should also exhibit good eating habits for her child. However, that Connect group can be wicked.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Sharon,
    You are hilarious! I had a WW leader once who used to say to everyone, "why are you cooking separate dinners? do you want to keep living and your spouse and children are dead?" Totally agree that she should also exhibit good eating habits for her child. However, that Connect group can be wicked.
    It was really bad! I should have said, "Good for you, now keep fattening up your kid!". Craziness. Total waste of time.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Please don't ever stop being you Sharon! :-)

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    07-21-2020 01:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You were totally right but I can imagine how well that went over ��

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My daughter told me I can't tell someone else how to parent, that I was at fault. I probably was, but I couldn't help myself. I think I'm getting snarky like Dr. Vuong with this February challenge. He has a much worse word for people with overweight children.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    My daughter told me I can't tell someone else how to parent, that I was at fault. I probably was, but I couldn't help myself. I think I'm getting snarky like Dr. Vuong with this February challenge. He has a much worse word for people with overweight children.
    Yeah,
    I definitely think Dr. V is rubbing off on you. He is definitely frank and to the point. I love it!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh Sharon, without someone knowing couldn't know your great heart, especially for children.

I didn't have a weight problem when my kids were growing up; I was healthy, ran a whole food co-op from our home, ground wheat to make our bread, canned, and NO sugar till the youngest was probably 11. Yes, it gave them a good healthy start, and I'd like to think that start has helped them to deal with health issues. But since I was a full time mom, I could do that. (And keep busy or go crazy with 4 children is a thing, I think.) I also made all our families clothing - including suits for my husband. Lots of people judged me harshly for my choice to be an at home mom.

That said, each of them has had weight struggles later in life; the first sugar was certainly not the last. As they've gotten older, they've come back to a balance. Guess what I'm saying is we each do the best we can for those we love. We don't ever get it perfectly, or even right.

Speaking the truth in love to someone is often the kindest thing that may ever happen to them -- and I'm sorry people didn't hear what you were saying.

It wasn't said out of judgment, or unkindness -- just a honest, hard fought observation!

People -- as our friend Leo says, "There's No One Like People".

I do find Dr V funny, but I don't have his background, his medical experience, or his delivery!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

We need to have genetic tests done because you MUST be related to me! Don’t change.

19. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Oh Sharon, without someone knowing couldn't know your great heart, especially for children.

I didn't have a weight problem when my kids were growing up; I was healthy, ran a whole food co-op from our home, ground wheat to make our bread, canned, and NO sugar till the youngest was probably 11. Yes, it gave them a good healthy start, and I'd like to think that start has helped them to deal with health issues. But since I was a full time mom, I could do that. (And keep busy or go crazy with 4 children is a thing, I think.) I also made all our families clothing - including suits for my husband. Lots of people judged me harshly for my choice to be an at home mom.

That said, each of them has had weight struggles later in life; the first sugar was certainly not the last. As they've gotten older, they've come back to a balance. Guess what I'm saying is we each do the best we can for those we love. We don't ever get it perfectly, or even right.

Speaking the truth in love to someone is often the kindest thing that may ever happen to them -- and I'm sorry people didn't hear what you were saying.

It wasn't said out of judgment, or unkindness -- just a honest, hard fought observation!

People -- as our friend Leo says, "There's No One Like People".

I do find Dr V funny, but I don't have his background, his medical experience, or his delivery!
    I didn't have a weight problem while my kids were growing up either. We taught them healthy choices, always had dinner together. All three ate everything. It may have helped that we lived in San Fran and their friends were all nationalities. I still remember my youngest coming home asking me why I couldn't cook as well as Calvin's grandma. Calvin was Chinese. So all three were used to trying new dishes. They never had sugar cereal, soda, or junk food. I am not sure why I lost it and got fat when I was older!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Laurallynn's Avatar
    Name
    Laural
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Cuneen
    Last Activity
    04-20-2020 12:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am in total agreement with you. I find it hard to keep my mouth shut when the parents are trying to eat better and loose weight, but they continue to feed their kids all the junk. What do they really expect to be the end result for them in their lives???

I wish I knew then when my kids were little what I know now. They would be better for it.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I didn't have a weight problem while my kids were growing up either. We taught them healthy choices, always had dinner together. All three ate everything. It may have helped that we lived in San Fran and their friends were all nationalities. I still remember my youngest coming home asking me why I couldn't cook as well as Calvin's grandma. Calvin was Chinese. So all three were used to trying new dishes. They never had sugar cereal, soda, or junk food. I am not sure why I lost it and got fat when I was older!
    Sharon - what a great question. Why? In hindsight (always so accurate, lol) I was working full time; kids were gone. Lunch "hour" was hasty whatever was quick at my desk since mental health patients (especially kids) are pretty immediate crisis to crisis. Cooking for one (I was divorced) was boring.

But until I started taking some new meds, I didn't really go more than 10 over where I am posting VGS. Then it was a spiral. I even gained weight while in chemo!

Just so grateful for the amazing tool of the sleeve, and each of you on here. I wouldn't have made it through well without y'all <3

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I honestly don't know how I got so big. I have always been active, walked, skied etc at any weight. I never "binged" like ate a whole box of cookies or whole carton of ice cream. I think it was because my diet was all carbs and hardly any protein. At that time in my life if you would have said I could never eat meat, fish, or eggs ever again I would have said "fine." Living on carbs makes you fat!

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I've found carrot sticks with hummus satisfy the "chew" thing, keep the calories lower, and still give me some protein.

I agree about the carb consumption. They are generally easier to fix than a healthy meal. And eating fast... I used to love cheesy fries. I've had one very disappointing french fry in the past 2 1/2 years. It just wasn't "all that" now. Not worth it.