Timothee J. Friesen
    Last Activity
    07-26-2020 05:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hello I'm new here

Hello everyone.

My name is Kevin. I live in the Baltimore, MD metro area. I have been heavy my whole life. I specifically remember getting a physical to play sports in 8th grade. I was 6'1" and weighed 266 lbs at age 12-13. I have always been athletic and besides the large number on the scale I have been pretty healthy. Doctors have been suggesting I look into the gastric sleeve for years and I have been really hesitant to look into it. I am currently a police officer in the Baltimore area. Over the recent years I have gotten much heavier and currently at the heaviest I have ever been. I'm somewhere in the area of 330 lbs. I am married and have young kids and I am now considering this procedure. I want to be healthy and a good role model. I saw this forum and thought it would be a good idea to check it out. I hope to learn from you all and get inspiration. Thanks for reading.

2. The following 9 users said welcome Kevin_MD to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Hello I'm new here

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum. I’m sure you will get lots of help and advice on this forum. I am a new ‘sleever’ only 3 week post surgery and all is going great. The common message everyone gives on this forum is ‘I wish I had done it sooner’ ! I also have a friend who has had by-pass and he has lost 150 lb in a year and also says the same thing. So my advice to you is research, speak to medical people and find out which procedure is best for you and go for it ! Good Luck

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Not to be harsh or insensitive, but if you want to be around to see those young children grow up, you need to lose the weight. If you don't want them taking care of you at a young age, you need to lose the weight. The sleeve is the best way I know of! I had surgery over 6 years ago and have been at a healthy weight for over 5 years. For me losing the weight was super easy and fun. Now that I'm maintaining I still have to follow a healthy lifestyle, but I am committed and can do it. It would be easy to regain, because the more years you get out from surgery the more you are physically able to eat. But by then healthy eating and physical activity have become a habit. I would recommend watching some of Dr Vuong's youtube videos for inspiration. Just scroll through and look for ones for those considering a sleeve, pre-op advice, and what to expect early on. Best of luck to you! I wish I had mine sooner, it gave me my life back.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome

There is no doubt that being overweight can seriously compromise our health and sometime happiness.
    You have a young family and you want to be the best you can be for them.
    Being a healthy weight is one way that you can be "healthy and a good role model".

Personally being sleeved is the single best thing that I have done for myself. I have so much more energy, and healthy and very happy. I was sleeved over two years ago and am maintaining a healthy weight. The journey is ongoing though and you need to make changes to your lifestyle and way of eating. It is not a magic wand but is most certainly a great tool. I too wish that I had been able to have this surgery years ago. My life would have been very different.

All the best with your decision.

Please research a lot and ask as many questions on here that you have.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Hi Kevin! I have to echo scraebaer regarding being around for your kids but you know what? Acknowledging that you need to do this and doing research on your options are great first steps. Without all the weight you’ll be able to actually get out there and play with the kids rather than watching from the sidelines. My advice is to really get an understanding of what you’re getting into and the permanent changes you’ll have to make. I’m sure you’ve read by now that just having surgery isn’t going to get the job done. Like others, I wish I’d done it sooner, but I also know that I wasn’t in a place in my life emotionally where I could be successful. Best of luck to you.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Good morning! First, thank you for your service. Our first responders are really on the line for all of us, and Baltimore is no easy place.

GOOD decision about investigating the sleeve. I waited way too long (in terms of age, lol) to have my sleeve, but have lost close to 100 lbs, and almost all my health issues have corrected.

Sraebaer is correct; health & longevity are not to be overlooked, and you're children and wife will be so grateful to have lots of healthy years. Th ememories we make with our familly is what we leave behind.

I'm guessing your work insurance will cover you for this. It would be to their benefit for you to be in tip top shape.

It is a tool -- a very solid, strong one that will work for you. I found I needed some counseling on stress/eating and also on changing body image. Not lots, not hard, but good.

Also found keeping a journal of how I was feeling when i wanted to eat helped.

I still measure my food, and keep track of my weight daily. I wish I was as active as some of the folks who have had the sleeve, but I'm almost 68 and waited so long at too high a weight. I was 65 when I had the sleeve.

Please ask all your question. Everyone is in your corner.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kevin
    Surgeon
    Timothee J. Friesen
    Last Activity
    07-26-2020 05:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Thank you all for you kind words. The whole idea of this procedure is overwhelming to think about. When I was a teenager my father actually had the gastric bypass and had major complications. Kind of scared me mentally. He had to go back in for emergency surgery 3 days later to be "repaired" and still had months of recovery. I know things have changed a lot since then and I'm certain this procedure, as well as doctors and techniques, are probably so much more common then it used to be for doctors.

The more I think about it the more excited I get thinking about life after the procedure.

Congratulations everyone on your surgery. Best of luck on your journey! Thanks again for the support.
    Reason: Learning how to operate a forum

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Kevin,
    I am six years out and I can tell you that being sleeved is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. Like someone said, the sleeve is not the miracle, it is simply a tool, you still have to put in the work. Continue to do your research, find a bariatric doctor who has an awesome team and then make a decision that you feel is best for you and your family. Good Luck!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Lindalou2068's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Abunnja
    Last Activity
    02-25-2020 08:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Good luck Kevin. I have a son in the Baltimore area that is having the surgery next week. I am praying for him and will pray for you and your family. I am new to this journey. I will be ready for my surgery this summer. Your letter caught my attention and I decided to write to you. I am not sure what I could do to encourage you but I wanted to try. This surgery will change your life. It will give you more life and will give you more time for your children and future Grandchildren. Go for it! Best of wishes. This is a chance for you to do something for yourself that will be life changing. I can say this to you because I am 65 and this surgery was not available through my life and struggles with weight.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_MD View Post
    Thank you all for you kind words. The whole idea of this procedure is overwhelming to think about. When I was a teenager my father actually had the gastric bypass and had major complications. Kind of scared me mentally. He had to go back in for emergency surgery 3 days later to be "repaired" and still had months of recovery. I know things have changed a lot since then and I'm certain this procedure, as well as doctors and techniques, are probably so much more common then it used to be for doctors.

The more I think about it the more excited I get thinking about life after the procedure.

Congratulations everyone on your surgery. Best of luck on your journey! Thanks again for the support.
    Sorry about your dad, but think of the advances in bariatric medicine made over the years. Just the invention of the sleeve is one! And most don't even do the lap band anymore because it had so many complications. Best of luck with your decision!